***King Crimson Corner***

Guy Berger

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Islands' is still my favourite KC studio recording (closely followed by Lizard). I've enjoyed the live ones from that era too.

In some respects I owe those two albums (bought in in 1971 and 1972) for attuning my ear to jazz - my initial jazz purchases were follow ups to Tippett, Charig etc.

I saw the Wetton/Muir/Cross/Bruford KS in late '72 (my first concert !) and the Muir-less band twice in '73. Stunning concerts.

'The Great Deceiver' is a marvellous way of getting into the '73-4 sound world. A cheaper (but equally glorious) way is 'The Nightwatch.'

i have all KC except islands and lizard-- you might think its due to those getting more negitive reviews compared to the others-- however i can assure you that it is just by happenstance that i havent picked these up yet. what is the band like with boz burrell on bass?

Remarkably, [Cat Food] was covered by jazz singer Annie Ross and her version was included on her long-deleted 1971 album You And Me Baby — An Evening With Annie Ross. The band, featuring the talents of Rick Laird (about-to-be Mahavishnu Orchestra member) on bass and Dave MacRea (Nucleus/Matching Mole) on keyboards, take the tune at a fair pace, as Annie extemporises a few meows in between the verses.

ItCoKC

Anyone seeking a copy of 'Groon' (the B-side of 'Cat Food') who doesn't want to shell out on the most recent version of 'In the Wake of Poseidon' (which is otherwise identical to the previous version without the single tracks) might be interested in this recent release:

B000A6OB4A.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A marvellous compilation from Island's glory years in the late 60s/early 70s:

1. Supernatural Fairy Tales - Art

2. Paper Sun - Traffic

3. Harpsichord Shuffle - Wynder K. Frog

4. Rainbow Chaser - Nirvana

5. Pearly Queen - Tramline

6. Sunshine Help Me - Spooky Tooth

7. Dusty - Martyn, John

8. Meet On The Ledge - Fairport Convention

9. Song For Jeffrey - Jethro Tull

10. Carpenter - Clouds

11. I Keep Singing That Same Song - Heavy Jelly

12. Black Mass - White Noise

13. Over The Green Hills - Free

14. Worry - Free

15. Giants - Quintessence

16. Queen Of Scots - Amazing Blondel

17. Feelin' Alright - Traffic

18. Sing Me A Song That I Know So Well - Blodwyn Pig

19. Sailors Life - Fairport Convention

Disc: 2

1. New Day Yesterday - Jethro Tull

2. No Time To Live - Traffic

3. Three Hours - Drake, Nick

4. Lost In My Dream - Spooky Tooth

5. Stormbringer - John & Beverley Martyn

6. Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal - Dr. Strangely Strange

7. Notting Hill Gate - Quintessence

8. Banks Of the Nile - Fotheringay

9. Wild World - Cat Stevens

10. Painted Chariot - Incredible String Band

11. Cat Food - King Crimson

12. Groon - King Crimson

13. Northstar Grassman And The Ravens - Sandy Denny

14. Suite In C - McDonald & Giles

15. Siege Of Yaddlethorpe - Amazing Blondel

Disc: 3

1. Knife Edge - Emerson Lake & Palmer

2. Thunderbuck Ram - Mott The Hoople

3. Northern Sky - Nick Drake

4. Thru The Night - Alan Bown

5. Dark Dance - Robin Williamson,

6. I Am The Walrus - Spooky Tooth

7. Glistening Glyndebourne - John Martyn

8. Fire And Water - Free

9. See My Way - Blodwyn Pig

10. See The World (Through My Eyes) - Vinegar Joe

11. Peace Train - Cat Stevens

12. Watercolour Days - Clouds

13. Low Spark Of The High Heeled Boys - Traffic

14. Song For Suzie - Heads Hands & Feet

Some classic stuff; some interesting oddities; some pretty dreadful oddities!

Some of those bands I haven't heard of in years! The Amazing Blondel???

I suspect most were on very different labels in the US.

In the UK Island had a very distinctive image associated with these musicians who ranged from Brit-blues through psychedelia to folk-rock.

That pink Island logo that used to be on the centre of the discs has a powerful nostalgic pull.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 5 weeks later...

I was leafing through the liner notes to Larks' Tongues in Aspic and found this bizarre little item among the press clippings.

From the June 1973 issue of Cosmopolitan:

COSMO LISTENS TO THE RECORDS

by Anne Nightingale

Get your pennies ready--or to be more accurate, your pounds--because there's a lot of good but expensive music this month. I'm torn apart about who to mention first, but sheer loyalty must put King Crimson before all others. It's not so much a band of progressive musicians, more a collective name under which Robert Fripp hires the best players in the land to work with him. Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Island) might sound an oblique title, but I find his music straightforward enough. It's full of shocks--one minute you're being wooed by a soft solo violin, the next you're being splattered against the wall by the sheer violence of the band. An enticing experience. The fact that the latest Crimson line-up features an ex-Yes drummer, an ex-Family bass player, and a percussionist who hits everything from whispering tinkly bells to huge sheets of metal, and is also prone to rattling chains, won't allow you to draw any premature conclusions. Good.

there is a new download available at DGM live. Its the final show from the Power to Believe Tour, Nov 14 2003 in Kingston, NY. Double disc, and it's HEAVY!! :excited:

Ooooooooooo, thank you (I think ;) ) for the warning. And here I was intending to buy one of the soundscapes next.

