airto and flora and related...

Guest donald petersen

I have seen this duo with their band many times. The last time was with Fourth World at Ronnie Scotts, brilliant to say the least. The cd you want is called Essential Airto nscd 051, all the killer tracks from london jazz scene where he is worshipped like a god. When he plays Celebration Suite we go ballistic, we love him, paul uk :):)

i have the two buddahs on the one CD deal and they are ok.

i like the first set on the disc better.

the second - the songs are too short except the longer freak out song which has a lot of shaking and rattling but not much else. ......

Well, I can see what you want to say - but this is Brazilian experimental music and not jazz, and for their time in their context this was far ahead ..... I find these longish tracks very interesting, and I think I get their message.

I am also a bit surprised about the rather lukewarm reactions to the two Arista LPs Identity and Promises of the Sun, the former with Egberto Gismonti, Herbie Hancock and others, the latter with a tight working group including Hugo Fattoruso, one of his few fully realized albums as a whole. But as I said - you have to judge these from the Brazilian perspective, the jazz point of view doesn't do them enough justice.

Edited by mikeweil

I still like the early Flora albums. "Butterfly Dreams" definitely holds up for me. Maybe it's the Joe Henderson presence. All of the Milestone albums have some interesting things, actually.

I'll second that emotion. I'm particularly fond of Open Your Eyes You Can Fly.

Yes, all of them have some interesting things, but all of them suffer from Keepnews' over-ambitious production work, IMHO. For me the Montreux live album works best.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

i just got airto's "i am fine, how are you" on a whim and it is pretty good. this is a late one, from 1977 i think and the lineup isn't promising (tom scott is on the album).

but it is really pretty nice. sort of jumps around a bit genre-wise with some fusion-ey parts and some brazilian percussion-ey parts, but overall nice.

i also just got a new reissue of "free" with some bonus tracks. not sure if this is a japanese reissue or what, but there are i think three bonus tracks, one of them being a longer version of a tune already on the album and i think another might be a keith jarrett tune.

Guest akanalog

i guess cal tjader's amazonas is ok. i think mike W likes that one a bit.

george duke is always nice around this time period and tjader's vibes i guess is a logical addition to airto and friends kind of fusion.

the song which features my hated dave amaro, "flying" is even pretty cool and has this odd percolating clavinet thing going on and a fluid guitar solo i can enjoy.

i just got airto's "i am fine, how are you" on a whim and it is pretty good. this is a late one, from 1977 i think and the lineup isn't promising (tom scott is on the album).

but it is really pretty nice. sort of jumps around a bit genre-wise with some fusion-ey parts and some

I played that a lot when it was new, and used it on parties as well - people liked it and danced to it like mad!

Guest akanalog

actually, you know-the opa two-fer isn't bad.

the first album isn't as good though not bad but the second is sort of a cool messy sprawling brazilian fusion album if you can get into it.

actually, you know-the opa two-fer isn't bad.

the first album isn't as good though not bad but the second is sort of a cool messy sprawling brazilian fusion album if you can get into it.

I've always liked them. Their groove was good, loose and tight at the same time.

Keyboardist Hugo Fattoruso settled in the US, BTW: http://www.candombe.com/

Edited by mikeweil

• 17 years later...