WOW!

JSngry

According to the Earl Hooker biography, in 1956, Fred Below, Louis Myers and Otis Rush formed a trio and, adding Earl Hooker on guitar, a bass guitar, plus six or seven horns, which Louis Myers describes as the "biggest band" and the "best band" in Chicago at the time. Both Fred Below and Odie Payne played drums with this band (the book isn't clear as to whether they played together or not).

According to the Earl Hooker biography, in 1956, Fred Below, Louis Myers and Otis Rush formed a trio and, adding Earl Hooker on guitar, a bass guitar, plus six or seven horns, which Louis Myers describes as the "biggest band" and the "best band" in Chicago at the time. Both Fred Below and Odie Payne played drums with this band (the book isn't clear as to whether they played together or not).

I've been meaning to get ahold of that Earl Hooker bio. I can't imagine a band featuring both Earl and Otis together. I would've loved to heard those guys. Two of my favorite blues guitarists hands down. Great pics BTW, of Fred and Odie.

That book is full of fascinating information. Dick Shurman asking Earl Hooker about who he jammed with on the west coast in 1969: "Oh I had a good time ... You see, there was this one guy, he plays left-handed, with a big head of hair, played real loud." Shurman says "Jimi Hendrix?" "Oh yeah, that was his name."

Delmark has just released a new Otis Rush live recording from the 1970s by the way.

Wow, indeed. Would love to have heard that!