Gerald Wilson in Seattle

Peter Johnson

Borrowing Lwayne's phrase from another thread on Gerald Wilson, I had the rare privilege to spend an enchanting hour and a half last night listening to Gerald Wilson direct the Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra. What a magical evening. I can only hope I'm half as energetic at 67 as Mr. Wilson is at 87!

Jazzkrow joined my wife and me at the Nordstrom Recital hall last night to hear Gerald Wilson put the SRJO through it's paces. MAN what a show. Jeff and I turned to each other at the end of Mr. Wilson's set and he said, "my face hurts and I just realized it's because I've been grinning for the last hour and a half!" Too true, too true. The group played a number of old favorites, including an unbelieveable rendering of "Viva Tirado" and a great run through a newer composition called "Sax Chase" which allowed all five saxists to stretch out in solo runs. The band took Milestones at a dangerous tempo, and completely held it together. A special treat was Hadley Caliman sitting in the first chair saxophone seat. It's always great to hear him, either in a large- or small-group context, and many of you probably know the two of them go way back in the west coast jazz world. It was pure love between those two, and I hope someone took a photograph of Gerald and Hadley doing a three-foot proximity staredown when Hadley was standing for his solos and Gerald was egging him on.

Mr. Wilson was all over the place--directing, dancing, clearly seemed to be having a great time. The audience was all over the show as well--yelling, cheering, standing up. That was one concert I'm not going to forget for a long time.

Much love for Gerald Wilson.

:wub:

(Just got back from Seattle.....)

What Peter said times 2.....

And the acoustics in the Benaroya Recital Hall :excited:

The best venue for acoustics-like each instrument had their own mike system. Wow!

Hope Gerald gets a commission to do more work for the Monterey Jazz Festival.

He did themes for the 20th and 40th Anniversary Years.

Just 2 more years till the 50th...