2006 MLB Thread

I still think A-Rod, if he stays healthy, will pass whatever new mark Bonds sets... and btw, I finally believe the Yanks are indeed going to win the AL East (sigh of relief):

Streaking A-Rod lifts Yanks; slumping Red Sox fall season-high 9 back

September 4, 2006

A-Rod's slump is a thing of the past, and the streaking New York Yankees are leaving Boston far behind in the AL East.

The sinking Red Sox are getting some of their regulars back, but they can only hope it's not too late to make a final playoff push.

Alex Rodriguez hit two more homers and drove in five runs, and Darrell Rasner (1-0) pitched six impressive innings for his first major league victory to lead the Yankees past the Minnesota Twins 10-1 on Sunday. The win increased New York's division lead over Boston to a season-high nine games.

Entering Thursday, A-Rod was in a 1-for-24 skid that left fans booing him at Yankee Stadium again. He's hit five homers in four days since.

"It's been fun because the team has been playing so well," Rodriguez said. "I think everybody's been a lot more panicked than I have."

He reached 30 homers and 100 RBIs for the ninth straight season. Jimmie Foxx is the only player with a longer streak, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He did it 12 straight years from 1929-40.

"He can put numbers up like nobody, with his ability," manager Joe Torre said.

At Boston, the Red Sox were shut out for six innings by Gustavo Chacin and lost for the 16th time in 21 games. They are facing their largest deficit since trailing by nine on Aug. 17, 2004. The Red Sox also trail Chicago by 6 1/2 games in the AL wild-card race.

"We're all going to work hard to do whatever we can to hopefully get into the postseason," said outfielder Trot Nixon, who was activated from the disabled list along with catcher Jason Varitek and shortstop Alex Gonzalez before the game.

"A lot of people may laugh at that, but if you don't have that kind of goal, that kind of drive, then you don't need to play in September," he said.

In other AL games, it was Los Angeles 2, Detroit 1; Kansas City 7, Chicago 3; Oakland 10, Baltimore 1; Texas 5, Cleveland 2; and Tampa Bay 7, Seattle 6.

Bobby Abreu doubled three times, and Jorge Posada and Robinson Cano added three hits apiece for the Yankees, who took two of three from Minnesota in a possible playoff preview.

Rodriguez hit a solo shot off Matt Garza (1-4) in the fifth and a three-run drive off Pat Neshek in the seventh.

Torii Hunter homered for the Twins, who dropped to 2-13 at Yankee Stadium since 2002 and trail Chicago by a half-game in the AL wild-card race.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time missed by Ortiz, Ramirez and the Cancer Kid aren't even relevant, because the Red Sox were out of it by then. And Cancer Boy was sucking up the ballpark, anyway, with his bad starts and watching his trade value plummet.

Bad management. Bad front office. Bad team. And nothing looks to improve for 2007. Enjoy all that. Maybe if they put a chemo unit in the clubhouse, Cancer Boy can provide the "leadership" you covet?

"Cancer boy?" "Cancer kid?" That's just rude, tasteless, completely uncalled-for, and totally wrong. :angry:

Please, take your Red Sox trash-talking to the Red Sox fan forum, where you can trash them to your heart's content.

Dan and I have had our moments in the past, but I think we've learned to respect eachother and I consider him a friend. While I was a bit taken aback by some of the exchanges between him and Heatwave, that was between the two of them and none of my business. This, however, takes things to an altogether different level. Now it is my business. I think I speak for all of us when I say that these kind of remarks have no place on this board. Heatwave, please, haul your twisted psyche someplace else. You're not welcome here.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Maybe it's me, but I don't understand this Internet/talk radio breed of angry sports fan. I've been a baseball fan since I was a little kid when my father took me and my brother to the Polo Grounds, for christsakes, to see the Mets. In all that time I've never felt the need to lash out at any players. I may have been disappointed a few thousand times, but it never caused me to spew hatred at anyone. This morning on WFAN in NY I heard some foaming at the mouth caller repeatedly calling Met pitcher Steve Traschel "a bum" All the guy's done this year is win 14 games, admitedly he's got a high ERA and he's won with a ton of run suport, but that's the game.

Here's a great Bob Ryan column on the subject of the "new fan"

Randy, completely agree with you... in fact I think I posted some similar thoughts a couple months back in this thread. (In regards to Yankee fans booing Rodriguez.) I mean, I can understand how Bosox fans used to boo Ted Williams--he openly cultivated an antagonistic relationship with them. But to boo some poor sap because he's unable to perform at expected levels? (OK, rich sap, but still, when he's playing for the team you're backing...) Ridiculous--they should find another form of therapy.

I know its an impossible dream, but its nice to take the first two from Chicago. The team hasn't lay down yet ... even if Schilling is likely to miss at least another start, and while the Sox just released an encouraging report on Papelbon (nothing structural, no tears, he needs rest and a shoulder strengthening program), with no Schill and no Paps, its really impossible to think they can play well enough to beat the guys in front of them.

But what pitching in these first two games! Tavarez pitches 6+ innings and allows 2 ER, and tonite, a kid (Gabbard) who wasn't supposed to even reach AAA before next June pitches 7 shut out innings in a 1-0 win.

We go for the sweep Wednesday night on ESPN. :g

I know its an impossible dream, but its nice to take the first two from Chicago. The team hasn't lay down yet ... even if Schilling is likely to miss at least another start, and while the Sox just released an encouraging report on Papelbon (nothing structural, no tears, he needs rest and a shoulder strengthening program), with no Schill and no Paps, its really impossible to think they can play well enough to beat the guys in front of them.

But what pitching in these first two games! Tavarez pitches 6+ innings and allows 2 ER, and tonite, a kid (Gabbard) who wasn't supposed to even reach AAA before next June pitches 7 shut out innings in a 1-0 win.

I'd like to say no way, but we're playing the part of the paper tiger at the moment. I won't be surprised if y'all do sweep, but I'll hope otherwise.

I'd like to say no way, but we're playing the part of the paper tiger at the moment. I won't be surprised if y'all do sweep, but I'll hope otherwise.

Well, its Contreras vs Kyle Snyder which should be a mismatch but Contreras has had a pretty lousy second half. Snyder's an interesting project - former number one pick, unbelievable number of arm surgeries, KC gave up on him, but what I've seen suggests that there's still some talent there. Four decent pitches in his arsenal, but he seems to have trouble getting past the 5th inning before getting knocked around. Then he puts up numbers like his last start (7 shutout innings, 2 hits, 8 Ks) and you think maybe this guy can be successful in the future. I'm actually kinda glad he's on the roster, I think he could develop into a Bronson Arroyo kinda guy - spot start, long relief - maybe a solid #4 type. After his brutal stretch of injuries, you gotta pull for him.

What? No Marlins fans on this board? :huh: What am I saying? There are no Marlin fans in Florida! ^_^ Congrats to Anibal Sanchez for the No-no! :tup Can you imagine where this team would be if they had gone 21-21 instead of 11-31 to start the season? I still say, IF somehow they win the Wild card, they might just get to the W.S. Imagine the Twins and the Marlins in the W.S. :blink:

What? No Marlins fans on this board? :huh: What am I saying? There are no Marlin fans in Florida! ^_^ Congrats to Anibal Sanchez for the No-no! :tup Can you imagine where this team would be if they had gone 21-21 instead of 11-31 to start the season? I still say, IF somehow they win the Wild card, they might just get to the W.S. Imagine the Twins and the Marlins in the W.S. :blink:

I'm not a Marlins fan but if I had left the PC on last night I was going to come up and post. What a tremendous performance, and the way the Marlins have played this year, with that payroll (and owner, a true jackass) is just amazing.

What is killing me is that Hanley Ramirez and Anibel Sanchez were the two most important prospects the Sox shipped to Florida for Beckett & Lowell. :excited::angry:

Dan, at the risk of having even more talk about the Red Sox, :P I just checked out Beckett's stats. Have you heard much mention of the fact he has given up less hits, than innings pitched, yet has an E.R.A. over 5?? I mean, I know he gives up lots of homers, but if you look at his career he has always done that(Less hits than innings pitched) but had an E.R.A. in the 3's before this season. So, do people think he has followed Shilling a bit too much, always challenging folks?

Funny, I heard an interview with Joe Girardi talking about Sanchez, and how he was battling shoulder pain in spring training(And this after having Tommy John surgery at what, 19?) I can see why the Sox were willing to risk trading him ,but it may end up biting them in the butt....

Edited by BERIGAN

Dan, at the risk of having even more talk about the Red Sox, :P I just checked out Beckett's stats. Have you heard much mention of the fact he has given up less hits, than innings pitched, yet has an E.R.A. over 5?? I mean, I know he gives up lots of homers, but if you look at his career he has always done that(Less hits than innings pitched) but had an E.R.A. in the 3's before this season. So, do people think he has followed Shilling a bit too much, always challenging folks?

