mikeweil

Label: Foa Records - http://www.foarecords.com/

Serial: FRGJ-2004

Title: Milt Jackson: Lillie

Milt Jackson

Ichiro Masuda

Details:

1. I Owes Ya (Milt Jackson)

2. What You Say Dr. "J"? (James Williams)

3. Lillie (Milt Jackson)

4. Used To Be Jackson (Ray Brown)

5. Compassion (Milt Jackson)

6. Our Delight (Tadd Dameron)

7. Ne Afterglow (Milt Jackson)

8. Bags Groove (Milt Jackson)

9. The Very Thought Of You (Ray Noble)

B00092QQNY.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Found this here.

Here is another version of it:

Milt Jackson w/ Ichiro Masuda Quartet

On a related note:

Joe Locke will have a new recording: Rev-elation! Joe Locke with the Milt Jackson Tribute Band coming out in October on Sharp Nine. A live recording ( at Ronnie Scott's) with Mike LeDonnw, Bob Cranshaw and Mickey Roker.

With the lack of info here (and on the linked pages) about Ichiro Masuda, I did a few searches. For anyone else who is unfamiliar with the name, he's one of Japan's top vibraphonists (born 1933). I also found two references to his being a tenor saxophonist (one recording where he doubled up, one where he played only tenor).

More info below ( maybe too much!) ,but it seems that the same recording is on both SACD - Hybird and "Gold" disc:

Unprecented in 45 years of professional career first time ever in the history of the world jazz scene, coupling Milt Jackson and Ichiro Masuda, two vibraphone giants representing U.S. and Japan each comes reality in this jazz collaboration album.

Musicians:

Milt Jackson, vibes

Ichiro Masuda, vibes

Kotaro Tsukahara, piano

Katsunori Asami, bass

Setsuo Sato, drums

JVC-30351LG.jpg

index001.jpg

M & m

Milt Jackson Plays With Ichiro Masuda Quartet

GMLXR-30351

$33.00 (Shipping is FREE)

Mr. Milt Jackson, the foremost vibraharpist in the world, has never played and recorded with any other vibraharpist during his long, half-century career. This "M & M" session was the oly exception. In 1990, he joined the Ichiro Masuda Quartet for his recording in Tokyo.

Mr. Jackson has always been a big idol and mentor for Masuda who began playing vibraphone in 1954, and later was frequently elected the Japanese winner of the Swing Journal annual readers poll in the vibraphone category.

While Masuda was performing the duet with Mr. Jackson, he was so thankful for his friendship with the great vibraphonist who had helped Masuda's long-time dream come true!

Thanks for the info Marcello. It looks like both of the vibists are playing big heads. Do you know if Milt had his signature series back then, or do you think he was using Albrights?

Milt is playing a Deagan Aurora. Can you tell what Masuda is playing?

I'd love to hear this recording. I'll have to find myself a copy one of these days.