Jackie McLean on channel 7 NOW

Christiern

Yes, but the show webpage

says no transcripts or videotapes available.

Oh, didn't know that it was a special show...

well, maybe we can still send about 50 emails

to show interest - you never know.

---

Now playing: The Propositions - Bad Seed

Chris - Thanks so much for this alert. It was so fortunate that I happened to have the computer on at home at just the right time. Otherwise I'd be kicking myself. I gotta say, I'd imagine this TV program would be more interesting to someone who didn't know jazz than the Jazz Legends show. You really got a feeling for Jackie as a person and you knew that Noble wasn't some ignorant Charlie Rose kind of interviewer. Seeing the actual buildings wasn't any big deal, but having these guys on the street instead of in the studio made for a good contrast to the old studio interview and the performance footage. I'd pay $20 to own this on DVD to be able to show students, especially since Jackie won't be around forever.

Mike

1. Did ANYONE tape this? Sounds like a great show!

2. Jackie actually wrote a theme song that was used for this show for a while in the early seventies. It was even copyrighted, but not issued (that I know of). Did they play his theme in this episode?

Gil Noble was in the audience when Jackie played at the Iridium on 5/28/04. During Bobby or Grachan's solo, Jackie got off the stage and went over and gave Gil a big hug.

Bertrand.

To follow up on what Mike posted, there is also some great footage of Jackie teaching in the Jackie McLean on Mars video. Fascinating stuff - he gets into a heated debate with his students concerning the relative merits of Hot Dog vs. Sun Ra.

He also says at the beginning that Dewey Redman taught him an exercise to strengthen his embouchure.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Since Sunday, I found out Comcast added some more chanells to my cable. One on them is ABC+. Like It Is in on at 9pm every night (at least every weeknight).

I'll keep an eye on it folks! I'm hoping to see a re-run I can tape. :P