Vocalions for February

This is unconfirmed but seems suspiciously like the real thing - let's hope so...

Scheduled for February 10

CDSML8415 Michael Garrick Trio - Cold Mountain

2CDSML8416 Michael Garrick Quintet/Jeremy Robson - Poetry and Jazz In Concert & Before Night/Day EP

CDSML8418 John Surman/Alan Skidmore/Tony Oxley - Jazz In Britain '68-'69

CDSML8419 The Terry Cavendish Orchestra - All in an Afternoon's Work & bonus tracks:

-Time for change

-Agotado

-Monomania

-Issmak

-Crash Pad

-Joyride (all from 1972)

-Hadrian's Wall (1974)

"Terry Cavendish" doesn't exist but was really Ray Davies the British session trumpet player

CDSML8420 Amancio D'Silva - Konkan Dance

Edited by RogerFarbey

Guest akanalog

sounds good to me! i wish they would chill with the fey garrick releases though for a bit.

John Surman/Alan Skidmore/Tony Oxley: Jazz in Britain '68-'69 Decca Eclipse ECS 2114 (UK) [LP]

1. Bouquet Garni (Cooke)

2. Shepherd Oak (Surman)

3. Bessie [Part 1] (Surman)

4. Bessie [Part 2] (Surman)

5. Circles On Ice (Warren)

6. Winter Song (Surman)

recorded 1968 and 1969, London

on track 1: Mike Osborne, alto saxophone; Alan Skidmore, tenor saxophone; John Surman, baritone saxophone

on track 2: Harry Beckett, fluegelhorn; Malcolm Griffiths, trombone; Mike Osborne, alto saxophone; Alan Skidmore, tenor saxophone; John Surman, baritone saxophone; John Taylor, electric piano; Harry Miller, bass guitar; Alan Jackson, drums

on track 3: John Surman, piano; John Taylor, electric piano; Harry Miller, bass guitar; Alan Jackson, drums

on tracks 4-6: Kenny Wheeler, fluegelhorn, trumpet; Alan Skidmore, tenor saxophone; John Taylor, piano; Harry Miller, bass; Tony Oxley, drums

Presumably also Amancio D'Silva's 'Konkan Dance' will be issued as well (per Steph's email)? (update - ah, just seen it on Roger's list).

Good to see the Garrick 'Cold Mountain' out at last. That one has eluded me.

I have the 'Poetry and Jazz In Concert' 2LP box set. If it's this one, it has Laurie Lee and several other notable poets reciting their stuff with backing from Rendell, Carr, Garrick & co. I quite like this one, although admit that it may not be to everyone's taste.

The 'Jazz In Britain 68-69' looks like an absolute ringer. :excited:

Wonder what the 'Terry Cavendish' is like? :wacko:

Edited by sidewinder

The 'Jazz in Britain 1968-9' is an absolute classic which I have been hoping would be reissued for years. Won't say more than this in case my unbridled hyperbole starts to put people off it. But it is brilliant and perhaps in its modest way a perfect example of the 'golden era' of modern British jazz at its very best.

Edited by RogerFarbey

I've never heard that claim, but it's possible.

From what I remember of the record, it's got a strong "calypso" vibe to at least a few tracks, and I've passed on it for as little bread as $40. But... there are some interesting characters on it, at least, wherever it is on the Britjazz continuum.

Now, the Garrick reish and the upcoming Japanese MPS CD of Decipher (Taylor/Laurence/Levin) get my undies in a bunch! :excited:

Is it true that the 'Jazz In Britain' is from the same sessions that also resulted in Alan Skidmore's 'Once Upon A Time'?

Looking forward to this batch of Vocalions..

Yes according to Simon Spillett who knows Alan Skidmore it is from the same session - certainly sounds the same. The tracks on Jazz in Britain sound strangely more cohesive than 'Once Upon a Time' though. Clifford: no 'calypso' feel as I recall. You may be confusing that with Surman's eponymously titled first album. The opening track has an SOS feel as it as it features Surman Osborne and Skidmore on unaccompanied saxes. The rest is great too - tracks are penned by the likes of John Warren and John Surman so you can already tell how good it is - everyone is playing on top form John Taylor, Kenny Wheeler, Harry Miller, Tony Oxley (proving just what a brilliant 'straight' drummer he is/was), Skid, Ozzy, Surman. This is a lost classic and hopefully we'll see it again soon!

Edited by RogerFarbey