Yeah. It's usually used to describe Angela Merkel, I know, but I didn't want to insuate anything. Nothing. Nada. Not really.

Yeah, right...

P.S.: And it would have to be "Dorftrottelin" then, anywho, err how.

Isn't that "Frau Dorftrottelin"?

Like "Frau Bundeskanzlerin", I guess :o

:lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. It's usually used to describe Angela Merkel, I know, but I didn't want to insuate anything. Nothing. Nada. Not really.

Yeah, right...

I don't think that there is a title that goes along with that.

At least I hope there isn't. :huh:

Yeah, right...

I don't think that there is a title that goes along with that.

At least I hope there isn't. :huh:

Seriously, there was a lengthy discussion on one of the German TV channels about that the other day. They couldn't agree whether it should be "Bundeskanzlerin" or "Frau Bundeskanzler", should Frau Fraktionsvorsitzende win the next general election, either in October or next year (depending on the outcome of the Bundestag vote on Friday and the Bundespräsident's decision if Herr Bundeskanzler Schröder loses that vote)

Seriously, there was a lengthy discussion on one of the German TV channels about that the other day. They couldn't agree whether it should be "Bundeskanzlerin" or "Frau Bundeskanzler", should Frau Fraktionsvorsitzende win the next general election, either in October or next year (depending on the outcome of the Bundestag vote on Friday and the Bundespräsident's decision if Herr Bundeskanzler Schröder loses that vote)

Herr and Frau can shove it.

( it = our constitution [nicely rolled up for a snug fit] which they certainly don't give a hoot about in this power gamblin' thing they're into at the moment).

"You can't even speak your own fucking language" - Frank Zappa

I can speak it, I just have problems spelling the words sometimes. Spelling was never a strong point for me.  :blink:

How about a game of Monopoly for, say, a thousand Euro? :g

For our overseas friends, that's a little over $1,200

Herr and Frau can shove it.

( it = our constitution [nicely rolled up for a snug fit] which they certainly don't give a hoot about in this power gamblin' thing they're into at the moment).

You're right, it's not a pretty sight.

Hey, we all grew up in the digital age (at least partly).

Write first, then think (if you have the time ... most people don't).

Man, I sometimes long for the times when people still wrote letters. They sat down, thought for a moment or two, then put pen to paper and proceeded to write down what they had contemplated at some length before. The ones I got did not have all of those errors. The same people now send me illegible and demented e-mail ... .

Edited by neveronfriday

A few currently irritating me on the net...

who's/ whose

women/ woman (I mean, really!)

"should of" instead of "should have" (or even "should've")

and the trusty aberrant apostrophe.

Sure, we all make the odd typo, but standards of speech and literacy in the UK seem to have gone downhill alarmingly over the last 10 years.

And don't even get me onto 'text speak'. I h8 it. :angry:

• 1 month later...

Principle vs. principal- the principal principal understood the principle- why don't magazines, newspapers, etc. get that right.

I really don't think this distinction is worth keeping up. The two words have defintiions that are too similar and share a common root (princeps). We should just pick one and chuck the other.

Etymology:

principle

c.1380, "fundamental truth or proposition," from Anglo-Norm. principle, from O.Fr. principe, from L. principium (pl. principia) "a beginning, first part," from princeps (see prince). Meaning "origin, source" is attested from 1413. Sense of "general rule of conduct" is from c.1532. Used absolutely for (good or moral) principle from 1653.

principal (adj.)

c.1290, from O.Fr. principal (11c.), from L. principalis "first in importance," from princeps (see prince). The noun is c.1300 in the sense of "ruler;" c.1340 in the sense of "money on which interest is paid;" 1827 as "person in charge of a public school," though meaning "head of a college or hall" was in England from 1438, and the basic sense of "chief, commander, ruler" is recorded from 1388. Principally "in the first place, mainly" is from 1340.