james zitro

slide_advantage_redoux

James Zitro has an album under his own name on ESP. ESP Disk' 1052.

No information about him on the cover. His name does not even appear on the front cover which had a black and white photo of him (or so I presume!).

No liner notes. Just some recording information and the names of the players;

Musicians in the group are:

Warren Gale, trumpet, Allan Praskin, alto, Bert Wilson, tenor, Michael Cohen, piano, Bruce Gale, bass.

All from California, if I remember well. The session was recorded in New York in April 1967.

He had a pretty weak fusion record with Dave Liebman called "New Moon in Zytron," I think Zytron was his band as well.

San Fransisco/Oakland, played and studied with Smiley Winters, etc., recorded with him, Sonny Simmons, and his own great band on ESP 1052 while visiting New York for some months in 1966-7.

Who knows what he's up to these days, though.

I know James Zitro and visit him every time I'm in Santa Cruz. He still plays with Bert Wilson from time to time (who now resides in Olympia, WA). He and Bert are actually from LA. Sonny Simmons and Barbara Donald were from SF I believe. James Zitro was hired by a TV network to teach Mickey Dolens of the Monkees how to play drums when they were preparing to launch that show in 67. He plays with local musicians every Sunday out on the pier in Santa Cruz in the summer time and currently works as a drug counselor for the city. A very wonderful man, and great drummer who has shown me a trick or two on kit. I interviewed him for a radio show I was doing a few years back. Boy has he got some crazy stories of his stay in NY circa his ESP days.

Edited by Johnny E