Eric Alexander "Dead Center"

Soul Stream

AMG review:

Review by Matt Collar

Recalling the moody and atmospheric mid-to-late-'60s work of fellow reedmen Wayne Shorter and Hank Mobley, tenor saxophonist Eric Alexander's Dead Center has a reflective quality that lends itself to such timely compositions as McCoy Tyner's "Search for Peace." It also reveals Alexander's lithe and gentle touch on standards including "Almost Like Being in Love," while lesser known works like Herbie Hancock's "Sonrisa" showcase his deft harmonic invention and superb rhythmic sense. Similarly, pianist Harold Mabern's groove-oriented "A Few Miles From Memphis" is propelled along by drummer Joe Farnsworth's soul-inflected beat with Alexander nudging lines back and forth deep inside the rhythm pocket. While not a significant departure from his past work, Dead Center nonetheless finds Alexander revealing himself as a grounded and muscular improviser who never takes his eye off the target.

BTW: I still haven´t got this one, but have been spinning Eric Alexander & Grant Stewart´s disc "Reeds and Deeds - Wailin´ (Criss Cross, 2005)" lately, and saw them live last weekend, with a different group (w. organ and drums) and they´re simply smooooking!!!

Edited by EKE BBB

What John said.  Solid EA disc, well worth hearing if you dig him.

Kind of a big "if" on a jazz board, Dan. Is it possible for a jazz fan not to "dig him"? Hard to fathom as he seems to be "it" these days.

The man has everthing, chops, soul, technique beyond belief, super fat tone, timing, and a really likable style.

saw EA with harold mabern and george coleman a jazz at pearl's in s.f. a few months ago. i was already a fan of his(i have most of his cd's). had a very brief conversation with him during intermission. one of the main reasons i like him is because he is a big fan of and has been greatly influenced by DEXTER GORDON, my favorite ts player. my favorite dex cd is Go, ea's favorite is either

Gettin Around or Doin Allright can't remember which. i must say that imo it might be time for george coleman to hang up his axe. somewhat erratic and still drinks a lot.......

Kind of a big "if" on a jazz board, Dan. Is it possible for a jazz fan not to "dig him"? Hard to fathom as he seems to be "it" these days.

The man has everthing, chops, soul, technique beyond belief, super fat tone, timing, and a really likable style.

Ask Jsngry - I think its fair to say that he admires the man's technical skill but hears nothing that he hasn't heard before, and done better, by EA's influences. And I'd dare say there are others here who have not leaped on the Eric Alexander bandwagon.

Thus, the conditional clause in my post.

I've seen him twice, and didn't particularly care for him either time. I enjoyed seeing Harold Mabern, but I found Eric Alexander's performance quite dull and left after one set (and considering I might have the chance to be at the Village Vanguard once or twice a year, you would normally have to drag me out of there). He seemed like he had listened to and copied every hard bop saxophonist of the '50s and '60s (all of whom I would rather listen to). I heard no personality or originality.

The other time I saw him, he was on the stage with with Dewey Redman, Joe Lovano, and Lew Tabackin, and was definitely out of his league.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Maybe both times were off nights (for him or for me).

Ask Jsngry - I think its fair to say that he admires the man's technical skill but hears nothing that he hasn't heard before, and done better, by EA's influences. And I'd dare say there are others here who have not leaped on the Eric Alexander bandwagon.

I've seen him twice, and didn't particularly care for him either time. I enjoyed seeing Harold Mabern, but I found Eric Alexander's performance quite dull and left after one set (and considering I might have the chance to be at the Village Vanguard once or twice a year, you would normally have to drag me out of there). He seemed like he had listened to and copied every hard bop saxophonist of the '50s and '60s (all of whom I would rather listen to). I heard no personality or originality.

The other time I saw him, he was on the stage with with Dewey Redman, Joe Lovano, and Lew Tabackin, and was definitely out of his league.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Maybe both times were off nights (for him or for me). 

Let me guess. You're one of "those people", who interprets honks, squeals and the "atonality banality" as "innovative" and "original"?

As you might have guessed, I'd take Dexter Gordan over Mr Braxton, Mr Whitecage, Mr Moronette and latter day Mr Coltrane. That's just me however.

In Eric Alexander, I hear early Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, 'Bird, Hawkins and some Brecker. That aint bad at all.

PS Nobody is original.

Sounds like late 50s, early 60s "golden age" jazz to me. I rather liked that period. The man makes great music in that vein, IM"H"O. Sure beats most of the "alternatives" these days.

I saw him in concert several months ago with Harold and he's good although Harold was better. And I had this disc but it just didn't jump out at me. Yes, it's solid but there's something missing. There was quite an extended discussion that involved EA on a discussion about one of Dan's BFT.