Talking Heads individual remasters

Big Al

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys know where I could find a list of cd-players that are compatible with dualdiscs?

Are you talking about the CD side or the DVD side? I always figured the CD side of a DualDisc would play on any CD player; is that not correct?

Apparently not, it seems they might be harmful to some CD players; that's why audio gear manufacturers like Mark Levinson and Marantz are warning against dualdiscs.

Do you guys know where I could find a list of cd-players that are compatible with dualdiscs?

Are you talking about the CD side or the DVD side? I always figured the CD side of a DualDisc would play on any CD player; is that not correct?

Apparently not, it seems they might be harmful to some CD players; that's why audio gear manufacturers like Mark Levinson and Marantz are warning against dualdiscs.

To say DualDiscs "might be harmful to some CD players" is not right, I think (unless there are more issues than the one quoted below).

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT DUAL DISC

Apr 5, 2005

Below we inform you on an important notice about dual disc from our research & development centre in Japan

Some two sided discs - which are referred to as ’DualDisc’ - have been released into the market to consumers by some music companies. These two sided discs appear to be a bonded combination of DVD on one side of the disc and non-DVD on the other side of the disc.

Marantz understands that, the non-DVD side of the ’DualDisc’ does not meet the Compact Disc Digital Audio specification and does not bear CD logo. Accordingly, the non-DVD side of a ’DualDisc’ may not play in Marantz DVD products.

Insertion or ejection of a ’DualDisc’ into/from Marantz’s DVD products is likely to cause scratches to the surface of the ’DualDisc’.

Scratched discs may not play in DVD products.

Marantz continues to investigate this new technology. At this time, the DVD content side of most ’DualDisc’ will play in most Marantz home DVD players.

Please use a Marantz DVD Audio player to play DVD Audio content on ’DualDisc’.

The non-DVD side of the ’DualDisc’ is not compliant with the Compact Disc Digital Audio Specification. Accordingly, the non-DVD side of a ’DualDisc’ may not play in Marantz CD products.

Insertion or ejection of a ’DualDisc’ into/from Marantz’s CD products is likely to cause scratches to the surface of the ’DualDisc’.

Scratched discs may not play in CD products or Super Audio CD players.

Marantz will update this notice based on our further investigation.

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fusea...&cont=eu&bus=hf

Doesn't sound that risky to me. I'd throw DualDiscs in my Marantz units any day.

To say DualDiscs "might be harmful to some CD players" is not right, I think (unless there are more issues than the one quoted below).

Well, that's what I was told by my high-end audio dealer. Just thought I'd mention it here.

O.K., did your dealer offer some information as to where and what the dangers are?

Well, that's what I was told by my high-end audio dealer. Just thought I'd mention it here.

O.K., did your dealer offer some information as to where and what the dangers are?

Yes he did, but I don't remember (I'm not that technical). If people are unsure about all this I'd suggest they check with their dealers first.

Edited by J.A.W.

Everything I've heard about the "dangers" of DualDiscs simply has to do with the fact that they are a bit heavier than a standard DVD or CD. I've seen some weight measurements on the differences, and if I remember correctly, DualDiscs were an average of 3-4 grams heavier than a regular disc. In my opinion, that's not a big deal.

I've had no trouble with DualDiscs in my Pioneer 563A or my Sonys (DVP-NS755 and DVPNC80V).

I placed an order for Remain In Light and Fear Of Music today (www.cdon.com) I was told at www.stevehoffman.tv that all the Talking Heads cds are released as CD+DVD-A in Europe, not as Dualdiscs! Phew!

If something goes wrong, I will let you know (nothing disastrous is going to happen,believe me!).

Yes indeed- saw these today and (here in the UK) we're getting 2 disc CD + DVD sets, not Dualdiscs.

The extra material doesn't seem too essential; basically unfinished demos and alternate versions. Interesting for hardcore Head heads but I can live without them. The one disc I heard- Fear of Music- seemed to be a little better defined (this was always their darkest, fuzziest sounding album- not necessarily a bad thing IMO) although I heard it on a crappy portable CD player so hard to judge.

I'm not tempted to upgrade. Maybe if I see 'em going waaaaay cheap.

I've heard nothing but problems with the Dualdiscs of Talking Heads. I've ordered the ones I want from the UK where they are not dualdiscs but double CD sets with a regular CD and a DVD-A.

They sound amazing, by the way. really superb remastering, notwithstanding what a few wankers on Hoffman's publicity board want to tell. That place has zero credibility.

They sound amazing, by the way. really superb remastering, notwithstanding what a few wankers on Hoffman's publicity board want to tell. That place has zero credibility.

Well, I'm one of those wankers who regularly visit the Steve Hoffman Forums, and there's really no need to be so condescending and offensive, just because you don't agree with what some posters over there think of these remasters (which I haven't heard myself and which I'm not interested in) :tdown

I agree that is a bit condescending, but try not to be offended J.A.W. The posts at the SH forum can get a bit over the top. I do find the place to be an EXTEMELY useful resource for learning infinite, minute details about the music I love. That's really the main vibe of that place, IMO. People who love music, and don't hesitate in being passionate when discussing it, kinda like around here. And when listening to the music they love, they want to hear it in the best possible sound quality. A great place to learn about cds/lps to avoid.

