This Thom Crooze debacle...

This brings back unhappy memories of attampting to meet Chick after an RTF concert. I was working for a radio station in Phoenix at the time and station employees were invited to a meet and greet for Chick after the show. The catch-the meet and greet was at the Scientology church. When we got there it didn't take long to get very bad vibes.

The scientologists could care less that we were just there to say hello to Chick they told us in so many words to join up or get out. Needless to say we left and I never got to meet Chick and to be honest with you I view that as no great loss.

Jim and I briefly met Chick and his wife in Florida; they were perfectly kind and friendly.

I'm sure it would have been nice meeting Chick but the Scientology brownshirts never gave us the chance.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let that list scare you.  They include anyone who's every been "involved" with it in any way.  I saw the entry for Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson) who "learned a lot about it from her acting class."  How much more vague can ya get?  Also, when the Church of Scientology gives stats on their "members," they include anyone who is on a mailing list.  Everyone knows that mailing lists are way bigger than actual memberships to anything.

Not so much scared as appalled. I'm sure that a lot of people on the list are not involved with Scientology but a lot of them are. It's disturbing that bright,talented people are taken in by these snake oil salesmen.

So Stanley Clarke dropped out and has since spoken out?  Interesting.

I remember also that Lamont Johnson (not on the list) was involved for a while, but wrote a letter to Jazz Times/Down Beat saying he was out and happy to be so.  He died soon after, poor guy, just after having released a record with which he hoped to make a comeback.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Nicole Kidman is most definitely out.

Gabor Szabo?

Bertrand.

Gabor Szabo not only dropped out but sued Scientology but he dropped the suit a year prior to his death.

Don't let that list scare you.  They include anyone who's every been "involved" with it in any way.  I saw the entry for Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson) who "learned a lot about it from her acting class."  How much more vague can ya get?  Also, when the Church of Scientology gives stats on their "members," they include anyone who is on a mailing list.  Everyone knows that mailing lists are way bigger than actual memberships to anything.

Not so much scared as appalled. I'm sure that a lot of people on the list are not involved with Scientology but a lot of them are. It's disturbing that bright,talented people are taken in by these snake oil salesmen.

Talented? Yes to maybe.

Bright? I'm not so sure about that.

This brings back unhappy memories of attampting to meet Chick after an RTF concert. I was working for a radio station in Phoenix at the time and station employees were invited to a meet and greet for Chick after the show. The catch-the meet and greet was at the Scientology church. When we got there it didn't take long to get very bad vibes.

The scientologists could care less that we were just there to say hello to Chick they told us in so many words to join up or get out. Needless to say we left and I never got to meet Chick and to be honest with you I view that as no great loss.

Jim and I briefly met Chick and his wife in Florida; they were perfectly kind and friendly.

I'm sure it would have been nice meeting Chick but the Scientology brownshirts never gave us the chance.

Chick was very very nice and he and I had a nice discussion about the Hammond organ. Cool cat. I am glad he didn't start lecturing about Scientology, however.

Chick was very very nice and he and I had a nice discussion about the Hammond organ. Cool cat. I am glad he didn't start lecturing about Scientology, however.

Consider yourself lucky. :(

Edited by chris olivarez

It WILL be fun, though, seeing the right-wing Christians and the Scientologists fight it out in the next presidential election...

Assuming that the Mormons stay out of it. (Here in "Liberal" Massachusetts, in case you didn't know, we have a Mormon Governor! I often picture Henry Adams, among others, SPINNING in their GRAVES over this. Alnost makes it worthwhile...

Almost....) :bad:

I don't bellieve the director is into Scientology, but as an article that 7/4 linked to earlier in the thread indicates, Hubbard may well have been influenced (wittingly/unwittingly?) by Wells and the War of the Worlds itself in concocting his "methodology."

Gotta wonder where they dug up these "readers"...

I'm curious about that myself, Moose.

A friend of mine had this observation about the Modern Library "readers" poll:

"The prevalence of Ayn Rand and Scientology books makes me think that the methodology for compiling the readers' list was open to a measure of ballot box stuffing. Both those crowds (do they cross over? seems like they ought to) are the types who would sit at their computers all night pushing "Send" on a ballot e-mail."

Sounds plausible to me. Still, for over 20 years, the book I have most frequently seen people (almost always women) reading on the Boston subway is Atlas Shrugged. Last sighting was only a month or so ago, and I've spotted other Rand titles, too. The Bible is a very distant second.

