AACM's 40th Birthday

Just played:

Albert Ayler, Ghosts (Second Varition), Spritual Unity

Marc Ribot, The Truth is Marching In, Spiritual Unity

Henry Grimes and Marshall Allen on Blue Lake, first piece (bass and alto)

Yuganaught (Steve Rush, Tom Abbs, Geoff Mann), Stumble Chuck, live on Blue

Lake 6-24-05

Reggie Workman, Encounter, Summit Conference

Reggie Workman, Fast Forward, Cerebral Caverns

(Julian Priester is the featured artist, happy birthday Slide Priest)

I wonder what WBEZ was doing this hour?

aacmhome.gif

Coming this Fall in Philadelphia: "a series [of concerts] celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM) presented by Ars Nova Workshop and International House."

Edited by alankin

This came in to the station and thought it worth passing on...from Daddy O-Daily...

Mr Vega,

You're "WBEZ sucks! Please, please, please, look at me I'm playing Albert Ayler for dozens of listeners. I am one bad dude!" schtick, is a bit tired.

Sure, WBEZ isn't playing any Ayler, Brotzman, etc, but the other artists you list is pretty much what WBEZ plays - Duke, Dinah, etc. Do you attack Ed Love at WDET for not playing enough Albert Ayler? Probably not. Do Jim Wilke or Bob Parlocha often fill the late night airwaves with Henry Grimes and Willam Parker? What major public station as large as WBEZ (say, WBGO) plays any substantial amount of truly outside music? In Chicago, the audience who wants the Ayler brothers to bring their version of the truth marching in already listens to WNUR's 8 hours a day. And there are plenty of knowledgable college and community djs in small cities and towns all over the country dropping the needle on Ayler or Vandermark or whoever, so what makes you so brilliant? Are you actually a creative musician or something? I'm sure you do good work up there in the woods, but the incessant self-serving posts on Chi-Improv, All About Jazz and everywhere else make you really look desperate for validation. And the pre-occupation with WBEZ makes you look jealous...and makes you just come off as small time.

Do you spend all your non-radio hours on the web trying to promote yourself, or do you actually have a life? Maybe a family?

Just wondering...