Verve Vault iTunes tracks from LPs???

RDK

I was sampling some of the new Verve Vault albums on iTunes and was surprised to find at least one album - Gene Ammons' "Makes It Happen" - that seems to be a needle drop. Listening through phones on my 'puter I can clearly hear vinyl pops and ticks. I was shocked, given that they want nearly $10 for this download. :o

Does anyone who uses iTunes more than me know if this is a fairly common or rare thing?

Are you sure that the out of print cd in question is not of recordings originally done on disc? I have this somewhere and think that may well be the case.

I've downloaded a half a dozen or more titles from the Vault and they sound fantastic! Most I've gotten are Japanese cds digitized directly. . . . Really great sound!

I know that most of them sound very good, Lon - as you say, straight transfers (most likely) from Japanese releases, but the Ammons in question is from 1967. It's actually from a Cadet/Argo LP. It just seems odd that they'd release a needle drop, at least without saying so.

I know that most of them sound very good, Lon - as you say, straight transfers (most likely) from Japanese releases, but the Ammons in question is from 1967.  It's actually from a Cadet/Argo LP.  It just seems odd that they'd release a needle drop, at least without saying so.

The Ammons in question was issued as an lp in 1967 but is a reissue of 78S. You will kick yourself and curse Verve when you go to their site and examine the contents of an Ammons disc called Young Jug. It contains 8 of the 10 tunes you downloaded plus 12 more. I can't believe they did this.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I know that most of them sound very good, Lon - as you say, straight transfers (most likely) from Japanese releases, but the Ammons in question is from 1967.  It's actually from a Cadet/Argo LP.  It just seems odd that they'd release a needle drop, at least without saying so.

The Ammons in question was issued as an lp in 1967 but is a reissue of 78S. You will kick yourself and curse Verve when you go to their site and examine the contents of an Ammons disc called Young Jug. It contains 8 of the 10 tunes you downloaded plus 12 more. I can't believe they did this.

They just did the same thing with "Cannonball Enroute". These 8 tracks are also on "Sophisticated Swing", which has *28* tracks in addition to "Enroute". I guess they are giving you the "option" to get the 8 tracks off "Enroute" for $7.92 versus all 36 for the exorbitant sum of $19.98.

There is a job at Sony/BMG waiting for these guys ...

Ah, thanks for the info. Makes sense now. But I'm okay - I only sampled the tracks and didn't download anything. Hmm. I guess liner notes would be handy with this on-line only release... :D

Yeah, I can't believe they did this either... :rolleyes: