Earl Zindars is gone!

brownie

The name will be familiar to fans of Bill Evans. Zindars was a long-time friend of the pianist and composed some of the most beautiful pieces associated with Evans.

From the San Francisco Chronicle today

EARL ZINDARS -- JAZZ, CLASSICAL COMPOSER

- Julian Guthrie, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, August 19, 2005

A funeral Mass will be said today for Earl Zindars, a prolific and prominent composer of jazz and classical music, who died at his home in San Francisco on Monday. He was 77 and had battled cancer.

Mr. Zindars, who expressed himself more through his music than words, composed his final piece less than a month ago from his Richmond District home. It was called "Roses for Annig" and was dedicated to his wife of 43 years.

"He and my mother had one incredible relationship," said Helene Zindarsian, who took the Armenian spelling of her father's name. "He had this incredible rose garden that he loved to tend. He took such care in writing this last piece to my mother. His hands were shaking. He knew it was going to be his last song."

Mr. Zindars was born in Chicago in 1927. He received his bachelor's degree in music from DePaul University and earned a master's degree in music composition from Northwestern University. He attended Oxford University on a Fulbright scholarship.

He was living in New York when he met Anne Bohigian, whose first name is "Annig" in Armenian. She was a jazz singer headlining at Radio City Music Hall with a group called "The Axidentals." Mr. Zindars was a timpanist in the band. They shared a rehearsal room. Six months later, they were married.

The Zindars moved from New York to San Francisco in 1963. He taught music composition and theory for six years at San Francisco State College and performed with the Ernie Heckshire Orchestra at the Venetian Room in the Fairmont Hotel. He was the longtime timpanist with the San Francisco Golden Gate Park Band and a member for 30 years of the Bohemian Club, and regularly performed at club events.

"Their life was very creative and complimentary," Helene Zindarsian said of her parents. "My father was introverted and quiet. My mom is an extrovert. It was wonderfully harmonious. He would play at the piano, and she would stand and sing."

Mr. Zindars received numerous awards throughout his career, including from the National Institute of Arts and Letters, and Broadcast Music Inc.'s "Jazz Pioneer Award," given in recognition of his "long and outstanding contributions to the world of jazz." He participated in fellowships at Yaddo, Edward MacDowell and the Huntington Hartford Foundation.

He had a long and fruitful working friendship with the late jazz pianist Bill Evans. His songs were featured by jazz greats ranging from Cannonball Adderley and Donald Byrd to Eddie Daniels and Philly Joe Jones. Pianist Bill Cunliffe recently produced "How My Heart Sings," dedicating the CD to Mr. Zindars' music.

His compositions also were performed by symphonies across the country. In the Bay Area, his works were played by the San Francisco Symphony Chorus, San Francisco Symphony Brass, San Francisco Chamber Players and the San Jose Symphony Orchestra.

He was especially captivated and inspired by the music of the Impressionists, including Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel and Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Mr. Zindars is survived by his wife, Anne Zindars, and his daughters Helene Zindarsian and Karen Zindarsian Ugarte, all of San Francisco.

The funeral Mass will be said at 11 a.m. today at St. Gregory Armenian Church. The family asks that donations be sent to St. Gregory Armenian Church, 51 Commonwealth Ave., San Francisco, CA 94118.

My name is Helene Zindars, daughter of Earl Zindars.

A very special thank you to all who have posted their thoughts here and elsewhere. Overflowing waves of support have reached our family from all over the world -- both from friends and from perfect strangers -- and kindness like yours has touched my family deeply.

It is a great comfort to know that my father's music is alive in all of you.

Sincerely,

Helene

www.zindars.com