This Thom Crooze debacle...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw of this interview on TV, it was a bit on the bizarre side, but I must confess that I rather enjoyed seeing media air-head, Matt Lauer, read publicly.

Scientologists are very wierd folks ..they will aggressively eschew prescription meds, psychiatry, all that ...

but at the same time , they place faith in such mumbo -jumbo as "audits" ..with "e-meters" to purge their minds of "engrams" ..

and all at a premium cost, of course ..

The Crooze-ster is just the latest and loudest nutjob to expond this BS ..

From what I saw of this interview on TV, it was a bit on the bizarre side, but I must confess that I rather enjoyed seeing media air-head, Matt Lauer, read publicly.

Two birds of the same feather. Cruse makes Lauer look normal.

I had a friend, years ago, who came back from Vietnam somewhat messed up, mentally. He ended up joining the Scientology cult and it was amazing to see the papers they gave him. When he decided that he had had enough (he felt less messed up when he compared himself to them), they sent him an incredible dishonorable discharge. I will never understand how intelligent people can fall for that crap--didn't it all begin as a joke or a dare by Mother Hubbard?

Too bad it was from Cruise who is so full of himself and as far as I'm concerned has zero credibility and would be nice if he didn't foist Scientology rubbish on everyone else but I guess you could say that about religion in general.

Too bad it was from Cruise who is so full of himself and as far as I'm concerned has zero credibility and would be nice if he didn't foist Scientology rubbish on everyone else but I guess you could say that about religion in general.

I agree Chris. Since his public "kidnapping" of Katie Holmes sideshow, what credibility he had left is gone. Now he's brainwashing her with his scientology cult bullshit and he's losing it on Today Show interviews. I'll bet his agent is pulling his hair out. Stick a fork in the old top gun. :wacko:

S. I. Hayakawa took Dianetics apart some 54 years ago, but still Mr. Cruise fell into it.  Maybe he doesn't read Hayakawa.

http://www.lisamcpherson.org/hayakawa.htm

Hm. Hayakawa makes the unproven assumption that Hubbard actually believed this bullshit himself. Frankly, I seriously doubt it.

Me too. I think Hubbard did it for the money.

I agree Chris. Since his public "kidnapping" of Katie Holmes sideshow, what credibility he had left is gone. Now he's brainwashing her with his scientology cult bullshit and he's losing it on Today Show interviews. I'll bet his agent is pulling his hair out. Stick a fork in the old top gun. :wacko:

"Kidnapping." Could not have said it better.

Scientology is one scary "Religion."

A number of years ago I had a very disturbed roommate who was a Harvard psychology major/stripper. After we kicked her out of the house for being a major flake (which had never happened before in the history of the place), some of her mail was still being delivered to us, including Scientology-related brochures.

If the general public could see these pamphlets, I have no doubt that they would be seriously FREAKED OUT by them. It's fairly well known that Hubbard affected a captain's hat, much like the one Alan Hale, Jr. sported on Gilligan's Island. Well, that ain't the half of it. The whole outfit is apparently run along quasi-military lines. In fact, as depicted in these pamphlets, the various levels of "officers" in the Scientology "religion" wear bogus Naval uniforms and insignia of their various ranks. And don't get me started on their pseudo-scientific "audits," "e-meters," and "engrams."

Honestly, you can't blame the Germans for banning these fucks, because their whole operation just reeks of a fascist mind-set.

Supposedly, the first thing one does when joining the Scientologists is to put down in permanent form all of the things one regrets having done: mistakes, secrets, peccadilloes, deviations, crimes, etc. Supposedly this is for the sake of taking a sort of baseline reading against which one can measure one's progress towards becoming "clear," which is the ultimate, extremely expensive goals of Scientologists (according to my ex-roommates pamphlets, each successive level of Scientology seminars is punitively costly). It has been suggested that these "confessions" make great blackmail material, so that the "church" holds those who are fortunate enough to achieve eventual celebrity under its thumb on pains of revealing these youthful indiscretions. So, if Cruise or Travolta, say, turned a few tricks or blew a casting director to get a job in their scuffling days (and don't doubt that such things happen to young, dumb men and women who desperately want stardom), or if they had ANYTHING to hide that they unwisely confessed to in their ignorant desire to find "the answer," then they are threatened with this secret coming out if they EVER repudiate Scientology.

"Kidnapped" indeed.

It's all so sad. Including the fact that we're talking about it here.

cruisetonite.jpg

Somebody please punch him in the face......

Let's do punch him, shall we?

I'm about his age and I still dress that way, sort of, but I'm not A FRIGGIN' MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!

What else do we want from the guy who institutionalized the fist-pumping YEEES!!!!

cruisetonite.jpg

Somebody please punch him in the face......

Let's do punch him, shall we?

I'm about his age and I still dress that way, sort of, but I'm not A FRIGGIN' MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!

What else do we want from the guy who institutionalized the fist-pumping YEEES!!!!

Well, if you had space aliens in your corner... ;)

S. I. Hayakawa took Dianetics apart some 54 years ago, but still Mr. Cruise fell into it.  Maybe he doesn't read Hayakawa.

http://www.lisamcpherson.org/hayakawa.htm

I took the time to read through Hayakawa's analysis. In addition to getting a true picture of scientology and its idiocy, I can't help compare it to Freud's psychoanalysis and his theory of the mind non-science and how that was tolerated by academicians for such a long time. I wish Hayakawa made that comparison to the extent it made sense. The Freudians and Scientologists have one similarity: They believe in it because it sometimes works. As Hayakawa clearly states, that does not necessarily mean these techniques caused the improvement.

One thing that idiots like Tom Cruise exploit is that modern psychology and psychiatry operate under the umbrella of 'experimental science' without a sound and well established theory of the brain/mind. So, to some extent, they also fall under the category: 'it is considered a sound practice because it works without knowing exactly why it works.' This is true of psychiatric medicines as well. The scientists have hypotheses that chemical imbalances cause psychosis but they themselves admit they don't know the mechanisms of how the imbalance causes these problems. That is the hole these morons exploit to slam these medicines. But atleast these medicines are tested in double-blind studies to eliminate the plecebo effect ( which is what Scientology and Freudians techniques take advantage of ).

Edited by chandra

Scientology is one scary "Religion."

A number of years ago I had a very disturbed roommate who was a Harvard psychology major/stripper.

More proof that I hung out with the wrong crowd in college...

The Scientology people still have tables set up at the entrance to the Harvard Square T stop every few days. I've often thought it would be very entertaining to stand next to the guy who holds up the "FREE STRESS TEST" sign with an identical-looking sign of my own that reads "CRAZY GREEDY CULTISTS" and has an arrow pointing toward the table.

Edited by Big Wheel

It has been suggested that these "confessions" make great blackmail material, so that the "church" holds those who are fortunate enough to achieve eventual celebrity under its thumb on pains of revealing these youthful indiscretions. So, if Cruise or Travolta, say, turned a few tricks or blew a casting director to get a job in their scuffling days (and don't doubt that such things happen to young, dumb men and women who desperately want stardom), or if they had ANYTHING to hide that they unwisely confessed to in their ignorant desire to find "the answer," then they are threatened with this secret coming out if they EVER repudiate Scientology.

My understanding of it was that it's more carrot than stick: that the celebrities don't have to do most of the expensive garbage that Scientology demands of its followers in exchange for being public faces of the cult that people can admire. But I could be wrong about this.

Oh yeah, wasn't Chick Corea's Scientology proselytizing at least partly to blame for the breakup of Circle?

Edited by Big Wheel