Jazz Oracle Rare Sides Disc

jazzbo

Just noticed today that there is a "Gift from the President"--a disc of rare sides offered free with the purchase of one Jazz Oracle cd from www.worldsrecords.com

VARIOUS ARTISTS

56881.gif

A GIFT FROM THE PRESIDENT

Description

A selection of rare items discovered by Jazz Oracle's President, John R.T. Davies, and his friends. It is offered as a gift from John R.T. to anyone interested in the music he so dearly loved. Free with the purchase of any Jazz Oracle CD (while supplies last).

Songs

Mother Me, Tennessee (a)

Maybe (She'll Phone Me, She'll Write Me) (b)

From Monday On ©

If You Never Come Back (d)

Tishomingo Blues (e)

The Wild Dog (f)

Singing The Blues (g)

Sweet Sue- Just You (h)

Jamaica Shout (i)

Olga (j)

Freddy's Fog (k)

Pumpernickel (k)

Naughty Man (l)

Without You Emaline (m)

Charleston Swing (n)

Walking The Dog (o)

Lazy Day (p)

You Understand (q)

If I Could Only Read Your Mind (q)

Peg O' My Heart ®

You're Lucky To Me (s)

Personnel

(Artists: a- Wingy Manone & His San Due Strutters;

b- New Orleans Jazz Band;

c- Red McKenzie & His Music Box;

d- Mound City Blue Blowers;

e- Duke Ellington & His Orch.;

f- Joe Venuti's Blue Four;

g- Al Steele & His Orch.;

h- unknown band;

i- Coleman Hawkins & His Orch.;

j- King Oliver & His Orch.;

k- Blue Steele & His Orch.;

l- Fletcher Henderson & His Orch.;

m- Bubber Miley & His Mileage Makers;

n- Carolina Cotton Pickers;

o- Eddie Lang's Orch.;

p- The Westernaires;

q- Benny Carter & His Orch.;

r- The Anglo-American Alliance;

s- Jeff Healey & Friends) Details

Label: JAZZ ORACLE

Number: 8047

Itemcode: 56881

Format: CD

Genre:

Dates: [1924-1936, 1967, 2001]

Price: $0.00

Buy Now

Thanks, Lon! As it so happens, I placed a fairly large order with Worlds Records last night (for some clearance items); but I was able to call them this afternoon and tack on the Cliff Jackson Jazz Oracle CD as well as "A Gift from the President".

I 've had my copy of this one for about three weeks now. There's a couple of really nice things on it by the "president" himself, John R. T. Davies. He plays some really knocked-out alto (and a bit of baritone) on "Peg O' My Heart" and "You're Lucky To Me". J.R.T. was one of a kind, but thank goodness he trained Ted Kendall really well to be his successor. Just listen to the wonderful Diz and Bird Town Hall concert on Uptown for proof.

Amen Don! Yeah, I like Davies' playing as well on other things I've heard. Thanks for weighing in about this latest disc.

I think that Jazz Oracle is among the best labels. I really like the Purvis and Pollacks mentioined above, and the Louisian Rhtyhm Kings, the two Sam Mannings, the Arkansas Shout, Dallas Rhythm, the Cliff Jackson, the Fess Williams, the Dorsey Bros. . . . If you have an interest in early jazz and hot dance, these are great releases.

Liner notes like nobody else!

The Oscar Papa Celestin disc is a mighty fine one too, so are the four volumes of the Original Indiana 5.

Off topic, if you need to hear more John R. T., he is also on a Jazzology disc "Dick Sudhalter & The Anglo-American Alliance,the Tuesday Band" (JCD 274). I don't have it but will be getting it some day.

• 2 weeks later...

was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, silly me! Just got my order today, haven't listened to it yet, got the Dime store hot dance cd to get the free one. I love the Purvis as well, have the 3 Dorsey cds, and if you like the Indiana Five, check out the Halfway House Orchestra, MUCH better than I could have ever imagined it would have been! :tup

Yes, this "gift" cd is very nice! Great collection of rareties, and the more contemporary stuff is also great!

Got the Paramount Hot Dance Obscurities Volume Two, and the Edison Hot Dance Obscurities Volume Two as well. . . . And Kendall (they are both predominantly or completely Kendall remastered) does himself very proud.