Strange encounters with unusual animals or insects

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

It currently weighs 225lbs and it's girth is about 27 inches. It was about 100 days before it ate again. The German Shepard was about 70lbs, which is about 20-30lbs more than I normally feed these.

A few Mnytime factoids. They have 100 teeth that they use to capture their prey. A female can lay up to 100 eggs. The largets known one was 33 feet.

Here is a picture of one that is 24 feet and weighs 310lbs. It is supposed to be the the largest reticulated pythons held in captivity that is not living in a zoo.

Fluffy325.jpg

This one is 25 feet and 275lbs

marsha325.jpg

This one is 26 feet and 275lbs

Samantha325.jpg

Edited by Mnytime

Nothing quite this exotic but a couple of stories.One they talk about this day in Pagosa Springs several years after it happened was the day a Bear wandered into the local drug store in downtown Pagosa. If there was any lingering doubt that a Bear could clear out a store in a very short period of time that was put to rest that day.

One winter morning I was out walking just before dawn when I noticed a group of brown and tan(white?) shapes plowing through some deep snow.This also occured in the downtown area of Pagosa.It turned out to be a herd of Elk.The Elk and I were just a short distance from each other and for a few minutes we held our ground eyeballing each other before the Elk moved off toward the river. It was an interesting encounter.

God, I would love to have Big Cats. 

Of course being the mutiations nut I am I would love White Tigers.

I once saw a program on TV in which they showed a hybrid Lion-Tiger called a Liger or Lyger. It was born of a male lion and a female tiger. In anycase, the point is this: In lions the gene that controls growth (ie: stops it from growing beyond a certain point) is passed through the female. In tigers, the same gene is passed through the male. Anyway, in this hybrid (which is sterile) there is no gene to control its growth, so this is the biggest cat you have EVER seen! HUGE!

hobbs.jpg

sidebar_hobbs.jpg

Edited by Alexander

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I was hired to floss a croc? Well, it all started out after one of those drinking binges where we were dropping scorpions in each others beer - you know, just for a laugh - when out of nowhere I felt a pair of giant mandibles driving into my leg. 'The bugger snatched my leg' I cried, and limped off after the biggest bat you have ever seen, trailing my leg and an assortment of other limbs it had snatched from equally unwary victims from its mouth (not a bad day's haul for a giant unexpectedly-mandibulated limb-snatching bat). Well obviously without a leg and with poison coursing through my veins (what a lark- they told me my face went blue! Good job I was pissed I might have died!) I couldn't keep up with the bat. Now, you may not know that a lyger or liger, the sterile cross between a lion and tiger, lacks the gene controlling growth. Strange but true. I happened to know this, and as I raced after the bat this smidgeon of information came rushing back to me - a survival instinct, who knows? - as I stumbled over my friend Eric's pet liger. Well, quick as a flash I pulled my croc killing blade out of the pant pocket on my remaining leg and sliced off Ovaltine's (yes, the lyger was called Ovaltine) two collossal b*******s. They were like rugby balls. Now, I am sorry for Ovaltine but he was sterile and in a way they were no real loss. Fashioning a slingshot out of the recently shed skin of a 30 foot reticulated python I was able to whirl the first of the two organs I had ruthlessly hacked off Ovaltine around my head in a clockwise direction (it weighed about 11 pounds). Plumph! It had shot through the air and landed in the scrub off to the right of the bat's current position. Of course, I thought, as a right hander I should have been whirling it anti-clockwise! Naturally, I realised my first attempt with this vast improvised slingshot might fail, and that is why I had severed both of Ovaltine's jobbies ( I might add that Ovaltine, who had been unable to stand for three years due to his vast bulk, was for some weeks after this able to hobble around like a penguin on heat until once again succumbing to weight gain and collapsing to the ground in the exact spot where I had first fallen over him. Anyway I digress). So I had a second shot - and I knew it was my last. To cut a short a long and fascinating tale, the second rotund missile belted through the atmosphere and smacked straight into the bat's belly. The bat released my leg... but as its belly split the spiders it had snacked on earlier that day were spilled from its gut in a writhing mass... at the same time the first Ovaltinean missile had by a freak accident landed on a nest of giant hornets who flew angrily into the air...

Gentle reader - what did I do next? Rush downhill into the sea among the stingrays, the jellyfish and the sharks? Rush uphill, up the steep mountainside, trip over an unexpected llama and fall to my doom? Or was there enough left of the reticulated python skin for me to fashion a temporary armor to hold off the hornets and spiders while I reattached my leg using only the spit of the dodo well known for its healing qualities among primitive tribespersons but alas neglected today? And how did I get hired as a croc flosser after all of this?

Gentle jazzers - more in my next missive. Don't miss the missive!

Edited by David Ayers