Strange Happenings with my IPOD

makpjazz57

My IPOD started to skip and shut off and generally behave badly several days ago. I tried every trick in the iPOD manual - restore, reset, reloading of itunes and iPOD downloader. Nothing worked and I was ready to give up and did give up for the evening. The next morning, I accidentally dropped the iPOD from my desk to the carpeted floor. Picked it up and believe it or not - it worked and has worked since then. I, of course, do not recommend this to anyone, but I found it strange and amusing.

There are also some great forums out there - i think one is ipodhacker.com and the other is at ipodlounge.com.

Marla

Yep, I agree that ipodlounge is very good. Sometimes I have just typed my particular ipod issue into Google and am taken to the answer. The Apple help for ipods is decent too.

They can be frustrating beasts. I just updated my itunes and ipod software and in doing so, my PC refused to recognize my ipod. Went through a bunch of steps and it started to work again, but I'll be damnned if I can remember which step fixed the problem.

Still, the combo of the ipod and itunes is hard to beat ...

Edited by Eric

I'm addicted to my iPOD. I rarely download from itunes, since I have so many CDs. Sorry to hear of your problems since updating itunes. While my iPOD is still working after a long roadtrip/workout, I have yet to hook it back up to the PC since the problems. I'm leaving well enough alone for the moment!

Marla

Try running the latest version of iPod Updater. Make sure you have a back up though, since it complete wipes out your iPod.

I'm afraid my 10GB 3rd Gen iPod is starting to go. I usually have to run the Updater every 2 - 3 weeks now. It works fine, but I have problems with the autosync to iTunes.

Silver Lining = maybe I finally buy a new one! Have to see how much it costs to fix this one.

One of my vendors sent me a 1GB shuffle as a Christmas gift this year. Didn't keep it though... raffled it off to someone in the office. Damn ethics... :blink:

I had that same problem where the PC just stopped recognizing the iPod. I don't use iTunes normally (I have a Winamp plug-in that works well), but when the problem happened, neither program would see it. I finally had to format the entire thing (with the iPod updater), and reload all the songs. It's been fine ever since.

And spinlps, those brand new 60GB video ipods look mighty nice... :cool::w

One itunes update my ipod put half my titles in an Asian dialect, Korean I think. That was hot stuff.

Pretty funny! Guess your iPOD was trying to get you to learn a new language!

I'm going to "take the plunge" and synch mine today with my PC and hope I still have an iPOD when done with it!

Marla

That's an understatement! They're sweet and the battery life for playing music is unreal.

Plus, I can charge them via USB when traveling... an option Apple decided not to build into new firmware releases for my model :angry:

That's an understatement! They're sweet and the battery life for playing music is unreal.

Plus, I can charge them via USB when traveling... an option Apple decided not to build into new firmware releases for my model :angry:

I just bought a 60gb video iPod last week. It's my first iPod, and I'm quite pleased with it. The screen quality is excellent, and I've watched a few shows on it. A couple of complaints:

- No ability to create a custom EQ on the fly.

- The shuffle function is difficult to figure out. (maybe I'm dumb, but I'm not getting it yet)

I'm still not a huge fan of iTunes, but I'm getting used to it as well. I'll probably buy Anapod, so that I can just treat my iPod like a regular hard drive, which I prefer.

No ipod has had customizable EQ yet.

Also, the shuffle option is in the settings menu. You can shuffle by album or by song. I often select shuffle by song and theny play an entire genre (like Hard Bop) to test my recognition skills. Of course, sometimes this makes me feel stupid as well.

Ditto that... my iPod and Shure EC3's block almost all of the background plane noise.

Try having a 10GB iPod with 60+GB of music! I've really had to learn to populate all of the property fields and take advantage of the free form comments field so that I can synch the iPod using smart playlists. Even if I upgrade to a newer model, I'd still use playlists.

That might be an interesting thread... "post your latest smart playlist settings"

An ipod and noise reduction headphones almost accomplish the impossible--making an airplane ride a pleasant experience.

Alas, I have just 2.14 gb of free space left and with Christmas, my 60 gb model is likely to be full in the next week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Try running the latest version of iPod Updater. Make sure you have a back up though, since it complete wipes out your iPod.

That is a real pain. I didn't know what I was getting into when I updated to the new iTunes. It has really screwed up what was a great thing.

I have over 200 GB of music ripped into my iTunes. The new iTunes apparently does scans of every file every time it loads. While the old iTunes would load immediately, the new iTunes takes about 5 minutes to load. It also ties up my computer for about 5 minutes after I exit iTunes.

Another problem is my iPod. It no longer works with the new iTunes and I am now going to have to use the Pod Updater, which will wipe out my files and force me to spend a whole lot of time selecting and transferring 40 GBs from iTunes.

Damn. If only I had just left everything alone.

Here is a question that I currently have. I downloaded the iPod Updater software twice already. After the download, it forced the computer to reboot. But I have not been able to figure out how to get it to run on my iPod. When I try to interface with iTunes, it just gives me the same message that I need to download the software again.

Edited by John L

Guest akanalog

i got an old 15 GB ipod and the battery is finally at a point where the ipod is only useable for an hour or so.

so i just ordered a third party battery and will be attempting to open my ipod and change the battery myself. the battery was a lot cheaper than getting it replaced at the apple store and is supposed to last longer.

we shall see how this works.

i got an old 15 GB ipod and the battery is finally at a point where the ipod is only useable for an hour or so.

so i just ordered a third party battery and will be attempting to open my ipod and change the battery myself. the battery was a lot cheaper than getting it replaced at the apple store and is supposed to last longer.

we shall see how this works.

Please let me know how the battery change goes

I have been considering the same thing for

my first generation I-pod

Edited by gslade

I ran the iPod Update program. Fortunately, it does NOT wipe out any of the files on the iPod if you don't want it to. The program now gives you a choice of "update" or "restore." Only the latter option will return the iPod to factory settings and wipe out existing files.