William Faulkner thread

Guest Mnytime

Re: McCarthy, his early books are all based in Tennessee (where he grew up if I remember correctly). It was only with Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy that he began focusing heavier on Texas/Mexico/Native Americana.

Well here is the problem. These are the only books of his that I have read. Which of his earlier books would you recommend that I read that would best show his being a cousin of Faulkner?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm... Blood Meridian and All the Pretty Horses!

Lon also said what I didn't want to say, so as not to start any unnecessary Mason-Dixon strife.

Why do you feel that Pynchon/Beckett relate so closely to Faulkner? Their unique use of language is one thing, but quite disconnected in structure. What else am I missing?

Guest Mnytime

Look I know very well that Texas is considered part of the South. When I was talking about "Western" I did not mean to say that Texas was not considered a Southern state.

Joe

Like I said it's been awhile since I read those books but from what I recall of them Faulkner being a cousin really doesn't come to mind for me. I will just have to fit them into my reading schedule to refresh myself. Honestly I don't think I have read "All the Pretty Horses" since it came out more than twice.

Conn, a good friend of mine, another Faulkner enthusiast, swears by Styron's work and has tried and tried again to get me into his work because of our shared interests. I attempted This House On Fire a few times and for the life of me could not get with it. Any recommendations?

Can't improve much on GOM's comments. I highly recommend "Confessions of Nat Turner" (riveting) and his book of essays which I've forgotten the name of. Sounds like GOM has read more of Styron than I have.

Guest Mnytime

I posted this in the Reading Thread:

Last couple months I have been re-reading some of my favorite Russian Lit by Authors not named Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. ;)

The Master & Margarita-Mikhail Bulgakov

Dead Souls-Nikolai Vasilevich Gogol

Diary of a Madman-Nikolai Vasilevich Gogol

Father's & Sons-Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev

Home of the Gentry-Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev

A Hero of Our Times-Mikhail Iurevich Lermontov

Oblomov-Ivan Goncharov

Cancer Ward-Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn

Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk- Kikolai Leskov

The Life & Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin-Vladimir Voinovich

Since that post:

Pretender to the Throne: The Further Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin-Vladimir Voinovich

The Heart of a Dog-Mikhail Bulgakov

The Complete Prose Tales of Alexandr Sergeyevitch Pushkin

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich-Alexandre Isaevich Solzhenitsyn

The Foundation Pit-Andrey Platonov

At the moment I am reading for the first time:

Moscow to the End of the Line-Venedikt Erofeev

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Borrowed these quotes from Jim's thread:

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?" - Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

I do believe Welty has much to teach us. And, if you are a jazz listener and have neer read "Powerhouse"... well, you should!!!

The thing to remember about Flannery O'Connor, who indeed could write a Faulknerian sentence or three, is how important her Catholicism is to her. Ditto Walker Percy, perhaps the last of the truly "great" (whatever that means) Southern novelists. Anyway, O'Connor is much closer in some respects to one of Faulkner's contemporaries, and one of the first "Jewish writers" of the modern American era, Nathaneal West. MISS LONELYHEARTS and DAY OF THE LOCUST have proved to be hugely influential works, and in some unexpected ways. The name "Homer Simpson" comes from DOTL, e.g.

As for Pynchon being influenced by Faulkner -- well, when he uses the word "preterite" in CRYING OF LOT 49, I firmly believe a neon sign reading FAULKNER is supposed ot go off over your head. its up to the reader to sort out the layers of spoof, homage etc. in that diction.

All of which is my way of kind of shooting the wheels off this whole American regionalism thing. All these writers share similar moral concerns, even Pynchon (maybe ESPECIALLY Pynchon), when you get right down to it, no mater how similar and disimilar their "styles" appear to be.

Finally, a word for one of my favorite critical works on Faulkner -- the Coen Bros.' BARTON FINK...

MAYHEW

If I close m'eyes I can almost smell the

live oak.

AUDREY

That's hamburger grease, Bill.

MAYHEW

Well, m'olfactory's turnin' womanish on me -

lyin' and deceitful . . .

His eyes still closed, he waves a limp hand gently in the breeze.

. . . Still, I must say.  I haven't felt

peace like this since the grand productive

days.  Don't you find it so, Barton?  Ain't

writin' peace?

BARTON

Well . . . actually, no Bill . . .

Barton looks nervously at Audrey before continuing.

. . . No, I've always found that writing comes

from a great inner pain.  Maybe it's a pain

that comes from a realization that one must

do something for one's fellow man - to help

somehow to ease his suffering.  Maybe it's a

personal pain.  At any rate, I don't believe

good work is possible without it.

MAYHEW

Mmm.  Wal, me, I just enjoy maikn' things up.

Yessir.  Escape...It's when I can't write, can't

escape m'self, that I want to tear m'head off

and run screamin' down the street with m'balls

in a fruitpickers pail.  Mm . . .

A few years back, my boss gave me a yellowed old Penguin paperback (from 1959 I think) of some early Faulkner called New Orleans Sketches.

I'll send it - gratis - to the first Faulkner fan board member who PMs me.

And what about Robert Penn Warren?

I've read All The King's Men several times, and many years ago read quite a few novels in a concentrated period, and remember them fondly.

I think some I haven't read have been RVGed in the Voices Of The South Series.

(Up to page 80 of The Hamlet)

Edited by kenny weir

Anyway, O'Connor is much closer in some respects to one of Faulkner's contemporaries, and one of the first "Jewish writers" of the modern American era, Nathaneal West. MISS LONELYHEARTS and DAY OF THE LOCUST have proved to be hugely influential works, and in some unexpected ways. The name "Homer Simpson" comes from DOTL, e.g.

Wow; I just read these a couple of years ago and didn't even notice "Homer Simpson"! Time for another read... :blink:

The Life & Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin-Vladimir Voinovich

Pretender to the Throne: The Further Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin-Vladimir Voinovich

You've mentioned some of my favorite non-Tolstoy/Dostoyevsky Russians in your post. I'm especially fond if Voinovitch. Have you read "The Fur Hat"? It's a riot! I also enjoyed "Moscow 2051".

Anyway, O'Connor is much closer in some respects to one of Faulkner's contemporaries, and one of the first "Jewish writers" of the modern American era, Nathaneal West.  MISS LONELYHEARTS and DAY OF THE LOCUST have proved to be hugely influential works, and in some unexpected ways.  The name "Homer Simpson" comes from DOTL, e.g.

Wow; I just read these a couple of years ago and didn't even notice "Homer Simpson"! Time for another read... :blink:

Yeah, it's actually hard nowadays to read "Day of the Locusts" without picturing the Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons". Kinda spoils it for me. Otherwise, a very good book. In a similar vein, I recommend the Pat Hobby stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

• 1 month later...