Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Kreilly

Is there a reliable guide to Kirk's catalog anywhere? The Collectables editions of "Rahsaan Rahsaan" and "The Case of the 3 Sided Dream In Audio Color" have 2 second gaps inserted between continuous live performances. On the OJCCD-459-2 edition of "Kirk's Work" the very beginning of track 1 is missing. The first second of track 2 begins at the end of track 1 and the first second of track 3 begins at the end of track 2, this occurs through the end of the cd.

I'd rather not have to buy these things twice. Any help?

Kevin

Edited by Kreilly

I'm not too sure if this helps you.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk Band

Rahsaan Roland Kirk (ts, bass sax, fl, tp, stritchaphone, mzo, arr) Pat Patrick (bars) Hilton Ruiz, Richard Tee (key) Arthur Jenkins (key, arr) Cornell Dupree, Keith Loving, Hugh McCracken (g) Francisco Centeno, Metathias Pearson, Bill Salter (b) Sonny Brown, Steve Gadd, John Goldsmith (d) Lawrence Killian (cga) Ralph MacDonald (cga, per) William Eaton (arr)

Regent Sound Studios, NYC, May 14, 1975?

30750 Conversation Atlantic SD 1674

30751 Bye Bye Blackbird -

30752 Horses (Monogram/Republic) -

30753 High Heeled Sneakers -

30754 Dream -

30755 Echoes of Primitive Ohio and Chili Dogs -

30756 The Entertainer (Done in the Style of the Blues) -

30757 Freaks for the Festival -

30758 Dream -

30759 Portrait of Those Beautiful Ladies -

30760 Dream -

30761 The Entertainer -

30762 Dream -

30763 - -

30764 Portrait of Those Beautiful Ladies -

30765 Dream -

30766 Freaks for the Festival -

30767 Horses -

30768 Bye Bye Blackbird -

30769 Conversation -

30770 Telephone Conversation unissued

* Roland Kirk - The Case of the 3 Sided Dream in Audio Color (Atlantic SD 1674)

Is there a reliable guide to Kirk's catalog anywhere? The Collectables editions of "Rahsaan Rahsaan" and "The Case of the 3 Sided Dream In Audio Color" have 2 second gaps inserted between continuous live performances. On the OJCCD-459-2 edition of "Kirk's Work" the very beginning of track 1 is missing. The first second of track 2 begins at the end of track 1 and the first second of track 3 begins at the end of track 2, this occurs through the end of the cd.

I'd rather not have to buy these things twice. Any help?

Kevin

An easy solution--burn one of the albums onto a CD. A lot of burning programs allow you to choose the time between tracks (all the way down to zero), but some of them also append the tracks with lead-in seconds. Regardless, you may have the lucky burning program. Just a thought.

As far as Collectables goes--it's a pity that 32 Jazz (etc.) went under, 'cause those were fine reissues. Sound wasn't great, but at least the albums were kept intact. Even if you don't like doubling up, I'd suggest buying the 4-CD "Aces Back to back" (if you don't already have it). It has "Rahsaan Rahsaan," "Left & Right," "Prepare Thyself..." and "Other Folks' Music"--all on separate CDs, all in good shape. On "3-Sided Dream..."--I can testify that the Atlantic reissue is actually alright.

as pointed out already,

- Rahsaan Rahsaan: the 1998 32Jazz 4CD set is fine

- 3Sided Dream: the 1995 Atlantic CD is fine and AFAIK this also goes for the 1999 32Jazz CD, which paired 3Sided Dream with Yusef Lateef's Part of the Search. Only downside is that the telephone conversation that took up side 4 of the original LP only lasts 53 seconds on the latter 32Jazz release

and regarding

- Kirk's Work: my German XYZ digipac OJC20 459-2 is fine

I went throught the same thing with Rahsaan Rahsaan. I called up the Collectables label and they actually said, that was how it came to them. I ended up hunting down the 4 cd set that album is a part of.

Pretty bad excuse! EAC and some cheap software can do that job...

But the 4CD package is great, anyway!

I went throught the same thing with Rahsaan Rahsaan. I called up the Collectables label and they actually said, that was how it came to them. I ended up hunting down the 4 cd set that album is a part of.

Bad excuse? You ain't kidding. I appreciate 32 Jazz more and more every day--especially for the sheer ambition of the CD packages. Budget pricing, well-assembled, classic OOP albums--that's how you get this stuff back on the market. After all the 32 Rahsaan packages, Collectables's weird album pairings and botched single-CD releases just seem weak (although it's nice to have some of the stuff back on the market, and not all of the twofers are strange). I'm just waiting for the day that Rahsaan gets an Atlantic boxed set (e.g., Beauty Is a Rare Thing).

Edited by ep1str0phy

Bad excuse? You ain't kidding. I appreciate 32 Jazz more and more every day--especially for the sheer ambition of the CD packages. Budget pricing, well-assembled, classic OOP albums--that's how you get this stuff back on the market. After all the 32 Rahsaan packages, Collectables's weird album pairings and botched single-CD releases just seem weak (although it's nice to have some of the stuff back on the market, and not all of the twofers are strange). I'm just waiting for the day that Rahsaan gets an Atlantic boxed set (e.g., Beauty Is a Rare Thing).

Another really nice 32 Jazz compilation is David Newman's "It's Mister Fathead" which has (on 2 CDs) four of his Altantic LPs--Ray Charles Presents, Straight Ahead, Fathead Comes On and House of David.