Funny, I heard an interview with Joe Girardi talking about Sanchez, and how he was battling shoulder pain in spring training(And this after having Tommy John surgery at what, 19?) I can see why the Sox were willing to risk trading him ,but it may end up biting them in the butt....

Well Conrad, I'm not sure its taking after Schilling too much as being too stubborn with his fastball. I mean, the guy says he's a "feel pitcher" and apparently it means that if he feels like throwing 20 FBs in a row, resulting in four homers and 9 runs, well that's what he felt like throwing. :g:crazy::angry:

He's definitely had a number of good starts - 18 out of 29 are "quality starts", and a lot of his peripherals are strong (Batting Average Against is .246, which is, for example, in Mussina range (.242) and much better than Wang (.272) but neither of those guys give up home runs like Beckett has.

Some of Schilling's best starts came right before Varitek went down, when he announced that he was going to let Varitek call his games. I really wish Beckett would do the same thing, and see what the results are. Or else someone should do a videotape analysis and show how many of Beckett's 34 homers have come immediately after he shook his head at the catcher. :o

As for Sanchez, yeah, it may very well bite us in the butt, particularly if Beckett doesn't make the adjustments and become the pitcher he's supposed to be. If he does, it won't hurt so much. Remember too that its Sanchez' first shot through the league (a crappy league, too) so let's not appoint him Roger Clemens just yet, just let him enjoy the moment.

Actually, I think giving up Hanley Ramirez may be the toughest thing to take about that trade. He's already a very good player and you know he'll get better. Probably the best thing to hope for is that its a trade where both teams end up happy. Certainly the Sox are happy with Lowell, who not only bounced back from his awful hitting, but is now hitting significantly better than his career batting average. The only real problem with him is that he's never busted out of his pattern of hitting signficantly worse after the ASB.

Here's video of Bert Blyleven talking like a Staten Island little leaguer live on a pre-game show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3Si6pY1do

"But we're live ..." :g

Where was Blyleven's mind, thinking that this was being taped for broadcast and not live? Sounds as messed up as Sutcliffe was a few months ago, but at least Sutcliffe had the excuse of being hammered.

Have to say I hate that fake announcer voice the play-by-play man has, and while I don't think I've ever heard Blyleven talk, it sure sounded like went to the School of Pukey Announcers before he got the gig.

Have to say I hate that fake announcer voice the play-by-play man has, and while I don't think I've ever heard Blyleven talk, it sure sounded like went to the School of Pukey Announcers before he got the gig.

The other announcer was a substitute for the regular announcer.

Blyleven is actually a very good, fun announcer. He is great at describing what is going through the minds of the pitcher during certain situations and when Gardenhire messes up he get's called on it.

My favorite on air Blyleven incident occurred this season. Blyleven's sidekick, Bremer, is a very prude, so much so that he refused to call the Best Damn Sports Show by its title, instead referring to it as the Best Sports Show. During a Twins game this season, an opposing player was at 2nd and they thought he was relaying the signs to the their team. Bremer made the mistake of asking Blyleven if he was ever in that situation. Blyleven replied that he had, so he walked off the mound and started accusing the player on 2nd of being a cheat, which the opposing player denied. Blyleven said he got out of the inning and the next time the player on 2nd was up to bat he threw one in under the rips. Bremer tried to make an excuse that the ball must have slipped, but Blyleven said no, he was a liar, so he got revenge. Once again Bremer tried to make things look better by saying that it wouldn't do that because it would be unsportsmen like to do that, but Blyleven replied that he deserved it.

The other thing he does that I think is funny is that he always makes fun of managers when they automatically pull pitchers when they come close to 100 pitches. He refers to it as lazy managing and proclaims that they have to do it because the pitcher might explode!

Dan, I can't believe you're not bringing up the White Sox v. Red Sox game last night.

:g

I was going to, to say that unfortunately we got a return to form by both pitchers: Contreras was lights out, Kyle Snyder not so much. But for that first inning, I thought Snyder was going to build on his great start against Toronto. How can it get away from someone that quickly? He's clearly got stuff - mid 90s fastball, killer 12-6 curve, decent change. and then ... :excited:

The other thing he does that I think is funny is that he always makes fun of managers when they automatically pull pitchers when they come close to 100 pitches. He refers to it as lazy managing and proclaims that they have to do it because the pitcher might explode!

Buck Showalter, are you listening????