Elek BACSIK

birdanddizzy

Hello everybody,

I am researching the life and works of the hungarian gypsy jazz guitarist/violinist Elek BACSIK (Budapest, 1926 - Glen Ellyn, IL, 1993) .

Virtuose jazz guitarist/violinist, he played with all more important jazz musicians of 2nd Half of XX Century as Dizzy Gillespie, Quincy Jones, Warne Marsh, Oliver Nelson, Ray Brown, Grade Tate, Kenny Clarke, Pierre Michelot, Clark Terry, Lou Bennett, Michel Legrand, Stéphane Grappelli, Miles Davis, ...

I have already been in touch with many people who knew him : Daniel Humair, Art Simmons, Michel Gaudry, Michel Hausser, Nancy Holloway...

Please contact me if you think you can assist. I am searching for certain rare and unreleased recordings, photos, sheet music and other documents.

Steven Jambot

Paris, France

The Bird and Dizzy tribute Lp got a lot of play around these parts - and on radio too.

Have to do some searching around here for that one. On Flying Dutchman, I think?

Yes on Flying Dutchman in 1975. Never reissued on LP or other.

Bacsik also recorded an album in 1974 'I love you' with Oliver Nelson, Hank Jones, Bucky Pizzarelli...

His last recording is the first album of the mandolinist Butch Baldassari "What's doin'"

Love Bacsik's contribution to Serge Gainsbourg's 1963 classic 'Gainsbourg Confidentiel'.

Gainsbourg singing with Bacsik and Michel Gaudry on bass for the full album (on French Philips) :)

This album is really fantastic. Probably the best of Gainsbourg. -recorded novemeber 1963-

There is also a live recording of this trio in october 1963 at the Théâtre des Capucines...

In 1966 Bacsik also recorded with the bassist Michel Gaudry and the actress/singer Jeanne Moreau.

Steven,

Can you give any details (personnel, date, location) regarding the live recording which was released on LP on the Europa Jazz label (LP # 1047)? The only info I have, which I'm unsure about, is that it was from 1966, and George Arvanitas was on piano. The song titles are:

one note samba, on green dolphin street, summertime

Thanks

Steven,

Can you give any details (personnel, date, location) regarding the live recording which was released on LP on the Europa Jazz label (LP # 1047)? The only info I have, which I'm unsure about, is that it was from 1966, and George Arvanitas was on piano. The song titles are: one note samba, on green dolphin street, summertime

Thanks

Jim,

On Summertime it is not Bacsik, it is the Coco Briaval Trio

Coco Briaval on www.djangostation.com

One note Samba and On Green Dolphin Street :

Regarding to the archives of the INA (Radio and Television french archives) Samba de uma nota so was broadcasted in 'Jazz sur scène' the 14 august 1966 on the channel Paris Inter. The recording (of the concert?) was the 8 August 1966. About the musicians the INA only gives Georges Arvanitas on piano. I wanted to send him the recording of the concert but he died 2-3 months ago. But we could suppose Jacky Samson (b) and Charles Saudrais (dms). Nothing about the location, ?-salle Wagram.

Best

Steven

He also accompanied Jeanne Moreau on many titles.

Bonsoir Claude,

Yes, Bacsik came back in France in 1966 to record a whole album with Jeanne Moreau.

The cineast François Reichenbach was there :

Videos

In France he also played on 3 albums of Barbara, 1 album of Jacques Higelin, he did he tour with Claude Nougaro.

In United States, with Tony Williams, Teresa Brewer, Andy Williams and Elvis Presley !!!!!!

Steven

Edited by Steven

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steven,

Can you give any details (personnel, date, location) regarding the live recording which was released on LP on the Europa Jazz label (LP # 1047)? The only info I have, which I'm unsure about, is that it was from 1966, and George Arvanitas was on piano. The song titles are: one note samba, on green dolphin street, summertime

Thanks

Jim,

On Summertime it is not Bacsik, it is the Coco Briaval Trio

Coco Briaval on www.djangostation.com

One note Samba and On Green Dolphin Street :

Regarding to the archives of the INA (Radio and Television french archives) Samba de uma nota so was broadcasted in 'Jazz sur scène' the 14 august 1966 on the channel Paris Inter. The recording (of the concert?) was the 8 August 1966. About the musicians the INA only gives Georges Arvanitas on piano. I wanted to send him the recording of the concert but he died 2-3 months ago. But we could suppose Jacky Samson (b) and Charles Saudrais (dms). Nothing about the location, ?-salle Wagram.

