Mobile Fidelity Titles Going OOP

Kevin Bresnahan

The "new" Mobile Fidelity, who restarted the lable about two years ago with a batch of Jazz titles, is about to start deleting a few of those titles as their license runs out. The first couple of batches were SACD/CD hybrids. The titles going oop on November 1, 2005 are:

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul Ultradisc UHR™ SACD

Miles Davis - Steamin' Ultradisc UHR™ SACD

John Coltrane - Soultrane Ultradisc UHR™ SACD

Get 'em while you can. I know I will be.

Kevin

I think yourmusic.com has the Steamin' MFSL SACD.

Nope. yourmusic.com has the picture for the MoFi of "Steamin'" but they ship the regular K2 CD.

FWIW, I generally prefer Steve Hoffman's DCC remastering jobs as well... well, at when comparing redbook CD. However, I have yet to hear a regular CD that's sounded "better" than an SACD version of the same title. There have been several discs where there was little difference between the two, but never have I said, "That CD is better than the SACD". There's also the fact that the DCC gold CDs have been oop for many years and that there is a bit of "cult market" that has driven the prices very high.

In my opinion, get the MoFi now before it goes oop and you'll have the best currently-available version at a reasonable price. If you have an SACD player, you'll probably have the best version to date.

Kevin

The MoFi SACD are nice collectibles and Ebay prices will likely up when they are OOP.

I share Hans' view on the comparision between DCC and MoFi remastering. I will add that on my system, Steve Hoffman's CD remastering also sounds better than the MoFi hi-rez layer. The same is true for other titles reissued on Fantasy or Analogue Productions SACDs. Steve Hoffman is simply the master in bringing out the best sound out of these tapes.

The MoFi SACD are nice collectibles and Ebay prices will likely up when they are OOP.

I share Hans' view on the comparision between DCC and MoFi remastering. I will add that on my system, Steve Hoffman's CD remastering also sounds better than the MoFi hi-rez layer. The same is true for other titles reissued on Fantasy or Analogue Productions SACDs. Steve Hoffman is simply the master in bringing out the best sound out of these tapes.

I have a lot of Steve Hoffman's remasterings, and to my ears they're all superior to other digital versions.

I think yourmusic.com has the Steamin' MFSL SACD.

Nope. yourmusic.com has the picture for the MoFi of "Steamin'" but they ship the regular K2 CD.

FWIW, I generally prefer Steve Hoffman's DCC remastering jobs as well... well, at when comparing redbook CD. However, I have yet to hear a regular CD that's sounded "better" than an SACD version of the same title. There have been several discs where there was little difference between the two, but never have I said, "That CD is better than the SACD". There's also the fact that the DCC gold CDs have been oop for many years and that there is a bit of "cult market" that has driven the prices very high.

In my opinion, get the MoFi now before it goes oop and you'll have the best currently-available version at a reasonable price. If you have an SACD player, you'll probably have the best version to date.

Kevin

I just checked, and the title I was thinking about was Relaxin'. And then I ordered it. :g

Interesting that the MoFi redbook layer comes up short. Did the MoFi remastering engineer add reverb like the AP guys did? I only have the MoFi SACD of Sonny Rollins's "Plus 4". I think the SACD layer sounds very nice which is strange considering Steve Hoffman has said that the master tapes for this session are in rough shape. When I pick up these MoFi discs before they go oop, I'll be able to compare with the DCC gold CDs. I hope the SACD layer is better than the redbook. It would be a first if it's not the case. :)

To answer the off topic statement about AP's SACDs... well, we've been over this before, but I just can't agree that the AP SACDs sound inferior to Steve's DCC gold CDs. That hasn't been true in any of the ones I've compared head-to-head.

Since we hang out on Steve Hoffman's board, we've been told that AP added some reverb to their SACDs. I didn't even realize it was there until Steve pointed it out. This added bit of reverb was a strange choice by AP and I suppose some may find it detracts from their enjoyment, but on the whole, these AP SACDs sound phenomenal to my ears. You can say you prefer the same material without that reverb but to imply that this reverb makes it sonically inferior doesn't hold up... at least in my system. I think these SACDs are the definitve versions, particularly Cannonball Adderley's "You Know What I Mean" as well as the two Bill Evans Village Vanguard dates. However, I will admit that I have not listened to the redbook layer on any of these discs. Why would I? I have a great SACD player. :D

On top of that, there's the fact that Steve's board seems to have created a huge demand for these opp DCC gold CDs. They are fetching big bucks. I think most people here would be better off finding the "next best" version or else they'll be facing the insanity on eBay like the rest of us loonies. :D

Also Claude, I thought you had said that you got rid of your SACD player? Is that true? If not, I'm glad to hear that you can still listen to the high resolution layer of your SACDs. I have given up on trying to convert anyone over to this format these days, especially since Sony seems to have killed it off, but I do appreciate having some people on the Internet forums that can talk about these discs.

Kevin

I have a lot of Steve Hoffman's remasterings, and to my ears they're all superior to other digital versions.

"all superior to other digital versions"? I didn't know you had an SACD player? SACD is a digital version. If you don't have an SACD player, you really aren't able to say that every DCC gold is better than every digital version, particularly if you've never heard all those other versions.

Sure, Steve's gold CDs are way up there in the audio ranking. I have a lot of them. I also have some incredible sounding XRCDs, JRVGs, AP gold CDs, DVD-Audio discs and SACDs. Steve doesn't have the exclusive ability to make a nice-sounding audio playback. And that's not even getting into the analog vs. digital stuff! :D

BTW, Steve did an incredible job on the Time Sonny Clark SACD. I wish AF would have kept up with the SACD hybrids. Steve remastering talent combined with DSD playback make for some awesome sounding playback.

Speaking of comparing multiple digital versions of a session, I am planning to have fun with John Coltrane's "Blue Train" one of these weekends. Maybe when my buddy Rob comes up for a visit. I just picked up the Mobile Fidelity gold CD. Now, I have 6 digital versions of this title! Should make for a fun shoot out. Wait... maybe I should order the HDAD first? :)

Kevin

"all superior to other digital versions"? I didn't know you had an SACD player? SACD is a digital version. If you don't have an SACD player, you really aren't able to say that every DCC gold is better than every digital version, particularly if you've never heard all those other versions.

Sure, Steve's gold CDs are way up there in the audio ranking. I have a lot of them. I also have some incredible sounding XRCDs, JRVGs, AP gold CDs, DVD-Audio discs and SACDs. Steve doesn't have the exclusive ability to make a nice-sounding audio playback. And that's not even getting into the analog vs. digital stuff! :D

BTW, Steve did an incredible job on the Time Sonny Clark SACD. I wish AF would have kept up with the SACD hybrids. Steve remastering talent combined with DSD playback make for some awesome sounding playback.

Speaking of comparing multiple digital versions of a session, I am planning to have fun with John Coltrane's "Blue Train" one of these weekends. Maybe when my buddy Rob comes up for a visit. I just picked up the Mobile Fidelity gold CD. Now, I have 6 digital versions of this title! Should make for a fun shoot out. Wait... maybe I should order the HDAD first? :)

Kevin

I never said I had an SACD player, and I've made it clear time and again that I've only compared CD layers. I thought there was no need to explain this every time I posted something like this, but obviously I was wrong, judging by your rather acid remarks.

Kevin

I never said I had an SACD player, and I've made it clear time and again that I've only compared CD layers. I thought there was no need to explain this every time I posted something like this, but obviously I was wrong, judging by your rather acid remarks.

P.S. I forgot to add "in my opinion", though I did add "to my ears" in the post you quoted, but apparently that doesn't count...

Edited by J.A.W.

Also Claude, I thought you had said that you got rid of your SACD player? Is that true? If not, I'm glad to hear that you can still listen to the high resolution layer of your SACDs.

Kevin,

You must be thinking of someone else, as I never said or even though about doing that. I have a very good SACD/CD player (Sony XA777), and I enjoy my 170 SACDs a lot.

But I am disappointed by some SACDs with Fantasy material, especially those remastered by Fantasy themselves. Despite the hi-rez advantage, they sound inferior to the DCC remasters made 10 years ago. While the AP SACDs sound excellent, when there is a DCC counterpart I prefer that one.

This is not to bash SACD, but to say that the remastering is more important than the difference between redbook and hi-rez.

Edited by Claude

Kevin or Claude -- if one is interested in taking the SACD plunge, is the Pioneer Elite DV-45A still considered a solid 'good bang for the buck' unit, or is there a better way to go?

I loved my Pioneer DV-45A player. I got two years of great music out of it. I only traded it in because I got a great deal on a Denon DV-2900 player that has fantastic video to go with the fantastic audio. If I were "stuck" with that old Pioneer unit, particualrly if I wasn't using it for video, I imgine I would still be very happy.

Kevin

Also Claude, I thought you had said that you got rid of your SACD player? Is that true? If not, I'm glad to hear that you can still listen to the high resolution layer of your SACDs.

Kevin,

You must be thinking of someone else, as I never said or even though about doing that. I have a very good SACD/CD player (Sony XA777), and I enjoy my 170 SACDs a lot.

That's great to hear, Claude. I was worried that you had gotten rid of your SACD player. I am glad that you can still give me reommendations for SACDs (if they ever come out with any more :)).

