BFT #32 Answers disc 1

Stefan Wood

All right, let's get down to business. Here are the answers to disc one of the blindfold test:

Track One:

Not Enough Mama - Horace Silver (Jazz.... Has a Sense of Humor - Verve/GRP 1999)

with Ryan Kisor - t; Jimmy Greene - tenor and soprano sax; John Webber - b; Willie Jones - d.

I wanted to put one of the tracks from this very overlooked cd in the BFT. I think it is as fine a session that Silver has had in his post- Blue Note era. This is a tight group with fine all around playing and Silver's compositions are recognizable. This is out of print, but you can still nab it for $3 at Amazon.

Track Two:

We're Going Up - Eric Kloss (We're Goin Up - Prestige)

with Jimmy Owens - t; Kenny Barron - p; Bob Cranshaw - b; Alan Dawson - d

Mid-60's hard bop.

Track Three:

Bohemia After Dark - Eddy Louiss (Bohemia After Dark - Antilles Jazz in Paris series)

with Jimmy Gourley - g; Guy Pederson - double bass; Kenny Clarke -d

Recorded in late 1972.

Track Four:

Multiphone Blues - Dick Griffin (The Eighth Wonder & More - Konnex)

with Clifford Jordan - tenor sax; Bill Saxton - Tenor Sax; Don Smith - f & p; Billy Hart - d; Freddie Waits - d; Calvin Hill - b; Lawrence Killian - conga; Hubert Eves - p

Track Five:

Motherless Child - Luis Gasca (The Little Giant - Atlantic)

with Joe Henderson - tenor sax; Mark Levine - p; Dave Herscher - b; Mongo Santamaria - congas; Jullito Caollazo - bata; Steve Berrios - timbales; Marty Sheller - cowbell

Recorded in 1969, a nice latin jazz tune from Gasca, who recorded very little, but what I have managed to find I like. There is a session on Blue Thumb, also with Joe Henderson that is a bit more trippy but still jazz oriented. This can be found on Collectables with Ira Sullivan's "Horizons."

Track Six:

Soul Proptietor - Ralph Bowen (Soul Proprietor - Criss Cross)

with Sam Yahel -o; Peter Bernstein - g; Brian Blade - d, John Swana - t

Track Seven:

Three Little Words - Joe Farrell/Louis Hayes (Vim n Vigor - Timeless)

This is the cd that has that funny cover of a female body builder striking a pose. I like Joe Farrell, from his playing in the Elvin Jones trio on Blue Note, and even his CTI material, which is as funky as it gets. Solid playing.

Track Eight:

The Awakening - Michael Thomas (The Awakening - Jazhead)

with Zach Graddy; Darius Scott; Kent Miller; Frank Williams

Everyone hated this one. :beee: Michael is a DC musician; been around for some time, plays Blue Note derivative hard bop, and is great to see live. Sometimes I catch his group playing up the street at a local church.

Track Nine:

5-4 Thing - Eastern Rebellion (Eastern Rebellion - Bellaphon)

with Cedar Walton - p; Sam Jones - b; George Coleman - tenor sax; Billy Higgins - d

1975 session. Terriffic!

Track Ten:

A Little Twist - New Jazz Composers Octet (Walkin the Line - Fresh Sounds New Talent)

with David Weiss -t; Xavier Davis - p; Myron Walden - alto sax; Nasheet Waits -d; Dwayne Burno - b; Steve Davis - trombone; guests - Jimmy Greene, Andrew Williams, Chris Karlic, Craig Handy and Joe Chambers

Track Eleven:

The Coaster - John Patton/Grachan Moncur (Soul Connection - Nilva)

with Grant Reed - tenor sax; Melvin Soarks - g; Alvin Queen - d

This is a fantastic album that deserves to be reissued.

Disc two later......

Edited by Stefan Wood

Track Six:

Soul Proptietor - Ralph Bowen (Soul Proprietor - Criss Cross)

with Sam Yahel -o; Peter Bernstein - g; Brian Blade - d, John Swana - t

Okay - Yahel and Blade are the most obvious partners with Bernstein after Goldings and Stewart - Blade's name was on my tongue .... one to get!