what ever became of --

frank m

What did become of Johnny Bothwell. also sax with Boyd Raeburn's band who sounded a bit like Hodges?

For that matter, what became of Boyd Raeburn, who had one of the first boppish bands in the forties?

I couldn't sleep last night and these are the things I worried about. :blink:

Johnny Bothwell left music in 1949. He died in 1995.

Boyd Raeburn made three very commercial LP's for Columbia in the 1950's. He died in 1966.

Can't add much to what Stereojack said--I just pulled the Bothwell Hep CD off the shelves and at the end of the liners Robertson simply says, "He finally left the music scene sometime in the early Fifties, and reputedly died in Boston."

I like 'em both a lot. Wish Savoy would do a more comprehensive re-issue (I have the old 2-LP set of JEWELLS, much more thorough than the CD release). If you're a Raeburn fan, do yourself a favor and pick up all of the Heps. Well worth it--the Bothwell, too.

Can't add much to what Stereojack said--I just pulled the Bothwell Hep CD off the shelves and at the end of the liners Robertson simply says, "He finally left the music scene sometime in the early Fifties, and reputedly died in Boston."

I like 'em both a lot.  Wish Savoy would do a more comprehensive re-issue (I have the old 2-LP set of JEWELLS, much more thorough than the CD release).  If you're a Raeburn fan, do yourself a favor and pick up all of the Heps.  Well worth it--the Bothwell, too.

Hi

The "Jewells" CD (SV-0273) has exactly the same music, 26 tracks, as the double LP (SJL 2250), no? Maybe you're comparing "Jewells" to "Boyd Meets Stravinsky" (LP-Savoy MG12040/CD-SV 0185), only 12 tracks, true, but including "Interlude" (first-ever big band recording of A Night In Tunisia), "Summertime" and "March of the Boyds", with Dizzy and Benny Harris; Trummy Young; Bothwell, Hal McKusick, Al Cohn and Serge Chaloff; Oscar Pettiford and Shelly Manne.

And I agree re Savoy, who can we stalk to get a set like the recent Red Norvo and Billy Eckstine?

F

I like 'em both a lot.  Wish Savoy would do a more comprehensive re-issue (I have the old 2-LP set of JEWELLS, much more thorough than the CD release).  If you're a Raeburn fan, do yourself a favor and pick up all of the Heps.  Well worth it--the Bothwell, too.

Hi

The "Jewells" CD (SV-0273) has exactly the same music, 26 tracks, as the double LP (SJL 2250), no? Maybe you're comparing "Jewells" to "Boyd Meets Stravinsky" (LP-Savoy MG12040/CD-SV 0185), only 12 tracks, true, but including "Interlude" (first-ever big band recording of A Night In Tunisia), "Summertime" and "March of the Boyds", with Dizzy and Benny Harris; Trummy Young; Bothwell, Hal McKusick, Al Cohn and Serge Chaloff; Oscar Pettiford and Shelly Manne.

And I agree re Savoy, who can we stalk to get a set like the recent Red Norvo and Billy Eckstine?

F

I was comparing it to the more recent Savoy CD. Didn't even realize that the older one was still available... thanks for the tip.

• 2 years later...

I just pulled the Bothwell Hep CD off the shelves and at the end of the liners Robertson simply says, "He finally left the music scene sometime in the early Fifties, and reputedly died in Boston."

To reputedly die--I like that. It's like old soldiers just fading away. I hope that rather than dying one day, I reputedly die.