Mike Hennessey's 'Klook'

I bought my copy in 1994 and read right through it. I understood Mike Hennessey was pretty close to Clarke, so the personal accounts should be accurate. It gives some insights in Klook's personality and attitudes I didn't find anywhere else.

There are some minor errors (just stepped over a misattribution of the Dizzy Gillespie Musicraft sessions to Prestige), but they are negligible. If you're a fan, I'd say get it. No other book on Klook around (but there is a chapter on Klook in Ursula Broschke-Davis' "Paris without regret" that is a nice complementary reading - Hennessey doesn't cite it). The personal recollections of many musicians that knew Clarke in the last part are nice, the discography of course is out of date as far as reissues are concerned, but pretty much complete and still useable.

Brownie,

I agree with mikeweil's statement.

I've read the book in English (from the library).

klook.jpg

Mike Hennessey sent me a German reedition a few months ago "Erinnerungen an Klook. Das Leben von Kenny Clarke", including corrections and some fine previously unpublished photographs from the Campi collection. There is also a CD-Rom joined to the book containing a very exhaustive discography of Kenny Clarke by Dr. Michael Frohne (a still-in-progress work). But I wonder why the German translation has no index. There is an index in the English version. I find it indispensable.

3854452454.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Steven

What fascinated me most about the book was how private Klook was about his childhood, and what exactly kept him from returning to Pittsburg (I think he came back once or twice after he left). He also contradicted himself quite a bit, which Hennessey points out at various points in the book.

Another fascinating thing was that he was a Muslim, despite the fact that he never went to the mosque, and married a Jewish woman. I wonder what his son Laurent (w/ his Dutch wife) is doing today? I'm also interested in knowing the status of the neighborhood and the house they lived in.

Have not finished the book yet but what I have read so far was very interesting. Better than I thought it would be.

I was afraid that Mike Hennessey would write a one-dimensional biography (there have been too many of those) but he does a very fine job of exploring the various sides of Kenny Clarke.

The story of Klook's departure from the Modern Jazz Quartet is very truthful. So were the accounts of his marriage/affairs with Carmen McRae and Annie Ross.

This was also for me a voyage through the past and brought back memories of various evenings listening to this magnificient drummer at the Club Saint-Germain and the Blue Note (the Paris one!), among other places!

A wonderful read so far!

funny that he married a Jew, because he makes some anti-semitic remarks in Notes and Tones - I told Dick Katz about this and he said, "ah, don't worry about it, he's crazy."

Mike Henessey goes into the subject rather honestly and writes that 'Clarke was not completely innocent of radial prejudices himself' and made several deprecating remarks towards jews, whites, arabs, etc... also. Went with the character which could be pretty abrasive sometimes. But - will all due respect to Dick Katz - would not call him 'crazy'.

There were other examples in the jazz world including LeRoi Jones (who abandoned his jewish wife and their two daughters) or John Lewis (who had an infatuation with one of Benny Goodman's daughter and was turned down by BG).