2006 MLB Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they're barely a .500 team, with the Marlins about to pass them. That merits MVP? The MVP is Beltran. Howard may the best player. MVP? Not exactly.

Oh please.

Beltran has way more help than Howard and you know it. The Phillies would be right up there w/ the Mets if they didn't have the WORST starting pitching in the NL.

Marlins ain't passing the Phils.*

Edit - *At least not tonight.

Edited by Chalupa

blah expletive, blah expletive, blah blah

Did you come here just to belittle people about baseball?

As his "bitch" I'd like to say "it sure looks that way."

Uh Dan, anytime someone disagree with you about anything regarding baseball, you immediately tear into a personal vendetta against them. You ripped MartyJazz a new one earlier in this thread because his predictions didn't jibe with your knowledge.

You're constantly belittling JazzyPaul about his White Sox, for no other reason other than they had the nerve to win the World Series after they had offended the baseball gods way back when.

You've belittled my Rangers and I've taken it all in stride because I know what a mediocre team they are. But God forbid anyone insult your beloved Red Sox, especially based on what you know.

Heatwave hasn't been very nice to you, but I don't blame him. You weren't exactly welcoming to him when he first started posting here. Jeez, he says something negative about the Sox and you take it as a personal attack. Lighten up, fercryinoutloud! So what if it was baseless? SO FUCKING WHAT???? If the Red Sox are THAT important to you, you need to get a life.

And I know I've raised your blood pressure by posting this which will no doubt cause you to refer to me as "dipshit," "asshole," etc etc etc. Be my guest. You've already called me (and the other baseball-loving posters on this thread) a "fucker," so, really, I don't care anymore. You're not the victim here, Dan, so quit acting like you can't understand why someone's pissing on your shoes after you've shit in his backyard.

If anybody on the board is an Astros fan you have Oswalt locked up for the next five years-73 million.

Wow, the poor city of St. Louis will have to drown their sorrows in Bud as the hot rumor had him going there in the offseason. (Now see if Portland OR had a team and failed to land him, they could drown their sorrows in much better beer!)

Well what the hell, good for Houston. If he stays healthy he should pass Joe Niekro's 144 wins for the franchise lead.

Uh Dan, anytime someone disagree with you about anything regarding baseball, you immediately tear into a personal vendetta against them. You ripped MartyJazz a new one earlier in this thread because his predictions didn't jibe with your knowledge.

You're constantly belittling JazzyPaul about his White Sox, for no other reason other than they had the nerve to win the World Series after they had offended the baseball gods way back when.

You've belittled my Rangers and I've taken it all in stride because I know what a mediocre team they are. But God forbid anyone insult your beloved Red Sox, especially based on what you know.

Heatwave hasn't been very nice to you, but I don't blame him. You weren't exactly welcoming to him when he first started posting here. Jeez, he says something negative about the Sox and you take it as a personal attack. Lighten up, fercryinoutloud! So what if it was baseless? SO FUCKING WHAT???? If the Red Sox are THAT important to you, you need to get a life.

And I know I've raised your blood pressure by posting this which will no doubt cause you to refer to me as "dipshit," "asshole," etc etc etc. Be my guest. You've already called me (and the other baseball-loving posters on this thread) a "fucker," so, really, I don't care anymore. You're not the victim here, Dan, so quit acting like you can't understand why someone's pissing on your shoes after you've shit in his backyard.

One, I've never ripped Marty a new one. I would never do that to someone I know personally.

Two, the phrase "so long, fuckers" was lifted from a movie and I presumed that people understood the reference, particularly when I added a frame from the movie as reference.

Lastly, I would never tear into you, Al, because again, I "know" you and have a decent level of respect for you.

I'd love to see him go to the Twins for a mid-level prospect.

Nice idea, but I don't know if the Twins would do it. They keep a pretty tight hold on all of their prospects. Terry Ryan (Twins GM) doesn't seems willing to give up prospects for a player that will only help in the short term. In recent years, at the trade deadline, he has passed on trades for many impact players that were available for this reason.

Thank goodness they did because many of the deals demanded Liriano as one of the prospects.

I bet you're right, but with Wells retiring, maybe a deal could be made for a low-level, nothing to write home about prospect. I'm just looking at any possibility that strengthens the Twins to take their shot at the Yanks with a great chance to ruin their season.

Ah, the blithering idiot is back, making more foolish prognostications. It's nice to see that Mr. Clutch was terrified into an irregular heartbeat by the pummeling that the Yankees administrered on the hapless Red Sox last week. So much for the MVP. And it's also nice to blame injuries for the Red Sox lost season. Douchebag: the season was lost long before this week. Are you so stupid that you failed to monitor HOW the Red Sox managed to stay competetive in the A.L. until July? They beat up on the National League, which is an absolutely awful league this year. Even before the Yankees stuck a sword in them, the Red Sox were a .500 team vs. their own league. That's simply not playoff caliber.

Time for the first installment of the Truth Patrol:

THE FACTS:

On July 20th, the Red Sox were 58-36, 22 games over .500.

Interleague play was long finished at that point, and the Red Sox were 16-2 against the NL.

THIS MEANS THAT THE RED SOX WERE 8 GAMES OVER .500 AGAINST AL TEAMS.

What happened on July 20th? Tim Wakefield was placed on the DL.

Within 10 days, Trot Nixon and Jason Varitek followed him, and in the month since, Gonzales, Manny, Lester and Ortiz have been disabled or lost for significant periods. And we all know what their record has been ever since.

Truth Patrol signing off.

Edited by Dan Gould

Bad management. Theo apparently dismantled his 2004 team to build for 2008 (when Schilling and Ramirez will be gone). Good luck with that.

Truth Patrol back again:

THE FACTS:

Manny Ramirez is signed through the 2008 season. The club holds an option on the 2009 season.

Beckett is a total wild card, but he's been so awful this year (few "quality starts," which is a fairly low barometer of success, when you think about it)

Truth Patrol Reporting Again:

THE FACTS

At the time this statement was made, Beckett had 16 "quality starts" out of 26.

The ratio is now 18 of 28.

Sometimes the Red Sox make the more attractive offer (Schilling, Ramirez), and sometimes the Yankees do (Bernie Williams, A-Rod).

Last installment for now of the Truth Patrol:

THE FACTS:

Schilling WAS NOT a free agent. No offer was made to Schilling to secure his services; an offer was made to the D-Backs; after the trade was accepted, Theo convinced Schilling to approve the trade and signed him to an extention.

Sometimes the Red Sox make the hard decision to let a productive player walk and spend the money elsewhere (Damon, Pedro), and sometimes the Yankees do (Pettitte, Nelson, Gordon, Clemens and probably Bernie Williams and Gary Sheffield for 2007)

THE FACTS:

Roger Clemens "retired" after the 2003 season. The Yankees made no decision to "let him walk" but simply took him at his word and did not even offer salary arbitration. Clemens "unretired" after Pettite signed with Houston.

Truth Patrol signing off til the next time.

Anyway, we have, on record, these (obviously untouched by Red Sox bias) predictions which you don't have the option of ignoring ... and a sweep by the Twins if they should play the Yankees in the playoffs.

Reading comprehension just isn't your thing, is it?

The prediction was, in all iterations, predicated on David Wells joining the Twins, and/or Liriano returning in time for the playoffs.

Said prediction is therefore null and void unless the Twins go into a playoff series against the Yankees with Santana and Wells, Santana and Liriano, or Santana, Wells and Liriano, and furthermore, I specifically stated that Santana-Wells-Radke would be a four game Twin victory, not a sweep.

Here's a helpful hint:

Read a sentence. Read it again. Compare your understanding of the sentence after you've read it twice. If your understanding is the same, congratulations, you have probably successfully read the sentence. If however your understanding is not the same, repeat as necessary until your understanding of the sentence's meaning is the same in successive readings.

Also, don't be embarassed to move your lips while reading. It has been shown to aid comprehension in low IQ individuals.

In all fairness, Dan has never "ripped me a new one" and has never gotten "personal" with me. Our discussions have always been cordial and I have always felt that he respects my knowledge of baseball (I am 20 years older) as well as I respect his.

One, I've never ripped Marty a new one. I would never do that to someone I know personally.

Two, the phrase "so long, fuckers" was lifted from a movie and I presumed that people understood the reference, particularly when I added a frame from the movie as reference.

Lastly, I would never tear into you, Al, because again, I "know" you and have a decent level of respect for you.

Notice how you didn't for a second even try to respond to your belittling of the defending world champions.

Don't worry, Dan, I forgive you.

:g

Notice how you didn't for a second even try to respond to your belittling of the defending world champions.

Don't worry, Dan, I forgive you.

:g

I knew you did, Paul. :P

And as a way of atonement, I'll make no comments whatsoever when you follow up a championship by not even making the playoffs. :g

Bad management. Theo apparently dismantled his 2004 team to build for 2008 (when Schilling and Ramirez will be gone). Good luck with that.

Truth Patrol back again:

THE FACTS:

Manny Ramirez is signed through the 2008 season. The club holds an option on the 2009 season.

The real truth:

Manny will be traded by 2008. That is what I was referring to. The team has tried frantically to trade him every year since 2004. There were no takers because he's not worth his contract, but with only a year remaining on it, it is likely that they'll find someone to bite either this offseason or during next year.

Sometimes the Red Sox make the more attractive offer (Schilling, Ramirez), and sometimes the Yankees do (Bernie Williams, A-Rod).

Last installment for now of the Truth Patrol:

THE FACTS:

Schilling WAS NOT a free agent. No offer was made to Schilling to secure his services; an offer was made to the D-Backs; after the trade was accepted, Theo convinced Schilling to approve the trade and signed him to an extention.

Sometimes the Red Sox make the hard decision to let a productive player walk and spend the money elsewhere (Damon, Pedro), and sometimes the Yankees do (Pettitte, Nelson, Gordon, Clemens and probably Bernie Williams and Gary Sheffield for 2007)

THE FACTS:

Roger Clemens "retired" after the 2003 season. The Yankees made no decision to "let him walk" but simply took him at his word and did not even offer salary arbitration. Clemens "unretired" after Pettite signed with Houston.

Truth Patrol signing off til the next time.

The real truth:

Nowhere did I say that Schilling was a free agent. Obviously frustrated by my superior knowledge, you pathetically try to misquote me on an irrelevant issue in order to "prove" me wrong. My point stands: The Yankees were interested in getting Schilling from the D-Backs the same year that Boston was, and they decided to let Boston be the highest bidder. Boston was determined to offer more, and the Yankees deemed Schilling not worth it. A franchise with unlimited resources could have have made a cash offer to Arizona that they would not have refused, had the Yankees really wanted Schilling.