Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

A friend has offered to give me his Mosaic Chet Baker/Russ Freeman studio recordings set. I'm pretty excited, to say the least... is there a discography online for this someplace? I know I already have some of the material (the West Coast Classics CD that came out a few years ago, for starters), but I'm also sure that there's a fair amount I don't have... and I always like the booklets.

Posted

The material's all been made available on CD since the Mosaic happened- the WCC you mention is disc one, "The Best of Chet Baker Sings" is disc two, and "Quartet w/ Russ Freeman" is disc three. I don't think track order was changed, even.

Enjoy the set! "Give", you say? Your friend is a friend indeed, fella. :tup:tup:tup

  • 21 years later...
Posted

I’m wondering how other owners of this set experience the sound quality. Maybe it’s my copy but I really dislike it. The trumpet sounds very distorted and shrill at times. the rhythm section sounds miles away. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Pim said:

I’m wondering how other owners of this set experience the sound quality. Maybe it’s my copy but I really dislike it. The trumpet sounds very distorted and shrill at times. the rhythm section sounds miles away. 

We're talking about The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet Featuring Russ Freeman, right?  I put it on just now and it seems ok to me.  The trumpet is recorded a little hot but doesn't sound bad to me.  Rhythm section sound and balance is fine, IMO.  This is based on a couple tunes from the disk 1 of 3.  I haven't listened to this set for a while but last time I listened to the whole thing I did not notice any sonic issues...

Posted
4 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

We're talking about The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet Featuring Russ Freeman, right?  I put it on just now and it seems ok to me.  The trumpet is recorded a little hot but doesn't sound bad to me.  Rhythm section sound and balance is fine, IMO.  This is based on a couple tunes from the disk 1 of 3.  I haven't listened to this set for a while but last time I listened to the whole thing I did not notice any sonic issues...

Thanks. It seems most present at the first 2 discs so it might be a pressing issue with my copy then. That’s a bummer 😑

Posted
26 minutes ago, Pim said:

Thanks. It seems most present at the first 2 discs so it might be a pressing issue with my copy then. That’s a bummer 😑

The first disk at least seems like one of those fairly high recording level things where it sounds best if you turn the volume up a bit.  Otherwise you only hear the trumpet.

Posted
1 hour ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

The first disk at least seems like one of those fairly high recording level things where it sounds best if you turn the volume up a bit.  Otherwise you only hear the trumpet.

 

1 hour ago, felser said:

Those live 50's Pacific Jazz albums never had good sound quality IMO.

Listened to my cd and Japanese LP the Trumpet Artistry of and they sound definitely better. The band is indeed a bit far out in the mix but the trumpet sounds way clearer and more clean. Must have been bad luck then. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...