By the way, everything you said about Asbury '74 was true. And even more. It's earth shattering stuff. I hope Bev and all other fans of this era are able to download it.

Ooooooooooo, thank you (I think ;) ) for the warning. And here I was intending to buy one of the soundscapes next.

By the way, everything you said about Asbury '74 was true. And even more. It's earth shattering stuff. I hope Bev and all other fans of this era are able to download it.

yes, that show is one of the very best that I have heard. It seems very clear to me that they were saving this one and a few of the others (like the Buenos Aires 1994 show or the Zoom club show from 1972) to launch this web site with the best of the best, or else these would have been released as KCCC discs a long time ago.

It seems very clear to me that they were saving this one (Asbury) and a few of the others (like the Buenos Aires 1994 show or the Zoom club show from 1972) to launch this web site with the best of the best, or else these would have been released as KCCC discs a long time ago.

You mean Zoom Club '71? (Zoom '72 is a KCCC.)

Ah, so do you rate Zoom '71 as being better than the '71 KCCCs that are available? (I only have Detroit of those available.)

Also (as we're back in the Kcorner and not specifically talking about the live downloads) I still don't have the '74 Mainz or the '74 Heidelberg KCCCs. For no really good reason I intend to pick up the Mainz ahead of Heidelberg (I like to mix eras with orders, so one will at least have to wait.) Any opinions about these releases (from anyone.)

I have everything else live from '73-'74 that has been officially pressed and while part of me worries about getting too obsessive, the other part says "why not?" :g (I've got a long way to go to match my Dead or Miles collections.)

Mainz is probably the better show, but Heidelberg is close to it, the only problem being the shortened Fracture (the tape ran out 3 min in). You really need them both! Actually, when it comes to that era of Crimson, you really do need to hear it all!! But the improvs on Heidleberg may be better than those on Mainz. Tough call, really

I was referring to the Zoom shows from 1971 (the band that did Islands). I haven't heard all of this band's shows to be able to compare, but the Summit Studios KCCC has the most interesting jams, while these Zoom shows have more of a song based set list (they do Get Thy Bearings, Crimson King and others that they later dropped)

Edited by GregK

Thanks! I've come to the same conclusion regarding the '74s, I just needed a nudge.

As far as KCCCs I have (by year, not #):

71 - Detroit

72 - Jacksonville

72 - Summit Studios

72 - Beat Club

74 - Central Park

95 - Broadway

98 - P4 in SF

01 - Nashville

For my next order I am going to get one of the '74s, Zoom Club '72 and probably one more. I was leaning towards something more modern ('81 onward) but honestly I'm open to anything old or new. For live stuff from the '81-'84 band I have Absent Lovers & the DVD. I'm starting to think that isn't enough.

Any club KCCCs that I don't own that you especially love? At this point I'm quite the Crimslut as I enjoy all eras.

Edited by Quincy

I like the King Crimson that I've heard. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tell you what era it has been from. Any suggestions as to where I should start? Hopefully many of you are familiar enough with my taste in music.

Thanks!

Pick up In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic (or Red), and Discipline. Those should give you a nice introduction into the group's 3 most important periods.

Guy

Thanks! I've come to the same conclusion regarding the '74s, I just needed a nudge.

72 - Jacksonville

72 - Summit Studios

72 - Beat Club

74 - Central Park

95 - Broadway

98 - P4 in SF

I have the above, and also:

71 - Plymouth Guildhall (one of the first gigs by the Islands band)

81 - Moles Club

82 - Cape D'Agde or however you spell it

94 - Vrooom Sessions

I like the King Crimson that I've heard. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tell you what era it has been from. Any suggestions as to where I should start? Hopefully many of you are familiar enough with my taste in music.

Thanks!

Pick up In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic (or Red), and Discipline. Those should give you a nice introduction into the group's 3 most important periods.

Guy

Thanks Guy. I was starting to wonder how many "ignore" lists I was on! ;)

Thanks!

Guy

Thanks Guy. I was starting to wonder how many "ignore" lists I was on! ;)

If you wanted a sampling of what the various incarnations sound like live Cirkus-The Young Person's Guide To King Crimson Live is a great way to go. It might be tough to find and it currently is sold out at Discipline Global, but I find it has terrific sequencing and I still play it even though I now have many discs of full/fuller shows from various eras.

Thanks!

Guy

well, they have done quite a bit since 1980, so i would add Thrak and The Power to Believe to this list to get a better representation.

71 - Detroit

72 - Jacksonville

72 - Summit Studios

72 - Beat Club

74 - Central Park

95 - Broadway

98 - P4 in SF

01 - Nashville

For my next order I am going to get one of the '74s, Zoom Club '72 and probably one more. I was leaning towards something more modern ('81 onward) but honestly I'm open to anything old or new. For live stuff from the '81-'84 band I have Absent Lovers & the DVD. I'm starting to think that isn't enough.

Any club KCCCs that I don't own that you especially love? At this point I'm quite the Crimslut as I enjoy all eras.

Cap d'Agde is a great one from the 80s, but the sound isnt the best. The one from Philly is good too, and it has versions of the Howler, Discipline and the Sheltering Sky. The ProjeKct One KCCC is one of my favorites-it is made of 3 suites compiled from over the 4 nights of performances, with a lot of nice Soundscaping from Fripp. I have enjoyed the ProjeKct Three disc a lot too-a little heavier than the disc included with the ProjeKcts box set