Lloyd McNeill

felser

Lloyd McNeill was a Washington, DC based flute player who put out three incredibile albums in the early 70's, and then three more that were nearly as incredible in the late 70's-early 80's. He was also an award-winning photographer, if I remember. He wrote beautiful pieces, and I loved his stuff. I was thrilled when a 'best-of' CD came out in the late 90's and pretty much got my favorite tracks on it (especially his first recording of 'Aisha'). Does anyone know the state of his master tapes (I suspect he owns them outright) and if there is any chance of the albums being issued on CD? He did one, 'Tanner Suite', that I've never heard (I have the others on vinyl). do any of you have that? And AMG lists a '97 release by him called 'X.TEM.POR.E' that I've never heard of. Is anyone familiar with that? thx.

Yeah, Gravatt was (and supposedly still is) a mf on the drums ...

Lloyd McNeill - that this excellent flutist never got the recognition he would have deserved is, IMHO, one of the loudest crying shames in American Jazz. I remember hearing ASHA on AFN radio when it was released, and being enchanted right away. I got some of his LPs later, but regrettably not the first one. Now that would be a worthy subject for a Mosaic Select!!!

Is that compilation CD still available? I'd give something to hear that piece ASHA onec again ...

Yeah, Gravatt was (and supposedly still is) a mf on the drums ...

Lloyd McNeill - that this excellent flutist never got the recognition he would have deserved is, IMHO, one of the loudest crying shames in American Jazz. I remember hearing ASHA on AFN radio when it was released, and being enchanted right away. I got some of his LPs later, but regrettably not the first one. Now that would be a worthy subject for a Mosaic Select!!!

Is that compilation CD still available? I'd give something to hear that piece ASHA onec again ...

I got the CD from Dusty Groove many years ago on my first time to the site (that was an expensive visit!), but see no signs of it there, on Amazon, Half, or Ebay.