Nobel Peace Prize Nominee

frontlogo2.gif

Published on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 by Agence France Presse

US Judge Sets December Date to

Execute Nobel Peace Prize Nominee

1025-02.jpg

This undated photo provided by the family of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams, shows Williams

in the visiting area of San Quentin State Prison in California. A judge signed a death

warrant Monday, Oct. 23. 2005, and set December 13, 2005, as the date Williams will

be executed, for four murders he committed in 1979. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Williams Family)

A US judge signed a death warrant for a former street gangster and convicted killer who went on to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in tackling youth violence.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William Pounders set a December 13 date for the execution of Stanley "Tookie" Williams, noting that his appeal against his death sentence had been rejected by the US Supreme Court on October 11.

"I am signing the warrant of execution," the judge said as several dozen opponents of the death penalty looked on in the crowded courtroom.

Williams, who co-founded Los Angeles' deadly Crips gang, was convicted in 1981 for the murders of four people and has been incarcerated in a small cell on the death row of San Francisco's San Quentin prison since then.

But since receiving his death sentence, Williams, 51, has renounced his gang past, penned children's books, been the subject of a television movie starring Jamie Foxx and been nominated for the world's top peace prize.

"The Stanley Williams case is about a man who has done what I think is the most important thing a man can do in this country, and that is reach out to the youth of this country with books, with tapes ...," Williams lawyer, Peter Fleming, said outside the courtroom.

Williams' legal team will appeal to movie star California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on November 8 for clemency and to reduce the prisoner's sentence from death to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The Supreme Court's decision earlier this month cleared the way for Williams' execution by lethal injection -- unless Schwarzenegger intervenes. But no condemned murderer has been granted clemency in California since 1967.

Outside the courthouse, demonstrators held up signs proclaiming "Executions Teach Vengeance and Violence", "Abolish the Death Penalty" and "Stop the Execution of Stanley Tookie Williams -- Keeping Him Alive Saves Lives."

A number of Williams' supporters chanted, "Let Tookie live!"

Tookie's Corner
Williams was 16 when he and a high school friend -- Raymond Washington, who was later killed -- began the Crips street gang in South Los Angeles in 1971.

Known as "Big Took" to fellow Crips, Williams helped build the gang into a nationwide criminal enterprise that continues to spawn street violence more than 30 years later.

He was convicted and sentenced to death for committing four 1979 murders, but he has consistently maintained his innocence.

The first victim in the killings, which took place during two separate robberies two weeks apart, was a 23-year-old convenience store worker.

A witnessed who received immunity from prosecution testified at trial that he, Williams and two other men took 120 dollars from the store's cash register before Williams shot the young man execution-style and mocked the gurgling sounds the victim made as he lay dying.

Williams was also found guilty of the shotgun murders of a family of three people in a Los Angeles motel.

Williams, who presented an alibi for his whereabouts at the time of the killings, argued in his appeal that Los Angeles County prosecutors had engaged in racial discrimination by seeking to keep black people off his trial jury.

you know, it's swell that after he realised he would be executed(Eventually) that he decided to write children's books, and say violence was bad...but...he killed 4 people(I know, like every famous convicted murderer, he is innocent) even from the discription from the liberal site above makes it sound pretty horrible...

The first victim in the killings, which took place during two separate robberies two weeks apart, was a 23-year-old convenience store worker.

A witnessed who received immunity from prosecution testified at trial that he, Williams and two other men took 120 dollars from the store's cash register before Williams shot the young man execution-style and mocked the gurgling sounds the victim made as he lay dying.

Williams was also found guilty of the shotgun murders of a family of three people in a Los Angeles motel.

Wonder how the victims family are doing these days. Funny how no one cares about them. Their tax dollars keep him alive, feed him, provide medical care...did the profits from the children's books go to his victims??? Or for his legal bills? Williams should be a man, admit his guilt, and make peace with his maker.

Wonder how the victims family are doing these days. Funny how no one cares about them. Their tax dollars keep him alive, feed him, provide medical care...did the profits from the children's books go to his victims??? Or for his legal bills? Williams should be a man, admit his guilt, and make peace with his maker.

Unless of course the man who turned States evidence and is currectly a free man lied. If that is the case, then he must make peace with his maker by asking him why the state would take his life based on the lies of another man.

This is why I am against the death penalty. Innocent people have and do get executed...often. At least 23 people since 1900 have been executed and later found innocent in the United States - this according to Michael Radelet and Hugo Adam Bedau's book Inspite of Innocence. And according to the Equal Justice Project, 16 more innocent people have been executed in the United States.

And this is just those that can be proved. Whatever the actual number, innocent people are being put to death on a somewhat regular basis. Why don't the "Culture of Life" Christian Republicans say anything about this? I believe it's because they're being manipulated and they don't even know it. This isn't a crowd known for "independant thinking" in the first place, hence easily manipulated..

