Morgan Freeman as Duke Ellington...

Has there ever been a good one?

Bird was such a depressing disaster.

Lady Sings the Blues was a crime.

I can't wait until Mary J. Blige makes the Nina Simone movie.

466c6e90.jpg

Should be a classic.

Ahhh. I sense a meeting of the minds.

"Has there ever been a good one?"

You mean movie about musicians ?

No..there has never been a good one.

Not only that, but they are so far off the mark that they make me cringe. Literally.

The only reason so far (after the first viewing, just in case they finally hit it right) is to see the real cats in the flick.

MartyJazz: "Dustin Hoffman, of course. Hey, he played Lenny Bruce, that casting was equally as :crazy: "

As someone who was around Lenny, I have to tell you that I was stunned at the accuracy with which Hoffman portrayed him. Hoffman was Bruce--it was brilliant casting--so I hope you're joking.

Yes, I was joking....to a degree as Dustin Hoffman is one of my favorite actors. I don't think there's anyone else alive who could convincingly take on such disparate roles as "Tootsie" and "Rain Man". However when it came to "Lenny", I thought DH was great when he was "off stage". He was not convincing doing Lenny's stand up material, which in a way is very understandable as stand up comedy is, IMO, the hardest thing to do. I'm afraid that I've listened to Bruce's Fantasy LPs so many times over the years that I wasn't going to be completely satisfied no matter who played the role. All this aside, I bow to your opinion as it is based on first hand knowledge of the subject.

duke ellington scholars: is there any truth to this plot? what is currently known about this tour? is there any truth to the part of the plot regarding spies within the touring group?

No idea if there is any truth to this plot.

That Middle East tour looked pretty successful. The Ellington band arrived in Bagdad on November 10, 1963 and played concerts on the 12th and 14th at Khuld Hall before traveling on to Beirut.

Details from the 'Duke Ellington Day By Day' invaluable book by Klaus Stratemann.

The book also notes that the tour was so successful that CBS sent a five-man crew to film the rest of the tour. But on November 22, JFK was assassinated and the rest of the tour was cancelled.

Hope the screenwriters are not working out a plot that would link Lee Harvey Oswald to all this!