Coltrane/Davis playing So What Live in Paris

Peter Johnson

I Just heard this terrific side on WKCR's all-day Coltrane broadcast.  I've never heard it before, and I wonder if y'all know the details and, better yet, whether it's available to purchase!    :excited:

Thanks in advance.

I have this on (one of the two cds issued from this concert) a disc issued by Trema from France. I believe it has been reissued by Laserlight in some markets. Both of these outfits issued the 2 discs of the Davis group with Stitt (from the following year). The French concerts are better than the Nordic gigs from the same tour.

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=600321

That concert has been released in several forms.

Olympia60e.jpgOlympia60a.jpgOlympia60b.jpg

One of the essential documents, afaic. All the recordings from that tour are pretty damn heavy, but Paris is, for my money, the heaviest of them all. Trane was totally uncensored that night, and there's very little like in in the annals of recorded music.

Do I exaggerate? Perhaps, but I think not.

You do not exaggerate, Jim, and I think I can say that based solely upon Trane's solo on So What, which had me (this is also no exaggeration) out of my chair, staring wide-eyed at the real audio playback window, flapping my hands around wildly and just _moving_. Damn, that solo came from a place that I can only ever hope to visit. I must get this recording.

Thank you all for the information.

You do not exaggerate, Jim, and I think I can say that based solely upon Trane's solo on So What, which had me (this is also no exaggeration) out of my chair, staring wide-eyed at the real audio playback window, flapping my hands around wildly and just _moving_.  Damn, that solo came from a place that I can only ever hope to visit.  I must get this recording.

Thank you all for the information.

All of the recordings from this quintet's spring 1960 tour are worth hearing. Some of Trane's greatest playing. There's one in particular on "Bye Bye Blackbird", from Paris, that stands out in my memory.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I assume because any contracts that *do* make European radio recordings legit over there have stipulations that these issues are NOT for distribution in the U.S. (because of the existing contract with Columbia). And the bootlegs, well - they're bootlegs.

Of course, what we could hope for is what Universal/Verve/Impulse did with the Live Love Supreme recorded at Antibes - a legit issue on the US contract label. But Sony seems intent on dragging these things out since they haven't taken advantage of appropriate projects - like the Miles in Tokyo stuff - there's additional concerts they could have included, but they didn't.

Mike

Touring acts often had separate agreements with European radio stations for broadcasts (and sometimes subsequent issues). I believe the Dragon issues are legit, the Trema....not sure, and many others are definitely bootlegs.

Mike

The Olympia recordings came out originally on the Trema-Europe 1 label. The concerts were produced by the Europe 1 radio station which had a quite huge jazz audience at the time.

As far as I know, the Europe 1 releases are as legit as the Dragon ones.

You see, there was no option to choose "USA" as my country, so the CD will be shipped to

Seattle, WA 98101 U.S.A.

England

:P

We'll see!

Thanks for the offer, Gary!  If they pull the plug on my purchase, I'll let you know.

PJ

Keep us posted (no pun intended), 'cause if they do ship to the US I'd like to get a copy too!

--Glenn

Yes, me as well. I wonder what the total amount in US dollars would be. Please let us know...thanks...

Just ordered a copy of the 2-disc Laserlight from here:

http://www.studio52.gr/info_en.asp?infoID=00000p8q

Keeping my fingers crossed that it actually works!

Edit- They did respond, but the price was 18.5 Euro which seemed high. So I cancelled my order, and placed an order at Play.com from above.

Anyone receive theirs from Play.com yet?

Edited by DukeCity