Doc Pomus

Tom in RI

It's not jazz but I picked up this compilation on Rhino from 1996 in a cheapy used bin some time ago and I have to say, its pretty damn good. Features 14 artists each performing one song by this premier song writer. Performers include Los Lobos, Bob Dylan, Shawn Colvin, Irma Thomas, Dion, The Band, Aaron Neville, John Hiatt, BB King, Lou Reed, Rosanne Cash, Soloman Burke, Dr. John, and Brian Wilson.

If you see, it grab it. You won't be dissappointed.

It's not jazz but I picked up this compilation on Rhino from 1996 in a cheapy used bin some time ago and I have to say, its pretty damn good. Features 14 artists each performing one song by this premier song writer. Performers include Los Lobos, Bob Dylan, Shawn Colvin, Irma Thomas, Dion, The Band, Aaron Neville, John Hiatt, BB King, Lou Reed, Rosanne Cash, Soloman Burke, Dr. John, and Brian Wilson.

Johnny Adams "Sings Doc Pomus" is also a fine album.

Seconded. I picked this cassette up in a Big Lots cutout bin some years back. Great, great stuff. Survived two car decks and working on the third.

Knowing that it was Doc Pomus who wrote "Save The Last Dance For Me" makes hearing that song a deeply moving experience for me.

Phil Spector put it best:

"And this man was more than a songwriter. He was a poet, for I need not remind you that while he wrote 'Save the Last Dance for Me,' he never experienced the thrill or emotion of that wonderful feeling."

- from Phil Spector's speech inducting Doc Pomus into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame