Duke - "Cote d'Azur Concerts" 8 cd set

Dmitry

I think in the end it works out to 5 CDs of Duke's material and 3 of Ella. There are probably a few performances of her singing with his group but not too many.

Here's a promotional blurb -- maybe she sings more with Duke than I remember. Anyway, some really nice music.

Product Description

"Brings together a wealth of unissued material from Ella and Duke's most celebrated live recordings — by her trio and by his orchestra, as well as dazzling sets by their joint groups. Substantially expanding upon the previously reissued 2-CD Set, Ella & Duke at the Cote d'Azur.

This deluxe, 8-CD package includes:

* 96 Tracks, 78 issued for the first time

* over 7 hours of music in all, plus the rehearsal on disc 8

* an entire disc devoted to a fascinating Ellington orchestra rehearsal

Included are these classic songs associated with Ella and Duke:

* Ella: "Misty", "Lullaby of Birdland" and "Jazz Samba"

* Duke: "Such a Sweet Thunder", "Caravan", and "Rock and Rhythm"

* Ella and Duke: "Cotton Tail", "Something To Live For" and "Mack the Knife"

and many more!

In addition to Ella and Duke, star soloists in these concerts include:

* Lawrence Brown

* Cootie Williams

* Johnny Hodges

* Paul Gonsalves

* Cat Anderson

* Ray Nance

* Ben Webster

The authoritative, 130-page booklet includes:

* a candid, extensive interview by Peter Pullman with producer Norman Granz

* an overview, by Michael Ullman, of the stars' careers

* an analysis, by Ellington-scholar Brian Priestly, of the unissued material

* a complete discography and list of solo identifications

* many photographs from the concerts

The price is a little high - can't remember what I paid - but when you figure in shipping a used copy, it works out about the same.

Edited by ejp626

I think this is an okay price on a great box set!

It is/was expensive new.

I have actually been revisiting this set. I love the performances here, and there are some items rarely performed elsewhere on this set. Also, there is some great playing by then guests to the band Nance and (yes) Webster. And the Ella material is strong. The rehearsal disc is also quite fascinating. If you happen to be big on Ellington this is a set unlike others.

To add something different than "great set" & "must buy"...... I had it and sold it because the playing of the Ellington band is very much below their standard (sloppy themes and missed notes, bad colectives, etc.). They must have been enjoying the riviera (with all the temptations available ie drugs, women, alcohol, etc.) but surely they didn't give their best performance wise.

The tracks issued orriginally by Verve (Soul Call if I'm correct) are good but the rest not so imo. There's enough Ellington out there which is much much better.

Edited by Bluerein

To add something different than "great set" & "must buy"...... I had it and sold it because the playing of the Ellington band is very much below their standard (sloppy themes and missed notes, bad colectives, etc.). They must have been enjoying the riviera (with all the temptations available ie drugs, women, alcohol, etc.) but surely they didn't give their best performance wise.

The tracks issued orriginally by Verve (Soul Call if I'm correct) are good but the rest not so imo. There's enough Ellington out there which is much much better.

Agree! I had it and sold it too.

I had the 2 cd set and sold it so I guess I did not think it was so great.

I have a vague memory that in the liner notes it said that Ella had lost someone quite close to her on the very eve of these performances and that may have negatively affected her performance on these sides.

I have a vague memory that in the liner notes it said that Ella had lost someone quite close to her on the very eve of these performances and that may have negatively affected her performance on these sides.

Her half-sister with whom she had been very close, I believe. Also, I don't remember comments about her performances being negatively affected, but rather about her professionalism in giving good performances under difficult personal circumstances. I've never seen any criticism of Ella's performances on these dates--only of the Ellington band's (along the lines seen in this thread).