Ratings question on Mosaic sets on AMG

I am confused at how Mosaic sets can get a 5 star rating on AMG when the original single releases only got 3 perhaps 4 stars.Any thoughts?

The person(s) assigning the ratings to the individual albums may not be the same as those covering the Mosaic sets. That said, I have found ratings on CDs I have reviewed for AMG, given them lower or higher ratings than they were first assigned, and found no change at times, even after my review is posted.

I don't know why this happens...

I am confused at how Mosaic sets can get a 5 star rating on AMG when the original single releases only got 3 perhaps 4 stars.Any thoughts?

It does seems a bit odd, but sometimes it happens that when all the music is packaged together it gives it a sense of cohesion that can not be present in one session . For me, a perfect example of this is the Elvin Jones Mosaic set. There are albums on that set that I wouldn't give five stars on their own. But I would give the set itself 5 stars. When all the individual sessions are heard in sequence, a unity emerges which makes each session somewhow shine more brightly.

It does seems a bit odd, but sometimes it happens that when all the music is packaged together it gives it a sense of cohesion that can not be present in one session . For me, a perfect example of this is the Elvin Jones Mosaic set. There are albums on that set that I wouldn't give five stars on their own. But I would give the set itself 5 stars. When all the individual sessions are heard in sequence, a unity emerges which makes each session somewhow shine more brightly.

Took the words right out of my mouth. meatloaf-thumb.jpg

The other thing, too - and I know the results are often inconsistent - is that AMG claims that the star ratings are in relation to an artists' work as a whole. So while different albums might rate from one to five stars each, a boxed set of those same albums could still get 5 stars for how they might represent an artist's oeuvre.