The World's Greatest Food!

I tried something a couple of weeks ago that I think just may be the world's greatest food. The problem is, I'm willing to bet that I'm the only person here who had never tried this before. Go ahead and laugh, but at age 45, I finally broke down and tried bagels and cream cheese. Hey, how was I to know? I grew up in rural Georgia; if you didn't fry it, we didn't know it was edible! Now I can't let a day go by without my fix....someone please tell me this isn't as fattening as I think it is!

If you ever feel like changing it up a little, here are my favorite variations:

Bagel with cream cheese and smoked sturgeon

Bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon

Bagel with cream cheese and smoked turkey

Scrambled eggs on a toasted bagel

If you're really worried about the fat, you can try substituting neufchatel for the "regular" cream cheese. Personally, I'd just as soon spend the extra few minutes in the gym, but neufchatel really isn't that bad. It makes a decent cheesecake, too.

Edited by J Larsen

Guest Chaney

Isn't cream cheese THE most fattening of cheeses?

(Wasn't there a Mnytime Factoid on this? :blink: )

I WAS a bagel addict but I finally gave them up once the price hit $6 per dozen.

(Please tell me you don't eat supermarket made bagels...)

Yup, a little less than $6 a baker's dozen here in Kansas City (at a real bagel place, not the grocery store - I wouldn't touch those things - they ain't bagels, I can tell you that!!!).

My wife and I usually buy a dozen bagels, once every 7-10 days or so.

I think we buy 'regular bread' maybe 3 or 4 times per year, at most - usually when my folks come to visit, or if we need it to make 'stuffing', or for strange reasons like that.

Bagels rule!!!

If you're really in to bagels, they are easy to make. Just disregard any recipe that doesn't call for boiling the dough prior to baking.

Cool! I'm gonna have to give that a shot. Shoot, I make my own bread; why not?

As for the bacon suggestion made above, I'm not religious or anything, but isn't that just asking for trouble?? ;)

Edited by Jazzmoose

I got the taste for bagels on my last visit to the US. I'm not sure that the local product is quite the same as I soon tired of them. But you can't beat a good bacon sandwich-British bacon that is not the stuff they serve up in the US.

Just curious:

Why Bagel & Cream cheese are considered "Jewish cuisine"? We don't it it in Israel. Nor Lox.

It's a New York deli thing. If you ever visit Manhattan, you really should try the sturgeon sandwhiches at Barney Greengrass on the Upper West Side (near the American Museum of Natural History). Very Jewish in a New York way, and very (VERY) tastey.

Just curious:

Why Bagel & Cream cheese are considered "Jewish cuisine"? We don't eat it in Israel. Nor Lox.

the bagel has Ashkinazi roots, not Sephardic. i cut and pasted this from another website:

The first bagel rolled into the world in 1699 when a baker wanted to pay tribute to Jan Sobieski, the King of Poland. King Jan had just saved the people of Austria from an onslaught of Turkish invaders. The King was a great horseman, and the baker decided to shape the yeast dough into an uneven circle, resembling a stirrup. The Austrian word for "stirrup" is beugel.

lots of things taste good on a bagel, not just cream cheese. PBJ, Deli meats, sliced jalipeno. tho i have to admit that i haven't eaten any bagels in almost 2 years. i do miss them. :(

It's a New York deli thing. If you ever visit Manhattan, you really should try the sturgeon sandwhiches at Barney Greengrass on the Upper West Side (near the American Museum of Natural History). Very Jewish in a New York way, and very (VERY) tastey.

Been there, done that. You're abosolutely right. It was Very very tasty!