Stan Getz Quartet

Son-of-a-Weizen

Is 'Stan the Man' the only commercially available (well, sort of) title out there on LP or cassette? Anyone know if Verve plans to do anything with 'Stan the Man' (ie. release to cd)....or if there's something else from that '60/'61 quartet that might see the light of day?

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Hope that Verve still has the tapes of that Stan Getz quartet session with Scott LaFaro and will release it all. Realize that this is wishful thinking only since Verve seems to have other priorities...

There is an Italian bootleg out on Raretone (Stan Getz Special - Vol. 1) that has on side B three tunes performed by the Getz Quartet (with Steve Kuhn, Scott LaFaro and Roy Haynes) at the Newport 1961 festival. This appearance was the last one by LaFaro who died in a car crash three days after this Newport concert.

That Getz quartet made beautiful music!

(snip)

There is an Italian bootleg out on Raretone (Stan Getz Special - Vol. 1) that has on side B three tunes performed by the Getz Quartet (with Steve Kuhn, Scott LaFaro and Roy Haynes) at the Newport 1961 festival. This appearance was the last one by LaFaro who died in a car crash three days after this Newport concert.

That set is available on the "vine" circuit:

Stan Getz Quartet

Newport, RI; 3 July 1961

Stan Getz (ts)

Steve Kuhn (p)

Scott LaFaro (b)

Roy Haynes (d)

1. Baubles, Bangles and Beads (8:18)

2. Where Do You Go? (8:16)

3. Airegin (8:26)

Total time - 25:01

Edited by MartyJazz

(snip)

That set is available on the "vine" circuit:

Stan Getz Quartet

Newport, RI; 3 July 1961

Stan Getz (ts)

Steve Kuhn (p)

Scott LaFaro (b)

Roy Haynes (d)

1. Baubles, Bangles and Beads (8:18)

2. Where Do You Go? (8:16)

3. Airegin (8:26)

Total time - 25:01

I've got this on a cd of dubious provenance where it's coupled with some Miles from (I think) 1956. I'll get the details when I return home.

I have that Stan Getz/Miles Davis CD "Tune Up". The Getz with LaFaro isn't the greatest sound quality but is listenable -- LaFaro takes some awesome solos!! That has to be out there somewhere in better quality -- wouldn't you think?

Anyways, I posted this elsewhere, but for those interested there is a new Japanese CD entitled "1960" of previously unreleased material from a trio session with Scott LaFaro, Steve Kuhn and Pete LaRoca (not Roy Haynes who I believe is the drummer on the "Tune Up" CD). It's a short CD (30 minutes) but it has two interesting takes of them running through Mile's "So What". Interesting to hear Scott LaFaro's take on that tune as well as his working in a trio with Kuhn instead of the more well know Bill Evans Trio.