What would you do if you had to sell your music collection?

Hardbopjazz

It seems to me that the best way to do it is by offering individual items in online auctions. You would want to have an image of each album, a friendly format, and a lot of information about each album. You would then have to administer the receipt of payments and the mailing out of items so that everything ran smoothly, quickly and as close to perfect as possible. It would take a lot of time to do it right and maximize your sales prices. It would become a full time job if done on a large scale at once. Retirement years would seem to be the time to do it.

So don't worry about not saving enough for retirement--you have your music collection as your capital. You may be too deaf to listen to it at some point anyway.

It seems to me that the best way to do it is by offering individual items in online auctions. You would want to have an image of each album, a friendly format, and a lot of information about each album. You would then have to administer the receipt of payments and the mailing out of items so that everything ran smoothly, quickly and as close to perfect as possible. It would take a lot of time to do it right and maximize your sales prices. It would become a full time job if done on a large scale at once. Retirement years would seem to be the time to do it.

So don't worry about not saving enough for retirement--you have your music collection as your capital. You may be too deaf to listen to it at some point anyway.

Oi!

I've been saving my collection up so that, now I've retired, I can listen to it! :crazy:

My wife will have the bother of flogging it. It is NOT a job for retirement!

MG

Oi!

I've been saving my collection up so that, now I've retired, I can listen to it! :crazy:

MG

You have a nice wife! Mine would never let me listen to it, if I was retired and at home with her. I wouldn't have a moment's peace if I tried, so I might as well sell it then.

Oi!

MG

You have a nice wife! Mine would never let me listen to it, if I was retired and at home with her. I wouldn't have a moment's peace if I tried, so I might as well sell it then.

We moved to a bigger house, partly because it enabled her to get me a bit farther away - I'm upstairs with the records, she's downstairs with the TV. And when she goes out visiting, I crank the volume up more than a tad. She actually hates the music.

MG

If you have to sell it, you do so, auctioning the most valuable stuff and listing everything else on bulletin boards like those on organissimo website.

Since my wife and I paid off our mortgage last year and we have no long term debt, it is hard to imagine

a scenario that would require me to sell my music collection.

I'm considering selling mine to finance an instrument purchase that I need to make. I don't listen to most of it much at all anymore anyway.

Well, if you have stereo copies of Jackie Ivory's "Soul Discovery" and Willis Jackson's "Swivelhips", put me down for those, please.

MG

We moved to a bigger house, partly because it enabled her to get me a bit farther away - I'm upstairs with the records, she's downstairs with the TV. And when she goes out visiting, I crank the volume up more than a tad. She actually hates the music.

MG

Yep, that describes life in the new Moose homestead as well, except the jazz room is at one end of the house rather than upstairs.

If I had to sell my collection I would sell it and go on. I'd probably start to build it back up but I would use stricter criteria on what I would purchase.

My feelings, exactly.

That would be my plan as well. But I'm pretty sure that stricter critieria thing would fall by the wayside pretty quickly... :lol:

In 2001 I sold my entire collection of about 8,700 LPs, and I mean practically every vinyl LP I had in the house, except for two 10" albums, the first I ever purchased ... I had been collecting since 1952! I just wanted to downsize, and by then I already had about 1,200 CDs ... I regret to report that I now have about 3,800 CDs, and gaining fast. However, I have obvioulsy not been able to relace everything I had, but certainly many of the albums I loved the most. I am constantly and pleasantly surprised over what actually does find its way onto reissued CDs these days. Who would have figured things like John Laporta's Fantasy stuff, or Fredrich Gulda, or Jazz Studio 6, and recently Harry 'Sweets' Edison's "Sweets" and Herb Ellis's "Ellis in Wonderland" ... But on the other side, where are all the Norgram/Clef/Veve and Polygram Buddy DeFrancos????

I still feel a great loss, especially when I see great cover art, but I have plenty of music, and lots of "album art" books to make for it. .. and I just scored the Complete Emarcy Roland Kirk for a really good price ...

If I had to sell my collection I would sell it and go on. I'd probably start to build it back up but I would use stricter criteria on what I would purchase.

My feelings, exactly.

That would be my plan as well. But I'm pretty sure that stricter critieria thing would fall by the wayside pretty quickly... :lol:

Jazzmoose,Jazzmoose. :g

My feelings, exactly.

I sometimes think that it would be a relief to be out from under the weight of it all.

I've always felt that I operated under a pretty strict set of criteria myself, but it's funny how some of the more, shall we say, "peripheral" sessions are the most enjoyable, for the short term anyway. I wonder how much of the "classic" stuff I'd re-acquire.

I think I'd sell my comic books first.