My advice: take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Take it in, but always use your own judgment, and yes, your own ears.

I think SH once said, "What sounds good to me, may not sound good to you..."

Sound advice, I believe...(please ignore the pun) ;)

I have begun friendships there with several persons who I consider to be some of the best I've ever met. Same with this board.

You know, I guess I am sort of offended by calling it "Hoffman's publicity board." Not that Steve Hoffman needs me to defend him, but I think that's way off mark. Publicity for what? For good sound? How can that be a bad thing? Offering a place for people to discuss music, in a well-moderated fashion, can only be a good thing. I never seen SH as one who spends time tooting his own horn. He offers great insight on how to get good sound, and has a lot of experience with the master tapes so I really believe he's pretty qualified to make some of his judgment calls.

Geez, he even recently had another "field trip" invitation to board members to attend the mastering of "Bill Evans Trio at Shelly's Manne Hole", and some other lp I forget right now, for the Analogue Productions 45-RPM Lp. How fucking cool is that?

I'm really not out to attack you personally Robert H., but I'm not sure if you've actually spent much time on that board to warrant unkind/unfair remarks like that. Please let me know if I'm wrong here; maybe without calling me a wanker, too.

I'm not usually an internet-policeman...just another POV is all...

(gets down off soapbox) :rolleyes:

The problem on the Steve Hoffman forum is that many regular posters have a predetermined opinion on the sound of CD reissues. There is a general preference for original CD releases and scepticism towards remasters. This may me justified in a certain way for pop reissues, where there is an annoying trend towards compressed and bright sound, but I notice too many negative comments on the SH forum from people who admit having only heard other CDs from the same label or reissue engineer.

I think the board is very useful for advice on the sound of CDs, but one has to take the statements (including Hoffman's) with a grain of salt.

I don't mind the wackos who buy ten versions of the same album, if they can help me buying the best one.

I agree that is a bit condescending, but try not to be offended J.A.W. The posts at the SH forum can get a bit over the top. I do find the place to be an EXTEMELY useful resource for learning infinite, minute details about the music I love. That's really the main vibe of that place, IMO. People who love music, and don't hesitate in being passionate when discussing it, kinda like around here. And when listening to the music they love, they want to hear it in the best possible sound quality. A great place to learn about cds/lps to avoid.

Well, there is not that much discussion on the music really, but more on release versions, reissue plans (of music that is already available). I admit that myself I talk more about these things than about the actual music.

The problem on the Steve Hoffman forum is that many regular posters have a predetermined opinion on the sound of CD reissues. There is a general preference for original CD releases and scepticism towards remasters. This may me justified in a certain way for pop reissues, where there is an annoying trend towards compressed and bright sound, but I notice too many negative comments on the SH forum from people who admit having only heard other CDs from the same label or reissue engineer.

I think the board is very useful for advice on the sound of CDs, but one has to take the statements (including Hoffman's) with a grain of salt.

True, though I find SH's statements usually quite reliable.

I don't mind the wackos who buy ten versions of the same album, if they can help me buying the best one.

And here's a wacko who's still trying to find Impulse! CDs that sound OK on his system... ;)

The problem on the Steve Hoffman forum is that many regular posters have a predetermined opinion on the sound of CD reissues. There is a general preference for original CD releases and scepticism towards remasters. This may me justified in a certain way for pop reissues, where there is an annoying trend towards compressed and bright sound (...)

An increasing number of classical and jazz reissues also sound bright and (too) loud, that's why I'm currently selling so many reissues from my collection; they're hurting my (admittedly aging) ears and I can't enjoy the music that way. I often prefer earlier CD issues of the same music, most of them sound pretty good to excellent on my system, not too loud and certainly not bright.

Al, sorry I hijacked your thread.

Discussion of what the SH forum, especially as it pertains to this particular thread (I mean, we are talking about a reissue where sound quality is a major factor in someone’s decision to buy these discs), is hardly hijacking, my friend! :) On the contrary, I’m actually quite grateful that the SH forum came up in this thread; I don’t often visit that forum (which is a good thing: I could easily spend three days there and not notice a moment gone by!), but I also value the opinions spoken over there.

More salt for the meat, y’know? :tup

Received FEAR OF MUSIC and REMAIN IN LIGHT today, listening to the DVD side of RIL.

Wow! This sounds phenomenal on my dinky little DVD player on my computer; I can only imagine what this must sound like on a real surround-sound system! The stereo separation is very crisp, every instrument is audible. "The Overload" is on right now (my favorite from that album) and the way the music seamlessly bounces back and forth between each speaker makes this already-ominous tune even more spooky!

A real treat for these ears, letmetellyou!!! :tup