My new eBay auction - Bechet SUMMERTIME TOCJ

DrJ

Interested parties will kindly direct their attention here:

Summertime: Sidney Bechet & the Port of Harlem Jazzmen TOCJ-66007

Part of the mega hard to find "Blue Note Classics" series of CDs, issued by Toshiba in the late 90s and covering Blue Note's early days.

I have finally now acquired all of this music on various Mosaic LPs so no longer need the CD. It's a killer, great and mostly obscure early (1939-40) Blue Note recordings in good sound - the likes of Frankie Newton, Josh White, and JC Higginbotham in addition to Bechet.

$5.99 initial bid, no reserve, happy bidding!

Edited by DrJ

Didn't sell...first item of many I've listed on eBay that didn't sell. Just proves again to me that pre-bop jazz just doesn't sell, sadly, even at a bargain price. These CDs cost $30+ new, have the original 30s cover art, and sound great!

Ah well...guess I'll keep it! -_-

Didn't sell...first item of many I've listed on eBay that didn't sell. Just proves again to me that pre-bop jazz just doesn't sell, sadly, even at a bargain price. These CDs cost $30+ new, have the original 30s cover art, and sound great!

Ah well...guess I'll keep it!  -_-

Try to sell it "world wide" next time.

Re: "Worldwide" sales on eBay...

Perhaps it's just bad luck but I've only ever had to file eBay dispute claims with international transactions...I'm not saying "people outside the US are dishonest!" Most definitely not. Rather, I just think a few sad people feel it's going to be easier to rip someone off from thousands of miles away and in another country.

For example, I've read similar opinions by sellers from other places (e.g. Germany and other European countries). Some of the Web-based used vinyl sellers have messages right on their order pages, saying they will no longer sell to U.S. buyers, because that's the only instances where they have had rudeness and major hassles. Distance gives some idiots license to be...well, idiots, regardless of their citizenship.

So that's why I post "US only" in my auctions. Sorry.

It's never, ever resulted in not selling an item before, that doesn't explain it folks. BTW, there were 9 "watchers" so clearly a few people were contemplating...

Edited by DrJ

Re: "Worldwide" sales on eBay...

Perhaps it's just bad luck but I've only ever had to file eBay dispute claims with international transactions...I'm not saying "people outside the US are dishonest!" Most definitely not. Rather, I just think a few sad people feel it's going to be easier to rip someone off from thousands of miles away and in another country.

For example, I've read similar opinions by sellers from other places (e.g. Germany and other European countries). Some of the Web-based used vinyl sellers have messages right on their order pages, saying they will no longer sell to U.S. buyers, because that's the only instances where they have had rudeness and major hassles. Distance gives some idiots license to be...well, idiots, regardless of their citizenship.

So that's why I post "US only" in my auctions. Sorry.

It's never, ever resulted in not selling an item before, that doesn't explain it folks. BTW, there were 9 "watchers" so clearly a few people were contemplating...

But surely it isn't the same with CDs, is it? I've been buying (for my own collection) and selling (from my own collection) CDs on eBay for several years, and I've only had problems with one (U.K.) buyer - which did not result in negative feedback, by the way. Wy not make a difference between selling LPs (US only) and CDs (worldwide)?

I've personally only had vinyl hassles, J.A.W., but I think it's telling that you've had only one hassle and yet it was an out-of-country CD buyer...illustrating just exactly what I'm saying.

I don't think recording format is so much the issue; rather it's the issues I mentioned re: distance and people perceiving "rip off opportunity."

Also, and again no offense meant, but I think there are some general cultural differences among collectors of vinyl AND CD in different countries that have made me equally cautious as a buyer whenever international deals are concerned. What's acceptable in some places to the average joe may not be elsewhere, grading systems differ, etc. Short of filing disputes, the only items I've ever had to return as a buyer, because I felt they fell far short of advertised quality, were (you guessed it) out of country - including Canada and the UK - and in both instances it was a protracted process with VERY slow response on the seller's end.

I just don't have the time to deal with all that and again, normally my stuff sells readily regardless.

My initial point remains that early jazz, sadly, just has a mega-small receptive audience unfortunately, which I find personally disheartening - not money wise - we're talking $10 or so at most so that's not the issue - but because so many people are missing out on so much great music...

Well Jazzmoose, sure!

First: in the interest of fairness it was actually only a $5.99 initial bid and nobody bid...I had estimated $4 shipping US priority, so $10 would be your total if you want it sent that way.

If you're OK with Media Mail shipping instead it would only be $8!!!

Just send me a PM with your preferred shipping method and address and I'll probably be able to get it out to you tomorrow PM. Thanks!