BFT-31 Discussion Disc 1

tjobbe

Yikes... I was going to relisten to the BFT this weekend because I have been able to identify so few of the various selections. I wanted to check some albums to get a better showing but I understand the answers are being posted now. I have no further time to do this now, so here goes...

1- a West Coast aggregation I have been familiar with for a long time. First inkling was that Shorty Rogers was involved but I found out it was not the case and it was the french horn player that took me in the right direction.

A very good track in not very good sound. This was included in an anthology that I discovered years ago on vinyl from a very worthwile Spanish reissue label.

2- pretty exciting players all around from. I would think these are European players but I have not been able to guess who they were.

3- a favorite side that I heard (and still cherish) on an anthology CD that accompanies a book about that piano player, my favorite Swedish pianist with a very distinctive style . He was a very creative player and this remains one of the best side I have heard from him.

4- a very together unit but then again I have failed to recognize any of the participants

5- the baritone player was not Mulligan or Chaloff. Not sure it's Lars Gullin either...

Pretty interesting side that I'll want to check further,

6- another European vocalist I would say. Not really impressed with her upon first hearing but this was another one that grew on me.

7- good mix of trombone and slap bass for a short and fun contribution. Not even trying to guess who the players are...

8- liked that one after several repeats and found myself grooving to the guitarist. No idea who he is but I will look for more of his contributions!

9- Satin Doll overplayed with echo effect. I can't stand those overdone interpretations of classics. As far as I am concerned, this is the least interesting side of the BFT

10- very nice but another one that leaves me in the dark. One of the clarinetists has heard Buddy de Franco. Very good musicians from a very-together European-sounding big band

11- thought the trumpet player was very much inspired by Clark Terry this Duke-inspired interpretation. Liked the evocative aspect of the composition.

12- enjoyed that guitar side but that's one that I don't think I will return to

13- liked the piano player but he seems to be a bit short on individuality, nice backing

14- Brief but very textured. Guesses again seem to have gone the wrong way...

15- bandoneon, is that the new craze! The musicians seem to have more fun than this listener. Richard Galliano does more interesting things with it

16- the tune is from a film by the late director Jacques Becker, a jazz fan is there ever was one. I am pretty sure he would have liked this version. Thought Ran Blake had something to do with this side but a search turned blank. I'll wait for the answer! Excellent and very intriguing pick!

17- an easy one for a change. Lockjaw and the Clarke-Boland band from one of the band's best album. Classic Lockjaw getting right to the heart of the matter! And that sax section was a marvel!

18- another one that had me intrigued and searching through a number of albums. All for nothing. Still at loss on who's going through that familiar Charlie Parker tune. I'll be looking for the details...

19- I have enjoyed that French-Belgian collaboration for a long time. This was reissued a few years ago in an excellent reissues series. The guitar player was a master who remains much too neglected! So was the pianist I was lucky to hear on a number of occasions when getting a jazz education!

20- Another track that lacked individuality. Very professional playing and I can hear the influences but find the whole thing a bit empty. Could not really connect enough to enjoy it.

Many thanks to Tjobbe for a very thorough compilation. I'll be going to the answers to find out who many of these musicians are!

Okay.... :( shit happens this time....

I am very sorry, but I was too late.... I had to much "um die Ohren"... :( Is there a good translation for this ?

A last word to Track 8.... We were quite sure, that we (my guitar-playing friend) knew this guy.... not Scofield, but knowing him well.... that was the clue... We saw Linka with Abercrombie some time ago .... and... Linka knows Scofield indeed.... they play together on other record(s) and Linka had some lessons (if i remember this correct ... i had to check liner notes....).

The CD was fun to listen too... but i hadn't the peace to listen and write down my notes, I'm very sorry for this time and I want to say thanks to Tjobbe for that nice compilation!!

with the best wishes

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman