Harold Vick "Straight Up"

Soul Stream

My discussion with Jim about identifying the sax players on his BFT led me back to a CD I had bought quite a while ago but didn't really listen to all that much. Harold Vick's "Straight Up," a reissue of his RCA LP from 1966. Initially I was a little put off by the fact that all the songs were relatively short, (the longest is 4:47, the shortest is 2:39).

So, I popped this into my CD player while driving around last night and Vick's power and TONE just grabbed me like he always does. A real VOICE, that's always "in" but constantly searching and prodding.

Anyway, don't know if DustyGroove still has this one, but it was relatively cheap and is worth picking up for anybody interested in some great 60's tenor.

Here you go:

Straight Up

Harold Vick and His Orchestra

Featuring: Harold Vick (ts, ss, fl), Virgil Jones (tp), Al Dailey (p), Warren Chiasson (vb), Everett Barksdale (g), Walter Booker (b), Hugh Walker (d)

REFERENCE: 82876643542

LABEL: RCA

Dynagroove Stereo Recording

Tracklisting:

1. If I Should Lose You

2. Like a Breath of Spring (Bossa)

3. Gone With The Wind

4. Straight Up

5. We'll Be together Again

6. Lonely Girl

7. A Rose For Wray (Bossa)

8. Flamingo

9. Winter Blosson.

Recorded in New York City, 1966.

Mike,

What's the personnel on this?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

I had STRAIGHT UP on vinyl years ago, and it fell victim to a big LP purge. Now I'm thinking about it again. :rolleyes: Thanks alot. ;)

Went to Musty Groove to look at the CD, and happened upon this (WTF?)...

vick_harold_watchwhat_101b.jpg

I mean... WTF?

snl54.jpg

:unsure:

=====

Edit:

Looks like I can't post the second pic...

http://members.fortunecity.com/delanay/snl54.jpg

... SNL's Czech brothers. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jim R

I had STRAIGHT UP on vinyl years ago, and it fell victim to a big LP purge.  Now I'm thinking about it again.   :rolleyes:  Thanks alot.   ;)

Went to Musty Groove to look at the CD, and happened upon this (WTF?)...

vick_harold_watchwhat_101b.jpg

I mean... WTF?

Ummm... what can I say?

Nice hat?

Is that Harold Vick in drag?

Edited by Kalo

For JimR :lol:

festrunk_6.gif

Thanks... unfortunately, all I can see is "User posted image". I see the URL here in the quoted text, but I can't even get that URL to work (the dreaded "forbidden" message <_< ). Oh well. :) If anybody can post an image of the Festrunk brothers, you'll win... well, you'll win nothing, but I for one will be in awe of you. :cool:

How could a Harold Vick thread go so wrong.... :bad:  :g

I blame the person(s) who copyrighted the image of the Festrunks. If not for that glitch, this thread would have blossomed and thrived- I just know it. :)

btw.... the term I always heard as a kid was "missile tits"... not "torpedo tits"... Damn, I'm struggling with this whole question now. Kind of shakes one's foundations, you know? :unsure: