Extrapolation

skeith

Probably this has been said before, but here I go.

I have been listening to this one for 30 years and it always, every time, sounds fresh.

All Brits as far as I know and playing like monster musicians:McLaughlin, Tony Oxley, and John Surman stand out for me, but that bass player is great too.

The compositions are great-McLaughlin was such an underrated composer- and while it is most definitely not fusion you wouldn't mistake it for a Wes Montgomery album either. Given that this was recorded in 1969 or 70 - the originality of the compositions is striking. I'm not sure where they came up with this music but it is exceptional and brilliant.

I haven't said it very well here - and somebody else could in words to more justice to this album, but I have to say it is just marvelous.

Have either of you listened to WHERE FORTUNE SMILES? This is a very different session from the two previously mentioned. This is the most intense McLaughlin session I have heard. The improvisation is unrelenting and the electricity just continues to build. Surman and McLaughlin seem tireless throughout. Karl Berger plays vibe, Dave Holland bass, and STU MARTIN on drums. The picture on the inside of STU is worth the price of the disc alone.

I can't say that I'd recommend this disc to everyone, but I do listen to it every once in a while. The music is incredibly dense and fast.

Impossible,

I do have and like very much Where Fortune Smiles, but I disagree that it is very different from Extrapolation- both albums feature John Surman and several of the ballads from Where Fortune Smiles would have fit nicely on Extrapolation. Where I do agree with you is that a couple of the tunes on WFS are more "out" than anything anything on Ex - but I think the intensity level on Ex gets just as high.

Clunky,

I love that track too, funny the booklet calls it "Binky's Beam" and the tray insert calls is "Binky's Dream", one of several discrepancies with the booklet and tray.

My problem is I love every track on the whole CD.

EXTRAPOLATION is just wonderful, totally agree with the assessment that it's a timeless classic. It's over before you even know it, listening is so much fun and yet not without its challenges. Very hard to do that. It has the same sort of impact on me (albeit with a different musical vibe) as Eric Dolphy's OUT TO LUNCH - the musicians make it sound so perfect and easy, yet albums as coherent, fresh, challenging, and consistently great as these only come around once in a blue moon. About due for a deluxe reissue, wouldn't you say? Would make a very nice hybrid SACD.

Yeah DRJ,

I agree that Extrapolation is due for a remastering given that the only edition I know of has been available for 10 years, because I would like it to sound even better. On the other hand I have heard much worse sounding Cds from that time. I think the recording engineer did a good job on this one.

I agree, it's quite good in the version I have (straight Polydor reissue CD from 1991). Not complaining, glad to have it! But the music is so good and the recording would lend itself to the newer format, I think.

I also think the idea of there potentially being vault material that could be included is an interesting one with records as perfect as this one...on one hand, it would be great to hear, but on the other it's almost better not to hear it unless it's equally wonderful. To sustain a comparison, I understand the main reason BN has never released any of the outtakes from OUT TO LUNCH is that they are (at least per Cuscuna) pretty awful. I wouldn't be surprised - again, the original album makes it all sound so easy but what they do on that album defies all laws of science and reason. On any other day, it might never have gelled. And so it is with EXTRAPOLATION.

At very least, if there is other music from the EXTRAPOLATION sessions to get out, I am hoping they would never alter the sequence of the original tracks.

Since there are some fellow Mclaughlin fans here, I thought I'd ask again if anyone knows where to find a copy of the Mediterrainian Concerto. I heard a little of this on the radio one night and loved it, but haven't been able to track it down. Thanks.

I only got the CD recently although I've had the vinyl forever. It really is a great album and a classic of it's time.

If you like "Arjen's Bag" (which I do), it's worth picking up the "Joe Farrell Quartet" album on CTI. There's another version of it, but called "Follow Your Heart". This album features Chick Corea, Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland and John McLaughlin, so it's quality stuff.

c31498o1iar.jpg

One of the 'bridge' records that tipped me into jazz. I bought it in a sale in a military store in Germany c.1974 on the back of the Mahavishnu Orchestra who were huge on the rock scene at the time. Didn't get it at first but over a couple of years it really ate its way into my consciousness.

Little did I know that the saxophonist, who sounded very strange to my rock trained ears, would go on to become one of my favourite musicians.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Have either of you listened to WHERE FORTUNE SMILES? This is a very different session from the two previously mentioned. This is the most intense McLaughlin session I have heard. The improvisation is unrelenting and the electricity just continues to build. Surman and McLaughlin seem tireless throughout. Karl Berger plays vibe, Dave Holland bass, and STU MARTIN on drums. The picture on the inside of STU is worth the price of the disc alone.

I can't say that I'd recommend this disc to everyone, but I do listen to it every once in a while. The music is incredibly dense and fast.

Where Fortune Smiles is available on the 2 cd set The Dawn Sessions.

I have made it known in the past that this is one of my top ten favorites of all time.

The melodies still sound fresh and relevant [as opposed to some of the Mahavishnu stuff] and the soloing is inspired.

My introduction to Tony Oxley and John Surman as well!