Best

Steven

Hi Steven,

I'm a member of a small international group of collectors of recordings of Summertime (http://members.home.nl/summertime/) and that's how I came about this message of you. Now you've got me a bit confused about the Summertime-part. Does it mean that Coco Briaval played together with Arvanitas (who did a nice session with Ben Webster by the way) and maybe the rest of his trio the 8th of August 1966? At djangostation I could only find a lp of Les Briaval (1967 - Philips P 77.277 alas, not in my possession) but nothing more about this session. Still: on the web there's also info that Summertime (duration 6 min 10 sec) has been reissued on a cd: Stephane Grappelli and Elec Bacsik: Masters of Jazz, which points at the fact that it could be Bacsik, don't you think?

Could you pls inform me and if you have any of the Summertimes in your possession maybe send me a mp3?

Regards,

Hans

Hi Steven,

I'm a member of a small international group of collectors of recordings of Summertime (http://members.home.nl/summertime/) and that's how I came about this message of you. Now you've got me a bit confused about the Summertime-part. Does it mean that Coco Briaval played together with Arvanitas (who did a nice session with Ben Webster by the way) and maybe the rest of his trio the 8th of August 1966? At Djangostation I could only find a lp of Les Briaval (1967 - Philips P 77.277 alas, not in my possession) but nothing more about this session. Still: on the web there's also info that Summertime (duration 6 min 10 sec) has been reissued on a cd: Stephane Grappelli and Elec Bacsik: Masters of Jazz, which points at the fact that it could be Bacsik, don't you think?

Could you pls inform me and if you have any of the Summertimes in your possession maybe send me a mp3?

Dear Hans,

The album Stéphane Grappelli / Elek Bacsik (LP, I never saw it on CD) contains live performances (french broadcasts stolen by Italian producers!) of :

- Stéphane Grappelli on one side (4 tracks)

- 3 tracks attributed to Elek Bacsik on the other side, but on Summertime it is Coco Briaval with his two brothers René and Gilbert. Not the same concert, nor sidemen (no piano).

If you want the live recording of Summertime by Briaval I can send you a mp3 (I must do a transfer).

The link to Djangostation was only to show who Briaval was, but Summertime on the LP "Les Briaval" is a different version (studio). I do not have this one in my possession but the webmaster of Djangostation is a friend and I can ask him to send you a mp3 if you want.

Best

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steven,

Due to a small computer problem I could not answer before. Thx for all the info, but still one question: has the Grappelli/Bacsik lp Masters of Jazz the same contents as the Giganti del Jazz lp Bacsik/Grappelli (either nr. 84 of from 1984)? Anything you can send me by Briaval is very welcome, as I have not heard any music by him or his family.

Hans

• 4 months later...

I just stumbled onto a video (at the dailymotion site) I had never seen before. Serge Gainsbourg (piano), Bacsik (guitar), and ? Gaudry? (bass), playing All The Things You Are. Bacsik doesn't take a solo, but it's still nice to see this (listed as being recorded in 1964). I wonder if Steven has seen this...?

Bacsik w/Gainsbourg / Dailymotion

I just stumbled onto a video (at the dailymotion site) I had never seen before. Serge Gainsbourg (piano), Bacsik (guitar), and ? Gaudry? (bass), playing All The Things You Are. Bacsik doesn't take a solo, but it's still nice to see this (listed as being recorded in 1964). I wonder if Steven has seen this...?

Bacsik w/Gainsbourg / Dailymotion

Hi Jim,

Of course, I know this video filmed by the RTBF (Belgium) in April (or May) 1964 in the appartement of Gainsbourg's parents. If I remember well, they did video clips of seven songs of Gainsbourg and we can see Bacsik on two of them (on the others, the music is from the LP "Gainsbourg Confidentiel" of 1963, and Gainsbourg do figuration on the screen...)

• 3 years later...