Vinyl Storage a suggestion?

porcy62

Searching for a bigger house I have at this very moment a storage problem with my records: lack of space. Do you think it would be safe to store my Mosaic lp sets horizontally for a while?

Befeore you start with irony: I need a bigger house for the boys, they are growning faster then my collection!

Edited by porcy62

My gut feel is that it is probably OK for a few weeks. Most important consideration I guess is that they are not stored near sources of damp and local heat.

I know the problem with the Mosaic box storage issue. No sooner does one have things sorted nicely than more boxes need storing, resulting in not-so-critical LPs being moved upstairs to free up some space etc.

There's always the option of moving the boys out.. :lol:

There's always the option of moving the boys out..  :lol:

...and wife too :g

I'm curious as to why you need to store your vinyl on their sides.

What about sturdy wooden boxes, like the open produce-shipping boxes made of 1x2s, with the bottom of the boxes raised with two extra 2x4s? You can use the boxes later for storage of other stuff, once you set up your record shelves. I am really nervous about storing vinyl flat. Building these boxes is easy. Even I can do it.

Go to the building supply store and buy some 1x2s. Cut them to size by measuring you largest record then add about six inches. So, the length of the boards for the bottom and the sides should be about 16", which is enough room for boxed sets as well as single LPs. You can make the box square or a little longer. Don't make it too long though. The height should be about 12", because you don't want the records to be hard to riffle through. Build a frame to those dimentions, then nail the boards onto that. Don't nail the boards on right next to each other. The box should be about 3 boards high, evenly spaced. The reason you are not making a solid box is that if you do, it will weigh ten pounds less than a good-sized elephant, with records in it.

Remember, I've done this and it's easy. also, don't forget to nail the extra two lengths onto the bottom, to raise it off the floor.

Edited by patricia

No doubt the traditional styled "fruit crates", with vintage labels (or facsimiles thereof) affixed to the ends. Unless one is frequently moving the LP's around (as a group), I've never understood the appeal of wooden crates for storing LP's at home (unless one is a vintage fruit label enthusiast, of course, which I could easily understand). They're rough, and in some cases splintery. When low on shelf space, I've always found that the floor (in a clean, cool area) is a perfectly good place to stand a bunch of LP's (or Mosaic boxes). All you need is a good pair of bookends. I'm like Patricia, btw... storing LP's flat worries me.

I've never understood the appeal of wooden crates for storing LP's at home (unless one is a vintage fruit label enthusiast, of course, which I could easily understand).  They're rough, and in some cases splintery.  When low on shelf space, I've always found that the floor (in a clean, cool area) is a perfectly good place to stand a bunch of LP's (or Mosaic boxes).  All you need is a good pair of bookends.  I'm like Patricia, btw... storing LP's flat worries me.

Jim, you're right about the traditional fruit crates being splintery. New boards are smooth. That's why it's better, I think, to build your own. The $20.00 pricetag is high. You can build them for less and they are exactly the size you want them to be. Also, you then have good sturdy boxes for other stuff, once you have shelves.

I would never store my LPs flat, especially in a basement, or other storage area that I don't go into every day. When I cruise the yard and garage sales for records, damage to the covers is usually caused by moisture, not flooding, but moisture from being stored flat. The covers' texture is slightly spongy and the corners aren't flat. The records are usually fine, but to me, the covers are just as important.

Man, at the used record store yesterday they had some old "Peaches" record crates for sale...$20 each!!!  :o

What's a 'Peaches' record crate? Anything to do with The Stranglers? :blink:

The Peaches record chain. They were all over Miami when I lived there and they sold "peach" crates for LP storage.

Forgot to mention... another drawback (to me) in terms of crate storage is that you have to flip through your LP's "frontally". If the crate isn't close to being full, the LP's at the front and at the back are in danger of getting warped from the weight of the other LP's, or extra wear and tear from constantly hitting the front or back of the crate. On the other hand, if the crate is full, you can't search very easily for what you're looking for. Mosaic boxes wouldn't be quite as susceptible to damage perhaps, but I've always preferred shelves and searching via the spines.

=Jim R,Aug 28 2005, 12:04 PM]

Forgot to mention...  another drawback (to me) in terms of crate storage is that you have to flip through your LP's "frontally".  If the crate isn't close to being full, the LP's at the front and at the back are in danger of getting warped from the weight of the other LP's, or extra wear and tear from constantly hitting the front or back of the crate.  On the other hand, if the crate is full, you can't search very easily for what you're looking for.  Mosaic boxes wouldn't be quite as susceptible to damage perhaps, but I've always preferred shelves and searching via the spines.

If the crate isn't close to being full, just find something to put in the front of it to keep the albums vertical. I usually use a folded towel, but anything that will fill the space is good. Not a problem.

As for the back of the last album, or the front of the first album hitting the crate itself, no problem. What you do, if you worry about that, is to just put a cut-to-size sheet of cardboard at the front and back [or even better, a couple of Kenny G. albums which we all know are disposable. ;)]

Then you can flip through them easily. Just don't fill the box so that they are so tight that you don't have easy access to them.

Also, putting them in the boxes in the same order that they were on your shelves and labelling the box is mandatory.

I think I mentioned that when I moved last time my daughter packed my records. She simply put them in the crates, with no thought as to their order. Nightmare on a stick, I can tell you. :blink:Pack your records yourself, or regret it

Edited by patricia

• 2 years later...

I have a room full of books and LPs and have lined the walls with these stackable modular storage units:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001B8BOA?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn

It gets to be a bit pricey after a while, at $13 or $15 a pop, but they have that mod European 60s look and they're functional.

The middle and bottom shelves are adjustable, and the unit is high enough to create 2 levels of LPs per unit.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

not bad....is it sturdy?

Very sturdy; I've had them for years and never had a problem. The only thing I would recommend is that if you stack these 3 units high (as I've done) that you attach the top to the wall with some sort of a bracket.

Because you can attach the top middle and bottom shelves wherever you want relative to the sides, you can break up the pattern and do stylish things, i.e. create as smaller space between sections of records where you display chachkas or whatever.

Also, be sure the one you're getting has the holes and pegs for stacking (I'm assuming there are variations of this model out there). I got mine at Home Depot and they cost around $13 or $14 a throw at the time.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I think I mentioned that when I moved last time my daughter packed my records. She simply put them in the crates, with no thought as to their order. Nightmare on a stick, I can tell you. :blink:Pack your records yourself, or regret it

I do agree with you a thousand per cent, Patricia. The removals guys packed my albums, when we moved nearly three years ago. It took two or three weeks to get them into some semblance of order. And then I had to redo the job to get it really right.

That's OK for a guy in my position - bugger-all to do all day but rearrange his record collection (though I gave myself an RSI in my left shoulder that is still not quite right). But if you've to earn a crust or two, then I can see the process dragging on forever - like painting the Forth Bridge, because you buy more records than you have time to sort out.

MG