Charlie Hunter

Jazz Kat

Kenny Brooks -- the tenor player on Natty Dread -- is a phenomenal jazz sax player. Amazing. Unfortunately, that one record has been his biggest exposure so far (and solo space on that album is rather limited), and he's been doing a lot of touring duty with hippy rock bands lately to make a living. I wish his jazz playing was more extensively documented, because he is a monster. Coming from kind of a Joe Henderson realm, but really unique and hip. Played one of the best versions of I Thought About You I've ever heard. His regular trio in SF for many years (with the great Eddie Marshall on drums) was one of my favorite live experiences, hearing them countless times back in Brunos' 90s heyday. His playing live with Hunter was amazing too, getting to stretch more than on the ND album.

What Charlie does on guitar is radically different from fingerstyle guitar playing, and requires a different level of brain-splitting (for lack of a better or less made-up word) and independence. That doesn't make it better or anything, I'm just pointing out that it's more different than it might appear, especially with jazz style soloing laid over the top.

I'll always have a warm spot for Hunter, as Charlie was an upcoming local and one of the first people I saw playing jazz live regularly when I finally turned 21 and was able to go to the (then plentiful) Bay Area jazz clubs! My favorite Hunter album is still Ready Set Shango (the ballad writing in particular is gorgeous on that one), followed by Right Now Move (I'm glad he hooked up with the outstanding John Ellis & Curtis Fowlkes). I wish his duo work with Bay Area drum master Scott Amendola (a regular in his quartet for years) had been recorded -- those were some amazing shows, and preferably (in my opinion) to his recorded duos.

I'll always have a warm spot for Hunter, as Charlie was an upcoming local and one of the first people I saw playing jazz live regularly when I finally turned 21 and was able to go to the (then plentiful) Bay Area jazz clubs!

was that back in the early '90s with Jay Lane on drums? I would have loved to catch some of that. He probably still had a lot of development to go but there must have been plenty of good, raw energy based on what I hear off his first trio record.

As far as comparing Hunter's sound to other guitarists, his later stuff often reminds me of Scofield first, but I'm not an authority on guitarists' styles so that sense of comparison could have very little factual basis as far as I know

Edited by joeface

As far as comparing Hunter's sound to other guitarists, his later stuff often reminds me of Scofield first, but I'm not an authority on guitarists' styles so that sense of comparison could have very little factual basis as far as I know

I think he owes a rather large stylistic debt to Sco. Nothing wrong with that, though.

The Groundtruther album is the latest, I believe.  Unless there's been a TJ Kirk album, or Garage a Trois since then - which is very likely.

Seems like there was a TJ Kirk release not to long ago, but I'm going by memory, which is like trying to walk a tightrope across the Grand Canyon with greasy shoes... :wacko:

joeface -- yeah, that was with Jay at first and then Scott Amendola (who was already in TJ Kirk w/ Hunter and is, in my opinion one of he great drummers out there right now -- check out his leader records!). Scott was actually in the band by the time Bing Bing Bing was released (Jay was still on that record), if I'm not mistaken. If not, he joined right after. It was a great live band, from the early trio days. Hunter has gotten a lot more advanced through the years, but they were really good then, and there was a really good energy from them and around that scene at the time.

The TJ Kirk record which was released pretty recently (Talking Only Makes It Worse) is a live date from when they were still a band (recorded after their second album), so it's not really new, but it's pretty damn good. They did some reunion shows last year, but no new material to date.

Considering I've got at least one Hunter CD on me at all times ... I guess that makes me a fan. Heh heh ....

Who cares what they call his music, the cat communicates such a positive and realistic vibe on the day-to-day reality of living trying to stay hip, one that so many people can relate to. I don't know anyone who considers him to be relying on his unusual technique or axe.

It actually doesn't matter what instrument Hunter would have chosen to play ... he would have been and is a massive talent and a massive influence to so many .... and he's on top of his game, right here, right now.

Anyone who was out and about in the Bay Area jazz scene in the early 90s has gotta remember Hunter's $4 Tue night gig at Elbo Room ... the place was consistently packed ... and it wasn't a bunch of jazz-heads either. Word got around that that was the best time and place to be all week any week.

I remember Charlie told me once he was just barely making the rent on that gig and another at the Up And Down club. As far as his rise to fame (and maybe fortune) I say right on man! CH deserves it.

Check out GAT Emphasizer and Stanton Moore All Kooked Out for some other heavy rotation Hunter.

Edited by johnagrandy

Just put on Charlie's Right Now Live DVD and realized something about it that I had completely forgotten about...

The 'camera angles' option gives you the choice of watching the gig normally or as a close up of Hunter playing! :o

Just the thing for guitarists wanting to copy his licks. :huh::blink::crazy:

I've been diggin' on "Friends Seen and Unseen" more and more.  It's quickly becomming a favorite.  Gotta see this guy live sometime.

Come back to MI, Charlie!!

I hear ya! I been checking his website. Can't find a show in New York! Friends Seen and Unseen is my only album of his. It's damn awesome!

• 11 months later...

I've been diggin' on "Friends Seen and Unseen" more and more.  It's quickly becomming a favorite.  Gotta see this guy live sometime.

Come back to MI, Charlie!!

I hear ya! I been checking his website. Can't find a show in New York! Friends Seen and Unseen is my only album of his. It's damn awesome!

agreed!!!

:tup