But I am disappointed by some SACDs with Fantasy material, especially those remastered by Fantasy themselves. Despite the hi-rez advantage, they sound inferior to the DCC remasters made 10 years ago. While the AP SACDs sound excellent, when there is a DCC counterpart I prefer that one.

This is not to bash SACD, but to say that the remastering is more important than the difference between redbook and hi-rez.

Hear hear! I too find the Fantasy SACDs to be little better than their redbook counterpart, particualrly where there's a DCC version. They do sound a lot better than the standard OJC CD though.

We'll have to disagree on the AP SACDs. I love the way these titles sound.

Kevin

Clint, I have that Relaxin' SACD from yourmusic.com

It's very nice. It's an OJC SACD, NOT a Mobile Fidelity SACD. I don't care. On my player cd playback never sounded better, SACD sounds great, but I'm not going to go seeking out multiple versions of things on SACD. Or on cd much any longer. . . . That Relaxin OJC SACD has incredible sound.

Edited by jazzbo

Hans, I was very careful when I wrote what I did to avoid "acid". Please don't take it that way. If you can, picture me as smiling when I write these words rather than pounding out stuff all mad! :D

I understand you have an affinity for the DCC gold CDs... and maybe redbook CD in general. I do not want you to think I am upset with your statement. I have many of these myself.

I also have no problem with your comment about the redbook layer on these MoFi SACD discs being inferior to their DCC gold counterpart. What I just wanted to point out was that SACD is another digital medium, favored by many music fans, that may be the "superior" "digital version". I prefer many SACDs over all other versions. I think many organissimo forum members would agree. I would hate to see them forego a chance to hear some awesome audio.

Also, you have to admit that these MoFi SACD hybrids are currently much easier to buy now than any DCC gold CD, right? These are a less expensive alternative to hearing a very nice sounding version of these classic sessions.

Kevin

Hans, I was very careful when I wrote what I did to avoid "acid". Please don't take it that way. If you can, picture me as smiling when I write these words rather than pounding out stuff all mad! :D

I understand you have an affinity for the DCC gold CDs... and maybe redbook CD in general. I do not want you to think I am upset with your statement. I have many of these myself.

I also have no problem with your comment about the redbook layer on these MoFi SACD discs being inferior to their DCC gold counterpart. What I just wanted to point out was that SACD is another digital medium, favored by many music fans, that may be the "superior" "digital version". I prefer many SACDs over all other versions. I think many organissimo forum members would agree. I would hate to see them forego a chance to hear some awesome audio.

Also, you have to admit that these MoFi SACD hybrids are currently much easier to buy now than any DCC gold CD, right? These are a less expensive alternative to hearing a very nice sounding version of these classic sessions.

Kevin

OK Kevin, no problem.

I'm having problems with many high-resolution remasters, they - especially the 24-bit remasters, but also some DSD remasters and 20-bit K2s, including XRCDs - often sound loud, harsh and bright to my ears. Like Claude has said many times, it's all in the remastering, no matter the format, and in my opinion the use of compression/maximization and weird EQ choices by many remastering engineers these days are doing a lot of harm.

I agree that the MFSL hybrids are a good alternate to the ridiculously expensive DCC and older MFSLs (not all older MFSLs are that good, though), but sometimes older redbook CDs are also a good alternate - at least to my ears and as long as they are flat transfers (I know those older flat transfers are a bit of a hype on Steve Hoffman's forum, but I have several of those and - again, to my ears and on my system - many do indeed sound better, i.e. warmer/more natural/more musical than MFSL or high-resolution versions).

Edited to correct a few errors.

Edited by J.A.W.

I saw Clinton's first post and immediately placed it in the queue.  I've picked up a handful of these (Pepper, Guaraldi, etc) but this is one I'd like to a/b up against the 'Relaxin' XRCD.    Now to drop hints that a reasonably priced SACD player would make a swell B'day gift.

It's funny you mention the XRCD... I just checked my collection and I have the Miles Fantasy box with all the sessions, the Fantasy SACD of "Relaxin'", the AP SACD of "Cookin'" and the DCC CDs of "Workin'" and "Steamin'" and "Miles - The New Miles Davis Quintet". I don't have any of these on XRCD, although my buddy Rob says they sound very nice. SHould I consider... gaaaah, I'm going crazy!! :D

Kevin

Clint, I have that Relaxin' SACD from yourmusic.com

It's very nice.  It's an OJC SACD, NOT a Mobile Fidelity SACD.  I don't care.  On my player cd playback never sounded better, SACD sounds great, but I'm not going to go seeking out multiple versions of things on SACD.  Or on cd much any longer. . . . That Relaxin OJC SACD has incredible sound.

Works for me! :tup I am currently between versions of this album, so it will be good to have it back.