***King Crimson Corner***

Guy Berger

re: "the passion for surround".

Outside of the very small group of audiophiles, many consumers only own surround sound systems anymore. Their primary stereo is whichever one is hooked up to their DVD player. Some of my friends that are surround nuts are really looking forward to hearing these Crimson discs.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peter & Gordon both have deserved success in their professional lives & have taken advantage of their access to media, online & hard copy, to present their own feelings & state their cases. So, hopefully, a happy ending is now available.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=53839

Fripp was referring to Peter Sinfield & Gordon Haskell, not Gordon Waller.

"Red" also seemed hurried and unfinished to me when it came out. It seemed put together by a group that was about to split up. Also, it lacked the gorgeous graphics of prior albums. And why was David Cross on the album but not on the cover?

He wasn't in the band anymore. He only plays on the live improv from the last tour, not on the studio tracks.

Guest Bill Barton

i dunno, but this weekend im gonna see Trey Gunn & Pat Mastellato

This was a pretty nice set by TU as the duo is billed. They took awhile to warm-up but when things jelled they really jelled.

r u talking about the afternoon gig or the club gig the night prior in georgetown. the club gig rocked my socks. at the day gig at first i thought there is no way this is gonna sound good cause of the tiny speakers but actually they pulled an ok sound out of what they had to work with- the day gig was nice but the club gig was out of control. pat called out different timings to trey: eg. 7-4-6: they'd hit in unsion-

bam bam bam bam bam bam bam

bam bam bam bam

bam bam bam bam bam bam

then 1 6 2:

bam

bam bam bam bam bam bam

bam bam

then pat is all: whats the area code here: (trey- 206)

bam bam

[pause for zero]

bam bam bam bam bam bam

it was prog rock subdivided down to its basic mathematical contents---

but the best part of the evening gig, they finished another one of their jams, and all of a sudden: BAAA BAADA DA BA DAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (21 century schizoid man) and i went WHOHOHOHHHOHOHOOHooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they played it with all these samples, like from movie dialogue--- instead of instrumentally doing the lyrical lines of the song-- it was like 21st centry meets elephant talk

then they faded out that song and all of a sudden trey ssegued that into the starless bass riff- at which point i went oh my god! oh my god omg omg omg omg omg omgomgomgomgogmomgogmogmogmogmomgomgomgogmgomwhooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i had **NEVER** heard that live before and i was freaking out!

Guest Bill Barton

Well, crap, I didn't know about the club gig... Ah, well... Glad you had such a good time!

Yeah, I was referring to the set at Sounds Outside.

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

did you like the part when they played starless

Yes, indeed! And I really enjoyed their use of sampling... All in all a good set. I took a lot of photos but won't have time to get 'em up online for awhile. I'm in the throes of moving and all is in chaos or boxes (or both!) at present. As of August 1st I'll be a Georgetown resident.

• 2 months later...

Some cool pics from the listening session held this past Tuesday for some of the new 5.1 KC editions here.

Starless/Red-era lineup (Wetton, Cross, Fripp, Bruford):

Air8.jpg

Michael Giles, Pete Sinfield, Bill Bruford, David Cross, Robert Fripp, John Wetton, and Mel Collins:

Air10.jpg

Steven Wilson & Fripp:

Air16.jpg

• 2 months later...

The dvda of Red sounds fantastic! Highly recommended - it is probably my favorite of the first 3 dvda sets (Court, Lizard, & Red) to be released. Though the music itself is probably my favorite of the three as well.

51QXYBCW6SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

There's also some great video of the Cross/Wetton/Bruford Fripp lineup from French TV in March 74, performing Larks Tongue II, Night Watch, Lament, and Starless. :tup

The dvda of Red sounds fantastic! Highly recommended - it is probably my favorite of the first 3 dvda sets (Court, Lizard, & Red) to be released. Though the music itself is probably my favorite of the three as well.

51QXYBCW6SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

There's also some great video of the Cross/Wetton/Bruford Fripp lineup from French TV in March 74, performing Larks Tongue II, Night Watch, Lament, and Starless. :tup

Agreed! I don't have 5.1 but love the hi-res stereo sound. Love love love it! Lizard is a pretty dandy package too with both the old mix and new remix available. Still haven't played the old one yet. :lol:

These releases have been so great I'm likely going to buy the releases I'm less warm & fuzzy about, such as In The Wake Of Poseidon. I can hardly wait for the next batch! :)

• 3 months later...

There's a modest sale at dgm.com on King Crimson Collector's Club discs, and so to start off in a search of disc reviews I lazily typed in its common abbreviation KCCC and hit enter before typing "review" or the band name. I thought perhaps a radio station might kick out or maybe even a paper by confused Soviet history student, but I didn't expect this to be near the top:

post-377-127078948309_thumb.jpg

Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Ooo, imagine the business synergies between these two!

I can't get the webshop to load for me for some reason. What's the sale? I haven't bought a Collector's Club disc in probably 4 years.

It's just 10% off and it ends soon. I haven't bought any in about a year but will go for the complete Zurich '73 (I'm feeling weak & completist as part of it is on The Great Deceiver) and possibly a the Denver '72 (the more recent concert release, not the very early Summit? studio release.) This need probably comes out of expecting to be buying the next round of 40th Anniversary releases but they've been put off until September.

I can't get the webshop to load for me for some reason. What's the sale? I haven't bought a Collector's Club disc in probably 4 years.

It's just 10% off and it ends soon. I haven't bought any in about a year but will go for the complete Zurich '73 (I'm feeling weak & completist as part of it is on The Great Deceiver) and possibly a the Denver '72 (the more recent concert release, not the very early Summit? studio release.) This need probably comes out of expecting to be buying the next round of 40th Anniversary releases but they've been put off until September.

I've ignored those recent reissues because they just reissued everything between 1999-2001 (and they sound fine to me), and I don't have DVD-A, or any interest in watching archival videos more than once. Robert Fripp may deny being King Crimson, but he is definitely the King of Reissues.

Here's the ultimate in Fripp bonkerosity. 6 CD's of him talking:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-Fripp-Unplugged/dp/B001PCJ7YM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1270921721&sr=8-7

It has a download price of nearly £50 on iTunes, a bit more modest here.

I think his sister is involved in some sort of 'how to live a more meaningful life/find success/reach spiritual Nirvana' lark. You hear that in some Fripp's own pronouncements some times.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

He may be full of skata, but he is one of the most under-recognized, underappreciated guitarists in rock!

Oh, I love his playing. Undoubtedly my favourite electric guitarist, unique style, avoids all the cliches.

Just think what rock electric guitarists sounded like in 1969. Fripp and Richard Thompson threw the standard blues approach (that was everywhere in the UK at the time) and did something quite different.

Absolutely one of the most talented and unique players, musicians, I have ever heard (just happens that Adrian Belew is almost as good). Doesn't make me want to read his diary entries very often (sometimes they are fascinating, however).