Edited by Kalo

Still, for over 20 years, the book I have most frequently seen people (almost always women) reading on the Boston subway is Atlas Shrugged.

A = fucking A, man.

Danielle Steel ain't all that in Boston, huh?

Of course not. Why would you bother to dig into someone else's fantasy when you have so many strapping, hot young men like me up here?

:D

July 1, 2005

War of Words

By BROOKE SHIELDS

London

I WAS hoping it wouldn't come to this, but after Tom Cruise's interview with Matt Lauer on the NBC show "Today" last week, I feel compelled to speak not just for myself but also for the hundreds of thousands of women who have suffered from postpartum depression. While Mr. Cruise says that Mr. Lauer and I do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.

Postpartum depression is caused by the hormonal shifts that occur after childbirth. During pregnancy, a woman's level of estrogen and progesterone greatly increases; then, in the first 24 hours after childbirth, the amount of these hormones rapidly drops to normal, nonpregnant levels. This change in hormone levels can lead to reactions that range from restlessness and irritability to feelings of sadness and hopelessness.

I never thought I would have postpartum depression. After two years of trying to conceive and several attempts at in vitro fertilization, I thought I would be overjoyed when my daughter, Rowan Francis, was born in the spring of 2003. But instead I felt completely overwhelmed. This baby was a stranger to me. I didn't know what to do with her. I didn't feel at all joyful. I attributed feelings of doom to simple fatigue and figured that they would eventually go away. But they didn't; in fact, they got worse.

I couldn't bear the sound of Rowan crying, and I dreaded the moments my husband would bring her to me. I wanted her to disappear. I wanted to disappear. At my lowest points, I thought of swallowing a bottle of pills or jumping out the window of my apartment.

I couldn't believe it when my doctor told me that I was suffering from postpartum depression and gave me a prescription for the antidepressant Paxil. I wasn't thrilled to be taking drugs. In fact, I prematurely stopped taking them and had a relapse that almost led me to drive my car into a wall with Rowan in the backseat. But the drugs, along with weekly therapy sessions, are what saved me - and my family.

Since writing about my experiences with the disease, I have been approached by many women who have told me their stories and thanked me for opening up about a topic that is often not discussed because of fear, shame or lack of support and information. Experts estimate that one in 10 women suffer, usually in silence, with this treatable disease. We are living in an era of so-called family values, yet because almost all of the postnatal focus is on the baby, mothers are overlooked and left behind to endure what can be very dark times.

And comments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general.

If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease. Perhaps now is the time to call on doctors, particularly obstetricians and pediatricians, to screen for postpartum depression. After all, during the first three months after childbirth, you see a pediatrician at least three times. While pediatricians are trained to take care of children, it would make sense for them to talk with new mothers, ask questions and inform them of the symptoms and treatment should they show signs of postpartum depression.

In a strange way, it was comforting to me when my obstetrician told me that my feelings of extreme despair and my suicidal thoughts were directly tied to a biochemical shift in my body. Once we admit that postpartum is a serious medical condition, then the treatment becomes more available and socially acceptable. With a doctor's care, I have since tapered off the medication, but without it, I wouldn't have become the loving parent I am today.

So, there you have it. It's not the history of psychiatry, but it is my history, personal and real.

Brooke Shields, the author of "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression," isstarring in the musical "Chicago" in London.

I think Atlas Shrugged is a pretty good book - but if so many people are reading it I can't see the effect on the world. Unless they're all practicing how to be the bad guys instead of the heroes. Maybe all the women are fantasizing about running railroads. Maybe that's why they read it on the subway.

Mike

Budd Schulberg was horrified to find out that modern-day readers study WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN? as a "how-to" book for succeeding in Hollywood.

Edited by ghost of miles

Earlier this morning I read the four part article on Scientology on Salon.com. Pretty interesting stuff. Pretty wacky stuff - not just the aliens, but their stance on medicine is pretty scary.

L. Ron Hubbard's autopsy showed that he was taking a psychotropic drug at the time of his death.

Earlier this morning I read the four part article on Scientology on Salon.com. Pretty interesting stuff. Pretty wacky stuff - not just the aliens, but their stance on medicine is pretty scary.

L. Ron Hubbard's autopsy showed that he was taking a psychotropic drug at the time of his death.

Heretic! :P

You'll probably get sued for saying that if any Scientologist happens to read this thread. :ph34r: