Jazzville vol 1-4 on Dawn - how is it ?

Hi,

just saw in a small shop this nice reissue, Jazzville Volumes 1-4 (Dawn) on 2CDs, but after some google searches I could find no review or description of the music contained.

Does someone have it, can I have a brief description of the music/style etc.?

Is it worth snatching it ?

thanks !

Some of it is pretty nice!

Jazzville - 2 Cds

Various Artists

Featuring: Dick Sherman, Eddie Mattson, Frank Rehak, Melba Liston, Gene Quill, Norm Marnell, Marty Flax, Dick Katz, Walter Davis Jr., Alex Smith, Teddy Kotick, Nelson Boyd, Paul Worthington, Art Taylor, Charlie Persip

REFERENCE: DCD 114

BAR CODE: 84 27328 44114 8

PRICE: 12.00 €

Tracklisting:

CD 1

1. Blues For The Camels

2. Lover Man

3. Achilles Heel

4. Everything Happens To Me

5. Rubbin The Genie

6. Insomnia

7. Very Syrian Business

8. Never Do An Abadanian In

9. Zagres This

10. Donnybrook

11. Limehouse Blues

12. Darn That Dream

13. That´S Earl Brothers

14. Nothing Could Be Finer Than Mi

15. Have You Met Miss Jones

16. Body And Soul

CD 2

1. Blues For Sal

2. Flying Home

3. Aaron´S Blues

4. You´re My Thrill

5. Platter Pie

6. Why Shouldn´t I

7. Ah The Pain

8. Everything I´Ve Got

9. Irma

10. Things I Love The

11. Why Was I Born

12. Suddenly It´s Spring

13. My Future Just Passed

14. Enchanted April

15. Lover Come Back To Me

16. Ain´t Misbehavin'

The above info is from the Freshsound Records homepage.

Disc one has Gene Quill and other minor figures, very nice music, disc two is rather obscure, at least in parts (and those parts are maybe the lesser).

You have to be aware that not all four albums are included. Rather, some cuts were added to other releases. I am not sure how much is missing, but I think at least one LP side is on the Paul Quinichette disc on Dawn (which comes highly recommended! It's called "The Kid from Denver - Complete Dawn Recordings").

As for "music/style": generally hardbop, but not of the blazing Blue Note or blowing Prestige kind, rather closer to some of what Savoy did on the mid fifties. Maybe some of it is "swing-to-bop" rather than actual bop, maybe most is "bop" rather than "hardbop"... hard to put words on music...

Fresh Sound or rather Blue Moon did a nice job of adding most of the Jazzville tracks to the CD reissues of other material of these artists, I have the Jazz Modes, Mat Mathews, and Quinichette sides in that form. You should consider this as it may evoke the appetite for more .... but it looks like the ones listed above are available only on that double.

Yes, that music is harmonically up to date for its time, but has a very nice chamber jazz quality at the same time. The "miscellaneous instrument fraction" was very prominent on Dawn: French horn, cello, accordion, flute .....

Edited by mikeweil

You have to be aware that not all four albums are included. Rather, some cuts were added to other releases. I am not sure how much is missing, but I think at least one LP side is on the Paul Quinichette disc on Dawn (which comes highly recommended! It's called "The Kid from Denver - Complete Dawn Recordings").

The Charlie Rouse-Julius Watkins material from the Jazzville Vol. 1 Lp is not included in the 2-CD compilation . It is included on this other Dawn CD :

c868.jpg

The Gene Roland-Paul Quinichette material from the Jazzville Vol. 4 Lp is included on this CD :

quinichette_kid.jpg

Here are the 4 Lp covers from the Jazzville series :

DawnJazzvilleSeries.jpg

Edit to replace broken image link

Edited by Chas

it ain't right, please, to call Gene Quill a "minor" figure - he was one of the greatest alto players of that era -

Allen, I guess you're absolutely right... but what I meant was he's perceived as a minor figure nowadays (if he's perceived *at all*...)

Oh, same for Rehak! Great player, in my opinion!

The Quinichette on Freshsound/Dawn has a different cover:

quinic_paul_kidfromde_101b.jpg

And yes Mike: the 2CD set collects all the tracks that have *not* been added to other CD reissues. No duplication at all, I think.