storm comin'!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the purpose of the thread:

Its still just a strong tropical storm, but now I am hearing that landfall is predicted for the Broward County/Palm Beach County line, which puts me and Marty very much in the area that will get the "worst" of this storm, whatever that may be.

Glad we bought a generator back in June, I just hope we've got enough gas.

Further update:

Landfall actually occured further south than anticipated, between Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood. Still we've had some very strong winds and heavy rain, yet the power and satelite TV has held on.

Don't know how long that will last though as the up-to-the-minute radar shows another strong line of storms just starting to come on shore near Boca/Delray. If I post again tonite, then we made it through that one, too. :)

Edit: Just realized that Evan is keeping the images at the start of the thread up to date, and you can see exactly where the eye made landfall.

Edited by Dan Gould

I'm guessing the Florida folks are without power now. Anyone see the footage of Jim Cantore(SP?) on the weather channel? This little ol' category 1 Hurricane packed a hell of a punch where he was (Ft Lauderdale I think) storm came ashore at around 6 PM, but at 7:40, they showed him getting batted around worse than I have seen folks during Hurricanes with winds well over 100 MPH. With winds being so strong for so long explains why 1.4 Million are without power.

And the storm is expected to become a bigger hurricane in the Gulf, and head for the Panhandle :( Oh, and right over Atlanta like every former hurricane. :angry:

Glad your okay on the east coast. We thought it might be comin' up here close to the Tampa Bay area but looks like it stayed well south of us. Feel bad for our fellow Floridians in the Panhandle -- looks like it might head for them -- they keep gettin' hit!!

Whenever these things come close, I always have to think about which Mosaic set I'd have to grab if I was making a run for it -- probably my Andrew Hill set!! :o

Not too bad a storm here in Boca - we lost power for 9 hours (pretty standard here for even minor storms) when the eyewall came through yesterday, but power is back, no damage, not even a lot of rain. Pretty hot and dark last night however!!!!! Poor folks in Miami were hit with this bad and they didn't even expect it. It was supposed to go through Broward westward, not that odd south turn. Very strange storm.

Well, this storm just went from 115MPH, to 145 in a 3 hour period! :ph34r: Let's hope it overdoes it, gets real strong, then peters out somehow before landfall...a lot of people in New Orleans do not seem to be taking this seriously at all. Could be a horrible situation wherever it lands, but if it hits N.O. I can't even imagine how bad this storm would be.

Make that 160 mph winds, Category 5, as of 6 am.

Hurricane Center "Strike Probability" chart shows New Orleans as the number one most likely point of landfall, together with some other LA town, Buras. This could be incredibly ugly. My wife just told me that FEMA's model for a Category 4 or 5 Hurricane hitting New Orleans predicts 60,000 deaths, potentially.