That is the problem. There are too many people in the US who simply adhere to the old "an eye for an eye" shtick and find it to be impossible that a person who has committed a crime (no matter how heinous) can actually see the error of his ways and do some good from that point onwards.

And, no, Tookie is certainly NOT innocent. He'd be the first one to admit that. But if you look at his case, the development afterwards etc., society actually owes him for all the work he has done. He certainly doesn't expect to be pronounced a saint, but I'm sure he has done more than enough to be allowed to live.

And please spare me the "what about the vitims" speech. Just today, in my country, two young men were convicted of having killed their teacher because she gave one of them, a totally obnoxious pain in the neck who never showed up for class, a bad mark. They beat her, stabbed her countless times and doubtlessly had a good time doing it.

One of the murderers got 8 years in prison, the other one will walk in 18 months (if I remember correctly off the top of my head). I'm a teacher myself and am outraged at the crime, but I also believe that perhaps, those two can somehow be reintegrated into our society and live some sort of useful life.

I don't believe in revenge.

A legal system based on revenge sucks.

Even if he is guilty, which seems quite plausible, is the need for vengeance absolute? Should it be?

Forgiveness is not always easy, and frankly, I don't think that it always should be, especially under circumstances involving the willful taking of a life. But if one is totally unable to forgive, no matter what the circumstances, then I can't help but wonder if one ends up losing in humanity whatever one gains from the satisfaction of extracting revenge. Closure, some say, but is that always the case, or is "closure" one of thos devil words that one can sometimes use to nobly mask one's less noble instincts?

I'd be a liar if I claimed that my "philosophical" objection to the death penalty was equal in all cases (it becomes less equal the older and more cynical I get, actually), but in a case such as this, I really have to wonder what purpose, other than a very basic sense of "revenge", is served by execution. Tit-for-tat may be the easiest avenue to closure - and I'll not for one second even pretend that closure is not of critical importantance - but it damn sure ain't ain't the only one.

Seems to me that there's a time to hold on, and a time to let go. Make the wrong choice and you become a prisoner, literally or figuratively.

And, no, Tookie is certainly NOT innocent. He'd be the first one to admit that. But if you look at his case, the development afterwards etc., society actually owes him for all the work he has done. He certainly doesn't expect to be pronounced a saint, but I'm sure he has done more than enough to be allowed to live.

This is about how I feel. Except, I don't think society owes him anything, considering the nature of the crimes he commited.

Williams was a murderous piece if shit thug back in the day, but he has no doubt done some good since.

For that, society can and should give him the opportunity to continue his positive work and live out his life behind bars.

Edited by catesta

This is about how I feel. Except, I don't think society owes him anything, considering the nature of the crimes he commited.

Williams was a murderous piece if shit thug back in the day, but he has no doubt done some good since.

For that, society can and should give him the opportunity to continue his positive work and live out his life behind bars.

:tup

uh, sorry. maybe this poor bastard who died a horrible death would have done ten times the good work williams has. two sides to the coin.

He might also have taken up serial killing or child abuse--one speculation is as good as the next.

I agree with Chris, the most reasonable solution would have been to give Williams life in prison, a place from which he could continue to contribute his positive efforts.

I guess it all comes down to what you consider to be the point of the justice system.  Is it there to punish or to rehabilitate?  I fall on the side of rehabilitate in most cases, but four murders?  Sorry, that's a bit much to take.

What's your take on the death penalty in general Mark?

In this special case I disagree in one aspect. Society does owe him. If you study closely what the man has done, he probably prevented an uncountable number of murders. I see this completely separated from his earlier crimes. The guy was a gang member and a notorious gang leader in his youth. To my eyes, he's completely reformed and society should honour this. But this being American (and especially Californian) society, it probably won't (no matter how many people are fighting the death penalty).

What's your take on the death penalty in general Mark?

In general, I'm against it. In theory, there are times when I could support it, but the cases would be few and far between. In reality though, the system is just too flawed to justify such a punishment that allows for no correction of mistakes whatsoever.

I think the death penalty should be enforced quickly, not many years after the fact. Quick justice, quick retribution, while the grief and pain are still fresh in everyone's minds, is the only way to make the death penalty a just, effective deterrent.

Does this man have the same thoughts as the one who committed the crimes? At this point we've given him time to reflect, time to regret, time to understand the terrible consequences of his actions. He's shown a different direction as a human being. Are we executing the same person?

I sure wouldn't want to be an executioner. What if it's wrong?

In this special case I disagree in one aspect. Society does owe him. If you study closely what the man has done, he probably prevented an uncountable number of murders. I see this completely separated from his earlier crimes. The guy was a gang member and a notorious gang leader in his youth. To my eyes, he's completely reformed and society should honour this. But this being American (and especially Californian) society, it probably won't (no matter how many people are fighting the death penalty).

I still have to disagree on that point.

If anything he owes society for the four lives he took.

So maybe we can consider the murders he may have prevented as a partial payment for that. In my opinion he still owes and I would like to see him be able to live and continue his work.