BFT 27 - DISC ONE ANSWERS

JSngry

O.K....to MY ears....Red Holloway plays a chorus followed by Harold Ousley with a chorus... and then Red returning again later for a chorus...

But the REAL story here is friggin' McDuff and Joe Dukes. NOBODY swings the bass like this. Say Groove Holmes all you want, but for me in the organ bass hiearchy McDuff reigns supreme. Jack sounds like Ray Brown kickin' someone's ass behind the club...

Edited by Soul Stream

Agreed - that's funkiest 6 I think I've ever heard.

You think it's Ousley & not Vick?

Harold Vick is DEFINATELY playing the solo after the guitar solo. I think Red and Ousley split the first solo (like you said, their's may have been spliced.)

....however I say this knowing Vick is not credited at all on the CD. Eyes say one thing EARS say another. Guess we'll never really know. I'm no tenor player but I've listened to Vick probably more than I've listened to Sonny Rollins.

Edited by Soul Stream

Now that I know they're Prestige I'm worried that I might have the Brother Jack and the Jug. Better review my emusic discs.

I thought sure everyone would hate the track I hated on Disc 2, but I'll save that for tomorrow's answer thread. :bad:

But the REAL story here is friggin' McDuff and Joe Dukes.  NOBODY swings the bass like this.  Say Groove Holmes all you want, but for me in the organ bass hiearchy McDuff reigns supreme.

I agree 100%. McDuff's bass lines swing and have a beautiful logic to them. He's my favorite on organ bass too.

He played upright before he became an organist. I'd like to have heard THAT !

I honestly didn't get Martino from my initial listening, which is suprising; usually there are dead giveaways in his lines. Great fun on that track, though. :)

Joe, I didn't either. I actually thought it was more Benson than Martino on first listen. Then changed my mind. Actually it's VERY un-Martino. But it's even MORE un-Benson upon closer analysis. (CD says it's Martino)

I honestly didn't get Martino from my initial listening, which is suprising; usually there are dead giveaways in his lines. Great fun on that track, though. :)

Joe, I didn't either. I actually thought it was more Benson than Martino on first listen. Then changed my mind. Actually it's VERY un-Martino. But it's even MORE un-Benson upon closer analysis. (CD says it's Martino)

Maybe not a quite a dead giveaway, but hearing the way he phrased around the middle-toward-the-end of his solo is what made me flip my opinion over to Pat. I think (generally speaking) there may have been fewer dead giveaways in his 1966 playing than say, in 1976.

Agreed - that's funkiest 6 I think I've ever heard.

You think it's Ousley & not Vick?

Harold Vick is DEFINATELY playing the solo after the guitar solo. I think Red and Ousley split the first solo (like you said, their's may have been spliced.)

....however I say this knowing Vick is not credited at all on the CD. Eyes say one thing EARS say another. Guess we'll never really know. I'm no tenor player but I've listened to Vick probably more than I've listened to Sonny Rollins.

O.K>>>I'M TOTALLY CHANGING MY MIND! :blush:

I think it's pretty darn easy to figure this one out after you listen to other cuts from the album a little bit. Solo 1 is Red Holloway and Solo 2 is Harold Ousley. No Harold Vick anywhere (I'm eatin' my words). Matter of fact, isn't the coda 2 tenors playing in unison?

Well Jim, looks like you gotta put your thinking cap (and ears) back on for a minute. :g

Well now that I know it's Duke on trk 13, it sounds just like him! Never would have imagined him doing that, though - though if I'd ever heard that album I never would have forgotten it.

As for trk 12, I knew the tune sounded familiar, but when I heard it in the car I started singing "Hey There" to the girls and it kinda just stuck that way in my head. :P