Katharine Hepburn has died

Guest Chaney

She leaves a legacy of some wonderful films for us to remember her by. When I was a kid in college, I saw her onstage in Chicago in this god-awful musical "COCO". The material stunk but she was on-stage almost constantly and I don't remember every seeing an actor who could totally dominate a stage even under lousy circumstances. Before the second act some machinerey broke down, so they couldn't proceed until they fixed it. She came out and charmed the hell out of the audience for like twenty minutes until they fixed the thing. That twenty minutes was almost better than the whole play. She was absolutely one of the greatest, RIP.

How ironic! I was feeling a bit depressed this weekend and decided to rent some movies I knew would make me feel better. One of them was "The Philidelphia Story," which I actually haven't gotten around to watching yet. I'll have to watch it tonight in Kate's honor.

I always thought that she was the one actress who would've played a great Lois Lane...

Guest Mnytime

One of the screens greatest. Never a bad or dull performance.

R.I.P.

God Bless

You can be sure that TCM will be having a festival of her films sometime this week.

Guest Mnytime

TCM is just starting to show The Lion in Winter now for those interested.

Hepburn was 61 at the time and Peter O'Toole was only 36 playing someone in his 50's.

O'Toole was nominated twice for and Oscar for playing Henry II in two unrelated films. I believe this is the first and only time this has happened. The first was in Becket in 1964, which was 4 years earlier than Lion in Winter.

Edited by Mnytime

Have to chime in with praise as well for Bringing up Baby...the film that finished her career at RKO, and Hollywood for awhile, yet when you see it today, you just can't figure it out....Oh, and Adam's Rib was mentioned as well, very good film....Like Mnytime said, TCM will no doubt run many films, and these will be shown for sure...well, just checked and they already have it set up, and a rememberance from Robert Osbourne...Strange, no African Queen...that Docu I remember being very good, because she herself narrates it!

IN MEMORY OF KATHARINE HEPBURN

TCM revises its schedule on Thursday, July 10th to pay tribute to Katharine Hepburn, 1907-2003

Schedule for July 10th:

6:00 AM Mary of Scotland ('36)

8:15 AM Holiday ('38)

10:00 AM Woman of the Year ('42)

12:00 PM Adam's Rib ('49)

2:00 PM Pat and Mike ('52)

4:00 PM The Lion in Winter ('68)

6:30 PM Katharine Hepburn: All About Me

8:00 PM Bringing Up Baby ('38)

10:00 PM The Philadelphia Story ('40)

12:00 AM Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? ('67)

2:00 AM Little Women ('33)

4:00 AM Undercurrent ('46)

A Fond Memory by Robert Osborne

Call it a schoolboy whim, call it madness, but I once had the nerve to ask Katharine Hepburn to dinner. I'd never met her, mind you, but does a reason like that ever stop a cheeky college boy, filled with the flush of being 18? At the time, I was an undergraduate at the University of Washington, and Hepburn was in Seattle on tour in a play. Hepburn! Live! In my town! It was too good to be true. It also seemed to be my mission to entertain her. She was, after all, a visitor in my domain, probably didn't know a soul in Seattle and wouldn't have a clue on how to fill those empty hours when she wouldn't be on stage. It was clearly up to me to rescue her. (Oh, the way the brain works when one is 18!). I tried to do it in an MGManner. I took some flowers to the front desk at her hotel (the local papers had mentioned where she was staying), and enclosed a note with an invitation to dinner at a spiffy restaurant (one I could ill afford but, well, I'd worry about that later). And I waited.

And waited. Silence. Hmmm, there must have been a breakdown in communication. So I bought a second bouquet, though a smaller one, out of financial necessity, again enclosing a note to my pal Kate. (By now, in my mind, we were old, old friends or, at least, about to be.) Still no reply . A third bouquet didn't bring any better results. Then, soon after, the play ended, and Miss Hepburn and her fellow actors left town and moved on to the next engagement. I was crushed, then chagrined, then disappointed, then disenchanted. Never once did wisdom become a part of the equation. My only relief was the fact there'd been no restaurant bill to pay. But, as often happens with 18 year olds, I soon forgot about the episode, and moved on to some other pursuit. And then one day a letter arrived, with the logo of a prestigious Seattle hotel in the left hand corner. And inside were some words I've treasured ever since.

The note read, "You are certainly very enthusiastic, and one quality I have enormous regard for is enthusiasm but, alas, in this instance I cannot respond - except to thank you for your beautiful red roses - they are particularly lovely ones - and to tell you that I never go out anywhere - but thank you for asking me. I have dinner before the play and I have to go home and go to bed afterward - otherwise I should die of exhaustion. I am sorry to disappoint you. But I'm not too sure it's a good idea for a young man to go about asking strange actresses to supper. Yours faithfully, Katharine Hepburn." Has anyone had their knuckles rapped with more class and style? I doubt it. Style and class have always been synonymous with Miss Hepburn. In honor of her memory, TCM will show 11 of her films and one documentary on Thursday, July 10th beginning at 6:00 am ET. (see schedule above).

by Robert Osborne

Edited by BERIGAN

Berigan - Great story from Mr. Osborne. Thanks for sharing. After I'd read the career/personal retrospectives that accompanied the notice of her passing, I couldn't help thinking of the song "My Way". While far from a favorite, it succinctly sums up the way this extraordinary gal lived her life. I have always had enormous respect for Hepburn as an actress, but even more for her "my way" way of living. This is a person who attacked life on her own terms... asking no quarter and giving none in return. An American original. She will be missed.

Up over and out.

Guest Mnytime

The Hepburn Fest on TCM starts at 6AM EST, 3AM PST tonight.

A factoid on the first film they are showing, Mary of Scotlond. Hepburn and the director John Ford disagreed on how the scene of Mary going to the gallows should be shot. So Ford told Hepburn to direct it if she thought she could do a better job. She did and Ford ended up liking what she did and kept it in the film.